Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Photo of DSR terminus at Harper & Morang? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember as a kid growing up in the Harper and Moross area the DSR rail terminus at Harper and Morang. If I recall right, the conductor had to get out and push the streetcar on a turntable to make the return run. (Or am I confusing this with the cable cars in SF?)

There was a so-called "comfort station" at the end of said line.

Are there any photos of said terminus or similar ones?

Also, was there a horse drinking trough at or near Harper and Morang?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Hereford over there. I can remember my dad saying something about the comfort station. I know that was the end of the line for the Cadillac-Harper bus route. I can also remember some of the old-timers at the Green Oaks bar talking about there being a bike racing track in that area. They called it a velodrome. I don't know if I spelled that correctly.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3547
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a discussion and pictures of this in a thread about 6 months ago. Something to do with east side bus routes.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/71497.html

Gistok

Post Number: 3552
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem, I couldn't find it. I love that thread. We should nominate it for the Hall of Fame.

Gistok

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, it's amazing how many threads we have going for the 48224 and 48236 far east side zip codes. Everything from the Milk River to Balduck Park, to DSR Bus Depots and St. Matthews Church.

There must really be a lot of far eastsiders on this Forum! :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of those threads should be assembled into a superthread called "A Prairie Home Companion."

Ordinary

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family was the only non-Belgian one on the block where I grew up. There was pigeon shit everywhere. Darn Belgians!

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I not only remember the Milk River before much of it was tunnelized under St. Clair Shores and GP, but I remember playing in the so-called "county ditches" that ran through Harper Woods in the '50s.

These county ditches were about six feet deep and when it rained it provided some adventure in an otherwide sterile NE side setting. Harper Woods was paved over around 1960 and the county ditches became concrete sewers. I was only 10 to 12 then and missed most of the natural setting of what was called Gratiot Township, now Harper Woods. I remember seeing pollywogs in HW. When Eastland Mall opened in 1957 nature was kaput on Wayne County's NE corner.

I have seen old maps that show the several rivers and creeks that ran through the NE side.

Gistok

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the history Al_t_publican!

I remember as a kid in the early 1960's there was a German park (private) called Schwaben Park. We used to go to Oktoberfest type festivals there. It was located behind the Bally Fitness Center at I-94 and old 8 Mile Road. That was when I-94 only went to Vernier.

It closed circa 1961-62, and part of that old park became the freeway where it starts curving westward. I believe that there are still a lot of old trees back in there, and there may be some parkland, but I'm not sure.

Ordinary

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
I think that park is still there and it's now called Brys Park.

Gistok

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ordinary,

I had heard that, but I never attempted to go back and see what I remember as a kid. I assume the entrance is from one of the side streets north of 8 Mile to be accessed from Harper.

I guess that means that the street name "Brys" continues into SCS. I am only familiar with that street in Grosse Pointe Woods because on the corner of Brys and Mack is my favorite bakery of all time... JOSEF'S!!

It's funny how in that area the ribbon farm grid and the mile road grid come together for some unusual angle changes in the direction of many of the streets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.