Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » House on Mt. Elliott and Elba « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfa
Username: Jfa

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,

This is a great forum. I recently found this place and have been reading through some of the topics for the last few weeks now. I wish I had found it earlier. There are many questions I have had, but did not know where to get answers. One of the questions I have is about quite a unique house on the corner of Mt. Elliott and Elba just south of Mack Avenue. I thought it was one of the neatest things I had seen. I was over there today and decided to stop and take a few pics of it:

I first saw this house a few years ago and have wondered about its story ever since. Did something happen here and all the stuffed animals have been put up as a memorial? Or it is just something that got started somehow -- one person put a stuffed animal on and then others decided to also? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.heidelberg.org/

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heidelburg project by artist Tyree Guyton. Long history.

(Message edited by stecks77 on February 02, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its where stuffed animals go to die.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had always thought that Tyree Guyton hit up vacant or dilapidated pieces of property. This home to me looks as though it is in rather good shape and likely occupied. Is Tyree Guyton just trying to make a name for himself, or did he run out of places to carry on?

Jfa
Username: Jfa

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I briefly perused that website as well as Googled and perused some others -- Heidelberg does have quite a history -- and quite interesting at that. I have lived here (in Detroit) for three years and I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. In my defense, though, I have been a student at Wayne State for the last three years and have been pretty involved in my studies. Thanks for information, it is quite an interesting story.

Charlottepaul,
Yes, the home looks to be in pretty good shape, but I have driven by and stopped several times, and as far as I can tell, the house is vacant. There are stuffed animals strung across the front door that look as though they would prevent entering. And every time I have been there this winter the snow has been undisturbed.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess living in a stuffed animal house sort of turns off potential buyers or leasers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.