Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Millender Apartments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to Detroit (well, actually lived here between 90-95 and moved back b/c of a boyfriend and job). I am looking to move into an apartment downtown (was trying to wait for home to sell in Charlotte but I can't wait any longer). I think I have pretty much settled on Millender and was hoping if anyone has any experience with this building (either as a tenant or a visitor), if you would not mind sharing. Thanks!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the hotel end of things, their staff is really nice. When Detroit Mercy hosted the regional conference for American Institute of Architecture Students, we had the event there. The hotel gave us one free room for the night, for having the event there. It was really a great location, but the building itself is rather simple on the inside.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, cheers for being able to move from Charlotte to Detroit. Wish I could do likewise. You happen to know if there are any blogging web sites like this, but for Charlotte?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a friend of mine lived in the millender for a bit while attending wayne state. i had an overall nice impression of the place, with good security at the front desk and a "convenience" store attached on the ground floor. nice location as well.

he always recommended that we park on brush or congress/randolph rather than in the structure, mostly for cost.

(Message edited by jtw on February 01, 2007)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people mover stop too

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm writing this from Millender and I have to say it's a great place. It's one of the pricier places in downtown but considering what you're getting for the money it's well worth it. It's safe, clean and has great location. You can basically workout, swim, play tennis, park, get on the People Mover, got to the Ren Cen and to the riverfront without going outside. The staff is friendly and responsive. You can buy $5 parking stickers so visitors can park in the parking garage, but the free Greektown parking garage is only a few blocks away. I highly recommend Millender. If you have any questions, send me an e-mail to 5column@gmail.com.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it not have two 'party stores' on just the ground floor of the building? One on each side I think. Sounds like the best building downtown, if that is the case! Convenient booze!

Limafin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, I don't know of a site like this in Charlotte. Don't congratulate me yet. I did it because I was involved in a long distance relationship and the person lived here. From the looks of it, I should have stayed in Charlotte (-;

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the Millender. It's convenient and nice that you can walk to restaurants in the RenCen. Sweetwater Tavern across the street is good and delivers to Millender. You're near Greektown. You have a parking garage under you (you have to pay extra for it) that has good security. Biggest downside: My place had no personality. I had a view of the river from my balcony, which was nice. But that's about it. It felt dated in a 1980s kind of way.
I think it's in a better location with more amenities than Trolley Plaza, but I'd rather go with a place in Merchants Row or one of the many lofts and condos going up.
It all depends how long you plan to stay there, I guess.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way Limafin. Detroit is one of my favorite cities in the country, and is definitely cooler than Charlotte. Charlotte has basically no history behind it and seems very fake. Sure Detroit doesn't exactly have that flashy new look of most of the cities that you want to tell people that you are from, but after going to school there for several years, I fell in love with it. It offers much more than Charlotte ever could, esp. for someone studying architecture as myself. Maybe I will learn to appreciate Charlotte as much as Detroit in five years, but right now it just seems like facades growing out of parking lots. Heck Charlotte doesn't even have a forum like this that I have found yet!

Limafin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, thank you for your advice regarding Millender. I've decided to lease an apartment there and I'm pretty excited about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute a lot more to this forum and maybe even meet more people once I'm settled in.

Cww
Username: Cww

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limafin,
I currently reside in Winston Salem, spend a lot of time in Charlotte, and lived in Millender before I went off to Grad School. Honestly, I can say it offers the best with regards to safety, cleanliness, and professional management.
I lived there for a year back in '05, and have to say you're close to everything, except the drive to midtown during evenings. Lots to do in a few blocks radius, and the tenants are either professionals, students at WSU, or retirees. Everyone is very friendly....
Feel free to contact me at wicklund@gmail.com if you have any further questons/concerns...

Mclite
Username: Mclite

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on your Millender Apartment. I lived there for one year and always say "it was all convenience and no charm." You can't beat the amenities in Detroit, but it is a little outdated. Best of luck to you in your new place and the minute you get settled in have some Sweetwater wings delivered to your apartment.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would kill for some Sweetwater wings right now.
Sigh. Will walk over after work. Nummy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.