Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crackdown sought on tattoos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8242
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crackdown sought on tattoos

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070202/NEW S02/702020423/1001/BUSINESS05

quote:

Under Wayne County's current ordinance, businesses offering tattoos and body piercings must be licensed. But establishments that pierce only ears are not regulated. The county ordinance doesn't affect Detroit, which has its own health regulations.

Why doesn't the city just use the County health regulations and get rid of the CoD staff that is performing redundant functions.

Is it that WC wants Detroit to take this on their own or is it Detroit insisting on doing their own thing keeping up city headcount and wasting money.

I wonder how many CoD employees could be cut if they got rid of redundant services offered by the County.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4673
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or even better.

From the article;
quote:

Varying regulations from community to community is why Ficano said he wants to see the state take control of the licensing process, to create a uniform standard and allow unlicensed operations to be hit with felony charges. Violations of local ordinances can rise only to a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Why three different agencies with conflicting regulations? It is just redundancy for redundancy's sake.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8199
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Power and control at whichever level it can be grabbed...government at its finest!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Personally I think tats and piercings are gross on ladies. Tatoos make me think of Sailors and prison inmates.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City could enforce county ordinances, but then I think they cannot collect any money from it. If the city were to let the county prosecutor handle everything, then they wouldn't make any money.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tennille Grihorash was excited to get her first tattoo -- one with her daughter's name in Japanese on an ornate-looking scroll.

So, when she was at a tattoo party a few years ago in the basement of a friend's home in Wayne and a tattoo artist was offering his services, she got it done.

But Grihorash said the tattoo came out sloppy, like a child had done it.

"It's like the most horrible thing you've ever seen," said Grihorash, 28, of Garden City. "I was really upset, and I really don't want something like that on my skin."

I, for one, am not suprised at the result

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tattoos make me think of Sailors and prison inmates."

And that's a bad thing?

Just goofin. Despite 22 years of sailing and ridding HD's since '74, I'm tat free.

I guess I couldn't make that life-long commitment to a reminder of that drunken night in Manila.

Although now as a "lubber", I do sometimes regret not getting a few, the photos fade, as does memory but not the tattoo from that night in Manila.

I concur that they detract from the natural beauty of the female form.

But as for location, a fear of them seems like a quaint cold-war throwback to the "undesirables" a pool hall or a tattoo parlor would attract; slouching, juvenile delinquents snapping their gum and wolf-whistling at the pastor's daughters.

Ach, if that was our only worries.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Popeye had a tatoo, and he was a decent guy!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but didn't Brutus/Bluto also have one?

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9227
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many tattoo's and I will say get them done by a LICENSED shop. You truly get what you pay for as GravityMachine posted.
Don't just go with the cheapest artist and make sure the artist is not drunk or stoned while doing it.
If the artist is willing to tattoo you if you are drunk or were the night before...don't go. You will bleed and have scarring...not a good thing.
Also, make sure that the shop has the autoclave (the machine that cleans the needles and gun)is tested as well. Some places don't get it checked and it may not clean the tools properly. The next thing you know you may have Hep C.

As for the above. Shouldn't it be Wayne County that should check the shops out and not the CofD? Why would the state do it?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Body graffiti is all that it is, IMHO.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 654
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the above. Shouldn't it be Wayne County that should check the shops out and not the CofD?

Because the bloated city bureaucracy exists to provide jobs to the lazy and unmotivated who otherwise wouldn't cut it in the private sector. If the city got rid of all these useless functions and departments, where would all the friends and family members of important/connected people go to get paid for doing absolutely nothing?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.