Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Photo Du Jour - February 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6143
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick visit Chez Slumpy. P.D.J.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 80's the city was selling those homes for $1.00 if the purchaser signed documents to bring them up to code with electric and plumbing updates and a few other things. The city even included grant money to help out. The picture of the house.....I walked up to the door and touched the stone door surround and it was already crumbling. I proceeded to attempt to purchase this home shown at $1.00. During the month long investigation the city stopped the program and put a moritorium on the sale of any of the city owned homes in Brush Park. Sad to see this going down.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Andrew. Great shots and photo album.

Give us the history of this house.
Thanks.
jjaba.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad photostory. First good windstorm this spring should do it.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is pitiful. Knock it down and put it out of it's misery. It would seem like a easy cheap job at this point.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just let us know when it happens...I'd love to snag a brick from an Albert Kahn original!!!!

Some history....
http://detroit1701.org/Livings tone%20Mansion.html

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't anybody sneeze! Amazing pictures! Thank for posting a link to them. Terrible lose!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looked up William Livingstone, the original owner, in the 1900 Census, and he was indeed there in that year with his large family. I had to chuckle at the name of his third born son. In the column marked "where born", the entry reads, "at sea". The son's name? Seaborn. LOL

eliot

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Andrew, I was about ready to email you about the status of Ole Slumpy. I took numerous pics of Slumpy two years ago and I thought it looked rough then. Poor Slumpy will be lucky to make it through the winter, very sad.

Thanks for the update.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't sneeze"

Or throw a snowball now that we have snow.

Anyways, it's too bad about the state of it. I've been watching it for about a year and a half and it has definitely gotten worse. Too bad.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 701
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, that last picture almost brings a tear to my eye.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a bit of interesting info on the relocation of the Livingstone house. In around 1987, the Red Cross wanted to expand but there were three obstacles in the way. The Bonstelle Theater, the Prismatic Club and the Livingstone house.

In 1993, a Wayne State frat bought the house for a buck under the agreement that it would be moved to another location. It as moved one block east. They had planned on renovating it but nothing came about.

The move is what ruined that house and the structure within it. It was already in bad shape prior to being lifted up and pushed over a few hundred feet. The Prismatic Club has an archive of photos and I have a few myself.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5087
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, it needs to just fall, already. So painful looking.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray, thanks for the great research. Talk about a time-delayed pun! I would have never caught it. How about one of us setting up a time lapsed camera? Who ever had to do the boarding-up must have wanted outta there, but quick.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a bull just before the end of the bullfight.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.