Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Meeting people in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently moved to Detroit and can't quite figure out how to meet new people without doing the club scene. I love playing spades, exciting discussions, etc. Any suggestions for newcomers to Detroit looking to meet people?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4711
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FSC!! Check Detroit Connections for the Thursday meeting place.

By the way Welcome to the Forum!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(FSC = Forum Social Club.)

Hope to attend someday. :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3740
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Au Bon Pain in Campus Martius is nice place for coffee and meeting people...

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Avalon Bakery is great. The ice skating rink, join Detroit Synergy Group.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 999
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/92534.html?1170440 445

This week the FSC meets at Foran's downtown.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.foransirishpub.com/

Jams

Post Number: 4712
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did John see that?...........never mind.

Jams

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivio's on Saturday afternoon upstairs. Introduce yourself to Heather behind the bar and you'll soon be in a conversation with one of the many knowledgable regulars there... or even some of the irregulars.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're able to qualify for Mensa membership, the SE Michigan chapter has several groups for doing all kinds of things on almost every day of the month--although most of them are eating- or drinking-oriented, if you care to do those kinds of things.

Haven't gone for a bit, but there were some fun people to be among. These groups spread themselves over the four or five Detroit counties for their get-togethers.

Also, there are a bunch of walking and running groups--most of which are active 52 weeks/year. Some of them drink and eat afterwards, too

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 03, 2007)

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6142
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I knew you were "one of them" - so where do folks like me go whose IQ's hover around room temperature?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so where do folks like me go whose IQ's hover around room temperature?

You're there, buddy.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, just go to the Mensa functions, if you care to. I doubt if anybody ever cares to check whether one is a dues-paying member or not. Some bring their spouses (or is that spice?).

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deja Vu on Monday afternoon upstairs. Introduce yourself to Ginger behind the bar and you'll soon be in a conversation with one of the many knowledgable medical students there...lol

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6145
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria, everyone here is 'way smarter than me - at least that's what they say.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmm, looks like I might be able to make it to this week's FSC. Good ol' walking distance.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Synergy I found was a great way to meet others that had an interest in Detroit. They have just general meetings for anyone to come and share their ideas and interests. If you don't like larger group things, they are always sponsoring events for people to get out and meet other Detroiters, everything from coffee house nights to discussions on different topics to bar crawls and what not. Just check out their web site and there might be an upcoming event on there in which you might be interested: http://www.detroitsynergy.org/

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you commute Woodward, taking the DDOT usually involves the meeting of many friendly people.

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the advice on meeting people in Detroit. I'll be moving downtown next month and am looking forward to meeting people in some of the ways suggested.

Rocket City, I actually commute back to suburbs so unfortunately, no bus for me )-:

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tell a little bit more about yourself. you into music? art? if so what kinds? sports? that will help some, like me, guide you a bit...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, I think the main question is, do they like Goldeneye?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.