Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Metropolitan Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An article in today's News stated that the Metro Building is currently undergoing a condo conversion. I have been monitoring any activity relating to this beautiful, gothic style building, but don't recall any such refurb announcement; much less actual work being done. I recall previous discussions on this site stating that the Metro has several factors working against its renovation - triangle footprint, low ceilings, lack of parking, limited views, etc. Nevertheless, I hope it can be saved.

Did I miss something or did the News get it wrong? Any information regarding the status of the Metro (and her neighbor - the Wurlitzer) would be appreciated.

News article:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/M ETRO/702020381

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has to be an error. This wouldn't be the first time the News didn't fact check a story properly but I would be very happy if I was proven wrong.

We would have heard more news.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what happens when you don't leave your office at the newspaper to actually take a look at the city, and instead rely on press releases to do your work for you.

Unless a pack of kids hauling 40 ounces to the roof is now considered a conversion, the building is as empty and lifeless as ever.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Snooze, I mean News is at it again.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in there last week. Looked the same as it did two years ago.

(Message edited by chow on February 02, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not the first time they've reported the building being under reconstruction, knowing full well that now one has announced serious plans for this one for YEARS now.

But, I guess if you say something enough times it makes it true, right? lol

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure a lot has been mentioned regarding the Metropolitan Building in the past, but that doesn't mean that the statements from the Detroit News aren't true, in fact they may be or not. Lmichigan, you know as well as anyone that some of the projects in Detroit have be in the works for years. There probably is a deal out there on the table somewhere.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I reading that little graph of the people mover ridership in that article correctly? Over 150,000 people ride the people mover every month? I swear most of the time I'm the only person on it. In fact, I thought it was just there for me? I mean, I don't mind sharing I guess...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must make 150,000 rounds a month! What ever you're doing don't stop! Ridership will plummet!

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you - I suspected as much.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Snooze! LOL!!!

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is most likely an error.

They were probably talking about the Elliot or Lafer , and just mixed up the names...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lame paper. It makes it sound like there have been condo conversions going on there for a while. I'm sure they are talking about another building.

Sad thing is, they don't even need to get off their butts a walk across town to make sure they're talking about the right building, all they need to do is look at mapdetroit.com.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is nothing PHYSICALLY going on there right now. at least from the vantage point of the wurlitzer... that's not to say that there isn't paperwork being done...

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard was parking was a concern. And that the lower floors don't really have views of anything, although that isn't a biggie just charge less for those. You could even do mixed-use rental on the lower floors, condos on the upper.

For what its worth, the views from the upper floors are incredible.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to think that some of the new residential buildings could cater to those working downtown and therefore not have to worry about parking. Fortunately Detroit has less strict parking ordinances than most other cities for parking requirements.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I forgot, but who exactly owns the Metropolitan Building at the moment? Didn't Larson Realty sell it a few years back or are they still in possession of it? It doesn't list it as one of their properties on their website.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe eric larson had an option on it, but let it revert back to the DDA. somebody correct me if i'm wrong...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I was wondering if the DEGC owned it, because this quasi-city agencies can get pretty confusing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.