Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mr. Cs Deli « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious if there's anyone else out there who worked there? It seemed like just about every eastside family shopped there.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't work there but all my friends did. Always got free pizza and booze.

Chalu64

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

T-
I hope I didn't give you any of those discounts. ; )

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. A's was way better.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I worked there, the one on mack. Cooler place from the other side fo the register.
They had some weird rule about wearing turtlenecks and I wasn't into it.
Great pizza, beer and atmosphere though.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at 8 and mack and also the one on 10 mile. ( my mom worked for them for a million years she started at morang)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. C's was owned by a Mr. Catalfio (can't remember his first name). He sold out a few years ago, and the chain is now owned by Chaldeans.

The people who took over and now run the chain are super nice. I know the managers of the Mack/Warren location and 10 Mile near Gratiot.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Gistok Tom and his brother Bill owned the stores together at first. Sometime in the 90s they split off and Bill owns the Car washes. Tom passed away in 2002( gosh i think thats the year) from lung cancer. sad. His wife is a client where I currently work.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were 3 Catalfio brothers who were partners in the delis at one time. One of them split from the business but later did the detailing at the car wash on Mack. His caricature holds the pizza on the Mr. C's logo.

To tie this to another eastside thread, the Catalfios were parishioners at St. Matthew's, which is one reason why Mr. C's Pizza was found in abundance there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Marquette School in the 1960's with a Bart Catalfio, not sure if he was related to these folks. Also there was a Catalfio who drowned in Lake St. Clair in the 1980's or thereabouts, but again, not sure if he was related.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in the Woods we use to always go to Mr C's. Now that we live in the Farms we go to that one often. I remember when the one in the Farms was Spirits. As a kids we use to search for returnables and take them to Spirits to get spending money.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a small child I lived near the 8 mile/Mack MrC's and went through middle school near the Mack/Warren MrC's. Many friends worked there in high school. Usually good selection, especially liked the breadsticks ready to go. Eventually discovered Mr. A's at Mack and Moross about 12 years ago... much better, fresh to-order subs at an even better price (they make the 8" subs with whatever you'd like in about 20 seconds, honestly) and pizza . In the summer they usually have Ashby's ice cream as well. Can't beat Mr. A's service.

(Message edited by Planner_727 on February 04, 2007)

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of Catalfio brothers was a parishioner at Star of the Sea in GPW. I would see him, his wife and 3 daughters there all the time while growing up.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. C's has the bomb ass pizza. My family and I would frequent both locations on Mack.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pizza was good. It stuck with you too.

I think I'm still digesting mine from 1987.

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody put love into their pizza like Mr.C's
On the pizza subject Little Italy's pizza (8 and Kelly) is still my favorite! (Sorry about the subject drift)

(Message edited by willmess01 on February 05, 2007)

Chalu64

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, was that the pizza from the Luau? I remember making those big party trays. Adding the "secret ingredient" that was mixed into the sauce. The pizza was hands down the best around.
It's definitely not the same with the new owners---something is missing.

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid my friends and I would get the "day old" pizza and
subs from Mr. C's. It was kind of nasty, but cheap. We would
sometimes "shoulder tap" out in front of the store near 8 & mack.
"Shoulder tapping" was simply asking a stranger to buy you booze. Looking back as an adult, I can't believe that people/adults would actually do this. I
worked at their car wash too when they first open ed in the early
90's. For orientation the brother that ran the car wash would sit you
in his office and put in a vhs tape and leave. The film was the
opening to the movie "Car Wash." He would then come in and tell you
that that was what not to do at his car wash. I think I lasted about
a month there. It was January and cold. I was fresh out of HS and
had other priorities that didn't involve vaccuming people's cars in the freezing cold with a
hang-over for minimum wage.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a second gen. My nephew loves going for the little walk, to get a slice of pizza or a root beer from there. We live off of Mack, and walk to the 8 mile and mack one. Nice guys. I still love the pizza.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, so now I can put two and two together. One of the owners of the "Mr. C's" party store (Catalfio) owns or owned the "Mr. C's" car wash directly across the street from the Party Store on Mack and another location on Harper and Vernier. I thought about this before, but not into detail.

Ty all for helping.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.