Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Area next to Jefferson Assembly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at a satellite view of Detroit on Google Maps just west of Jefferson Assembly and east of Waterworks Park and noticed that it looked quite barren.

Is this a potential new development?

Sorry I don't have a pic of the area, but the exact boundaries are:

Jefferson/St.Jean/Freud/Marque tte

Thanks!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=42.36231~-82.97215 1&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir= 0&alt=-1000&scene=5643512

I don't know if that area or the neighborhood cut off by Jefferson Assembly from Conner to Alter btw. Jefferson and Mack, is more depressing.

There have been new homes going into this zone. Very few original homes remain. I'm pretty sure there is a major landowner in this area behind the shopping center, because of the way that some new, suburban-looking homes have all been built in a row. I assume that developments of a similar density will continue to the SE. I could do without those bland-looking homes (with huge garages facing the street-YUCK), but hey, it's development.

One childhood memory is hanging out at Kean's Marina where my relatives had a motor boat. I'd like to see developments down there that play off the river, but that will be hard with all the marinas. If I was a developed I'd hold off for 5-10 years and then build some mid-rise condos there.

Pinewood73

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mackinaw.

It's good to see that there is some development in that area.

That local live map looks more recent than Google's.

I agree about mid-rise condos.

Would be nice to see river from your front window!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that the Jefferson Village development?

http://www.crosswindsus.com/mi chigan/detroit_jefferson_villa ge/

Metro Times article (April 6, 2005): http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7522

Pinewood73

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're right Kathleen, good find!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the neighborhood my parents grew up in, so it's a place near and dear to my heart, although I watched it steadily deteriorate during my childhood as we drove through there every week and visited old family friends. Dad lived on St. Jean on the block south of Jefferson. Mom lived on Meadowbrook just south of Jefferson a couple blocks east of Waterworks Park.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankfully Marquette St. is still intact with all of its old houses.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.