Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit may let bars stay open late « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit may let bars stay open late

The majority of City Council members would support extending hours for certain restaurants.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/M ETRO01/702020375/1003/METRO

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 487
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, the clown council actually agrees on something? Seriously though, I think if done in certain areas, say downtown, it could be a nice addition to the entertainment district.

I don't think all bars in residential areas should qualify, but taking each request on a case by case basis is the best way to go.

In light of all the recent trouble at after hours clubs, I wonder if safety will be an issue.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 919
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less police + longer drinking hours = trouble

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4674
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note:
quote:

The businesses still have to stop selling liquor by 2 a.m., but they'd be able to stay open much later. The law doesn't define a closing time.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, this is already on the books and has been for years.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit wants to be "cool" then why not let them stay open AND serve alcohol later?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11199
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They do that already, make it legal and it officially gets the "no longer cool" stamp.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, studies prove that later bar times REDUCE drunk-driving accidents- even if you are serving late.

Not to mention, Detroit has a TON of illegal, unliscenced "social clubs." By letting places stay open later, this would weaken the demand for such clubs and concentrate police patrols where such after hours spots are permitted.

Finally, there are a few bars in the city with a grandfather liquor liscence that allow them to already do this (the Works, Porter Street, City Club, the Labrynth, and Corktown Tavern come to mind).

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Permitting only certain bars (the fix will be in, for sure) the extended hours privilege will generate many lawsuits which the city will lose after spending countless thousands of dollars in litigation costs and fees. Way to go geniuses.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the majestic did this several years ago, not serving past 2, but keeping the pizza counter and bar room open until 3/4. Didn't last long though, it apparently wasn't worth it for them

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone actually read the article? The suggestion on applies to the hours, not liquor being served after 2AM. It is already enforced at the places mentioned (the Works, Porter Street, City Club, the Labrynth, and Corktown Tavern). I would like to see the report that shows how many police incidences there were at these establishments. I have a feeling there have not been too many disturbances otherwise they would not be allowed to do this. I rather have time for people to sober up before hitting the roads rather than someone doing a few shots at last call and then heading straight to their car. Other large cities do it, so why can't we?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody told me they were at a NYE party at a popular bar in B-ham and they were serving booze 'til 4 am. Do they all ready have some kind of law allowing this up there?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8243
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that there is an exception for NYE.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is an exception on nye...however, i think there might be some kind of special liquor license the bar/restaurant has to apply for, and i only say that because last year i was at one bar downtown and they stopped serving right at two, but this year i went to a different bar downtown, and they continued to serve well after 2...

Jams

Post Number: 4678
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is an option on NYE. A bar can serve until 4a.m on NYE but it is not mandatory, just as any other day it may serve alcohol until 2a.m. but the owners choose to close anytime before then.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8206
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it would be a great indicator determining which bar owners are politically connected.

My bet? Kwame is STILL be pissed at Jai-Lee Dearing...so his daddy Bert has an uphill battle on finding ANY sympathy...although I'd think both Eastern Market AND Broadway would be good ones to keep open late legally.

I really think the city should consider later drinking hours, raising the alcohol tax for these establishments to cover the issues related to their increased potential freedoms...like at least ONE dedicated police car cruising a SMALL area where these establishments could be zoned AND the FREE shuttle home for everyone who needs it.

I'd certainly rather see these places on larger boulevards where a passing lane could be maintained...the biggest problem with these clubs is traffic management at closing time.

IF the police sent cops just to direct traffic and be eyes/ears for trouble...it could help stem bad behavior and winnow out the drunks before they hit the road...again, paid for by revenue from the alcohol tax.

We NEED to tie special services directly to the tax which was instituted to pay for them...so IF and WHEN the services prove no longer needed the tax can go away.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other large cities do it, so why can't we?

if you read my post just above yours, I cite an instance where "we" already have. though its unclear to me how they did it. legally speaking

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 02, 2007)

Rjlj

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, let me restate what i said.
We already are doing it in Detroit so why can't we expand on it?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please note:

quote:

The businesses still have to stop selling liquor by 2 a.m., but they'd be able to stay open much later. The law doesn't define a closing time.

Note: The word is liquor. I wish the news could have given a bit more regarding this. A few states (or at least cities in those states) allow bars to stay open and only sell beer, no liquor, until 4am. I'm wondering, according to the wording of the article, if this is the case with the Michigan law change.

quote:

They do that already, make it legal and it officially gets the "no longer cool" stamp.

And that's why nobody hangs out in bars past 2am in Chicago. It's no longer cool.

In all seriousness, as a bartender for 10 years in this city, I would have to say it's a bad idea.

Maybe for Friday and Saturday nights, only?

People sitting in bars at 2am want to drink for two more hours, not sit around and sober up for two hours.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can also choose to stay open one more hour during DST.

You are currently allowed to stay open if you server food, the alcohol must be moved or covered up @ 2am.

All this appears to do is allow bars without food to stay open. However they must close at some point for at least an hour to clean up.

Many have tried to do this and serve breakfast however it is not worth it.

As far as grandfathered liquor licenses, I have never heard of such a thing.

Gannon, the industry is already taxed to hilt, they do not need anymore taxes to cover the extra hours.

Dds

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to inquire about that after I searched the MLCC site. I could not find anything that concerns a "grandfathered license" or similar terms. Any idea what that phrase was referring to?

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Porter Street has no such "grandfathered license"
to stay open after 2am and serve alcohol. And, they
do not obey the laws regarding those after hour permits that state all alcohol, including beer and wine, must be out of sight from the customer and under lock and key. They do not even have a permit to dance. What they do have is a connection to people within the city and it's police force to operate an illegal after hours

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8232
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_,

Yeah, I was loathe to put that in print, lest I be nabbed for being a tax & spend liberal. I'm FAR from that, but was fishing for a way to pay for a REAL solution rather that this witchhunt pickpocketing scam we're currently under.

Rather, we should direct the taxes already collected for these noble purposes of saving lives by paying directly for a particular police presence and then also getting those who go over the line and cannot drive themselves home safely for all.

KEEP TRACK of who uses the service, so we can identify anyone who is out of control and needs some sort of intervention/wakeup.

Those wakeups shouldn't cost $8k and screw someone's life up for three to five years.

We need to stem the devolution into uncontrollable drunks...by gentle guidance, NOT shooting them after they've developed such bad habits.

Cheers!

Dds, you've never heard of grandfather clauses? NO relation to the dude on Christmas...it refers to businesses and other entities that had behavior entrenched BEFORE a law is passed, and they are given leeway to perform as before OUTSIDE OR ABOVE the law ON PURPOSE.

Like a grandfather, once the current business or owner or person (depending upon the law) dies they are no longer exempt.

Dds

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what a grandfather clause is, but according to the MLCC, there is no such thing when it comes to "legally" selling alcohol past 2am. Of bars that were listed above, a few have changed ownership in the past 5-10 years, and I was confused as to how they could be "grandfathered." More research leads me to assume that there is no such grandfather clause written into Michigan's liquor code.

Rjlj

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Works, Porter Street, City Club, the Labrynth, and Corktown Tavern all can stay open past 2AM but can not serve alcohol after 2AM. They are pretty strict with cleaning all alcohol at 2AM if you have been there to witness it. Also, the police do come by after 2AM from time to time but kind of hang out in the corner.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 812
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago has some kind of way that only certain bars are allowed to stay open until 4. And they do serve until 4. I'm not sure what the arrangement is, however, as there are MUCH MUCH fewer after hours places...probably 85-90% close at 2.

Jams

Post Number: 4708
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They are pretty strict with cleaning all alcohol at 2AM

Unless you know the codeword for the night. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, Nevada bars are open and serve beer/liquor 24/7. And DUIs don't seem to be any more of a problem here than back in Michigan.

Most of these Michigan liquor laws were adopted right after the repeal of Prohibibion and never changed. I think it's time to re-think the whole MLCC statute book.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 speaks the truth. Time to get current.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5091
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hardly a Michigan thing. Most of this country needs to get current.

Rayls
Username: Rayls

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rjlj. Porter Street is an illegal after hours joint. They have never been inspected by the city and they do not have a liquor licence. They open after legal businesses close and create havoc in Corktown. They are currently being raided. Cops have Porter closed between Brooklyn and Trumbull. Perhaps some peace can return to the neighborhood. Those idiots at Porter Street have really done a number on this area.

Rjlj

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I have never been to porter street but have been to the others. I thought it was another place I was at once. Too bad for them. Places like that sometimes give a city charater and make it exciting but I don't like when things get out of hand.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supporting illegal actions don't speak well for any city's character.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about most of the country needs to get sober? If you can't get it by 2AM, you ain't getting it.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that case, why don't we just say no drinking before 5? Because as we all know, everyone works 9-5 and goes to bed early.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the whole argument that controlling the time when you drink reduces incidences of drunk driving and accidents.

To me...people slam drinks at last call so they can keep their buzz going longer (traditional wisdom...not necessarily true). I think they get more bombed that way, and are much more of a nuisance and a danger. They slam drinks then are forced to leave and go out on the road. Totally ridiculous!

If there are no mandated closing times, there won’t be a rush to get drunk while it's still ok.

I'm for the 24/7 thing...all the time, anytime. It's the American way...let capitalism and need decide when businesses close.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.