Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I miss Bob Bennett « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4423
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as the weather's getting cold and balmy, I can't help but think about the mornings waking up to WDIV and seeing good ol' reliable Bob Bennett reporting on some topic of the day. He'd be standing there in the pre-dawn hours reporting as snow and/ or sleet would rain down on him. He was so likable and did some of the most yeoman-esque work you could possibly ask of a reporter.

He was a trusted figure on television. I remember seeing the warm farewell that his colleagues bestowed upon him as well. And even on SportsRadio WDFN when they did the Famous Bobs tournament (akin to March Madness basketball), Bob Bennett actually won.

I can't help but think about him in the mornings now especially now that the weather's getting colder. Your presence and professionalism is missed, Bob.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That and his yearly paczki day reports from Hamtramck

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's even sadder that he didn't get to enjoy his retirement for very long....

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Anne Thomson was at channel 4 she used to get stuck with all of the "standing on a bridge overpass in a parka during a snow/sleet storm" kind of assignments. I had a friend who worked at 4 at the time and she said "Anne's just a really hard worker, she does whatever management asks with no fuss." Now she's in the big time.
But Bob was cool, and a class act.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That mantle of standing out in the middle of nowhere to do a story seems to have fallen on the shoulders of Fox 2's Al Allen.

These are the consumate pros who don't exactly dress in the chicest of overcoats, are usually donning some perfectly functional warm hat, sporting big honking mittens, just trying to maintain some level of decorum, and getting battered by the elements. While they might never win the big awards for the stations, they're always out there with a sense of purpose & journalistic pride.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First thing I thought of was Al Allen, then I see smogboy beat me to the punch.
Bob Bennett always did the tough job, freezing his butt off at some crazy time of the day or night. You really have to respect that type of reporter.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps when we're all done "Dodging the Lodge", we can rename one of the overpasses as the Bob Bennett Memorial Overpass.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Al Allen

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anne Thompson's years of standing on overpasses in the snow sure paid off. Last time I checked she was NBC's chief financial correspondent...not a bad leap from covering Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my remembrances was of Anne Thompson covering the '84 World Series. I believe it was her in the WDIV vehicle that got tipped over.

And Al Allen's been sporting some mighty fine chapeaus the last few mornings in this weather.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 629
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of my remembrances was of Anne Thompson covering the '84 World Series. I believe it was her in the WDIV vehicle that got tipped over.

I believe that was one of the Pistons championships.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.