Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lost Buildings of Downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being 25 years old I am un aware of most buildings that are not downtown anymore. To give an idea I do not remember ever noticing the Hudsons Building. I come from a generation that has no clue what people are talking about when it comes to Hudsons downtown, though I can sure tell it must have been quite a place. Anyways is there any list online of fallen buildings of downtown. What do I not know about buildings that used to be downtown. I would be interested in seeing any photos or reading some stories of past buildings of downtown. oh and another idea thinking of buildings that never came to be such as the taller fisher building or the worlds tallest book tower were there any other interesting plans that came to being downtown. Ones that could have been done instead of the old Washington Blvd. pedestrian mall.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a interesting sight i found about existing buildings.
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/ diagrams/?c471

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site is probably the best resource for this, it has a photo of every building demolished downtown since 1976

http://detroit1976.com/

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, The Buildings of Detroit by W. Hawkins Ferry is the most comprehensive source for pictures and information about our architectural heritage. Published in 1968, it's long out of print; but John King Books will occasionally have a copy.

You are young. If you start slowly building a library now, in ten years you could have a good collection of Detroit books. Used book stores, estate sales, St. Vincent dePaul Society, etc. are good sources for old books. The process of building your collection will be an education and reward in itself.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3555
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr, I have the 1980 revised edition of that book.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update. I did not know it had been revised.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For kicks, I'd like to see all of our torn down buildings assembled - a new/old/faux city.

What would the skyline look like?

I bet we've tossed away the equivalent of a medium sized American city.

Pretty amazing when you think about it.

(Message edited by matt the deuce on February 01, 2007)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, I picked up a near mint copy of The Buildings of Detroit by W. Hawkins Ferry for 20.00 on eBay last year. The book is excellent.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, that's an awesome site, great link!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.