Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Nathaniel Abraham. What will happen? » Nathaniel Abraham. What will happen? - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think will become of him?

His outfit reminded me of when Flyguy in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka got out of prison.

Not a good start at a new image.

I just have a feeling he doesn't get it and will be grown up prison soon.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judge's signature frees Abraham

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason, he had to give up his part-time job. Probably because he returned to Pontiac from his halfway-house in Bay City.

He says he wants to go to college to help troubled youths. Not really the best environment to return to (troubled youths, not college. Uhh, nevermind). And I wonder where the tuition will come from.

When I saw him on the evening news, his outfit reminded me of "Rooster, the Pimp" on Baretta or old Johnny "Guitar" Watson album covers of the 1970's. Holy Cow! What was his lawyer/family thinking?

2 to 1, he'll be in the legal system, if not prison or jail, by 2010.

But I wish him good luck at turning his life around.

James

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 623
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the very FIRST question asked of his counselor by Carmen (Harlan WDIV) was "did you advise Nathanial what to wear?"

his reply was "i dont advise people on what clothes to wear."

he looked like (the stereotypical) pimp to me...

david

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, well, the outfit was an unfortunate choice, in my opinion. "Mid-level Coke Dealer/Wannabe Gangsta" comes to mind. But hell, he is still a young person, and has been "out of circulation" since he was a pre-teen. Who knows. I know plenty of folks who are responsible enough citizens but have totally absurd dressing habits. His comment that one of the things he would be working on is "my music" caught my ear. The combination of his apparel and that comment leads me to wonder if his goals and self-image may end up needing, and getting, a reality check, but who can say? He has never been an adult male out there in a free setting. After he settles in, he might just turn out to be a hell of a stand-up guy. And, at the risk of sounding too precious, I will say that he has a great smile. I hope he doesn't over-use it just to get over.

Ravine

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I liked the way the counselor rebuffed Harlan's question. Dumbass, if he was on his job, maybe he SHOULD have issued some advice on the matter.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it too late for the death penalty for stupidity and crimes against humanity?

Ravine

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it's too late. We put people in the White House for that stuff, now.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advise to Abraham: GET THE HELL OUT OF MICHIGAN NOW!!!!! This is a very very difficult place to live as a black man with no formal education. Throw in the "ex-con" status and life in Michigan turns into PURE HELL. He deserves a second chance, but the way folks in Michigan hold grudges, it wont happen here.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the end of conversation between his legal team and Mitch Albom on the radio. He is officially out of the court system, but his team has "secured special subsidies" to help with his rent and college tuition. So a convicted killer gets help going to college and some kids try hard and live by the rules get squat. Doesn't seem fair. He will be living in Bay City now. If I were him, I would at least change my name. I have a feeling he is going to flaunt his "celebrity" status, mistakingly thinking it will help him. Sad, sad, case however you look at it.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Advise to Abraham: GET THE HELL OUT OF MICHIGAN NOW!!!!! This is a very very difficult place to live as a black man with no formal education. Throw in the "ex-con" status and life in Michigan turns into PURE HELL. He deserves a second chance, but the way folks in Michigan hold grudges, it wont happen here.

Oh boo fucking hoo, cry me a river of sympathy for a fucking murdering piece of shit who took a man's life and only got 10 years for it. You know who else was black? HIS VICTIM. Don't fucking play the race card here, if Nathaniel's life is shit it's because he made it that way.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5425
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brother has killed a brother and he's free thanks to the hippocratic American justice system.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might as well look sharp if the whole world is watching.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow when he was 11 yrs old eh Warrior...

Do you really think that he had the mental capacity to realize the consequences of this act? Did you REALLY realize what death was when you were that age?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Double standards are a beautiful thing, huh? That people were seriously calling for this execution as a child says {a lot}.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How'd you like to be the relatives of Ronnie Green and see that smug a-hole walking out of court looking like that? Here's hoping that they somehow miss seeing that photo.

If he for a second would have thought of Ronnie Green's family and friends he wouldn't have dressed that way.

I wish him the best, only because I don't want someone else to lose their life at his hands, but this guy seems clueless.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Advise to Abraham: GET THE HELL OUT OF MICHIGAN NOW!!!!! This is a very very difficult place to live as a black man with no formal education"
______________________________ ___________________

Actually its a wee bit easier than living as a black child with Abraham in the neighborhood...that's like murder!

Jrvass

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope my prediction is wrong. For his sake and society's.

He has paid his price that the system gave him (little that it was... I hope he apologized to the victim's family today. They were looking forward to finally hearing that.)

I pass by that shooting scene when I come home from my parent's house. It's still kind of unnerving to be stopped there at a red light in the dark.

James

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothin' says "stupid-ass-never-going-anywhere-except-jail-m'fer" than that outfit.

(Message edited by Futurecity on January 18, 2007)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course he had the mental capacity to realize the consequences of his act.That is why he spent time incarcerated. I think most eleven year olds of sound mind know that shooting someone could kill them. If you recall there was a six year old some years back in Mt Morris near Flint that brought a gun to school and shot another five or six yeard old to death_ he did not spend any time in any sort of punitive manner in custody.That was because he could not understand his actions

I do wonder about all the comment on how he is dressed. Is this white privelege? Is this cultural bias? Black people dress differently than whites sometimes.Perhaps this is what he wanted to wear.I will grant that it may not reflect well on how he is perceived but the comments here don't reflect well on those making them either. And if anyone ever goes to any district/ traffic court and sees how the "white trash" masses dress then it would be obvious that there is lots of "poorly" dressed people that ought to know better out there.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sociopathic personality.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3596
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn at 11 yrs old huh...

Glad to see all of the child psychologists present in the forum tonight...

Oh and from some of the comments from the one's screaming for his head, it's nice to see you calling this man who did commit a serious crime a piece of shit. It says alot about your own self righteous mentalities...

The crime was severe and permanent. Thats w/o question. But the crime was committed probably before the child sprouted his first pubic hair! Damn doesn't maturity figure into this at all? I guess not because none of you all have ever done anything wrong in your lives when you were 11 (not trying to make comparisons to murder like in this case just saying how much about life did you know at that age hypocrites).

If he was 18 then no there would be no arguments. But from the way you all act it's no wonder why America is the most locked-up country on the planet.

I wonder how some of you all would act if he was 6 yrs old when he did this...

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"do wonder about all the comment on how he is dressed. Is this white privelege? Is this cultural bias? Black people dress differently than whites sometimes.Perhaps this is what he wanted to wear.I will grant that it may not reflect well on how he is perceived but the comments here don't reflect well on those making them either. And if anyone ever goes to any district/ traffic court and sees how the "white trash" masses dress then it would be obvious that there is lots of "poorly" dressed people that ought to know better out there."

Please.

There is a lawyer who was paid money to advise this kid.

Get off the racist crap... he dresses badly because he dresses badly. No need to bring his blackness into the stupidity of his choices.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh cause it's a black thing huh irish...

Black people just naturally dress the way they want to w/o regard to what their lawyers says ri...

And I second the fact that I have seen Whites dress (in some cases) even more fucked up than that. So get off your ignorant racist shit.

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on January 18, 2007)

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did he get the money for the outfit? Shouldn't that money have been better spent for something useful? Tax dollars are going to pay his way through school and help with his rent, I just say it's wasteful to spend it on such lavish clothing.

Perhaps the "white trash" masses can't afford anything nicer than what they wear because no one is paying for our tuition, rent, etc as they are Abraham's. Why are we "white trash"? Because we don't pay 500.00 for name brand clothing to wear to court and no one supplies us with a pimp suit upon re-entry to the world from PRISON? Call me white trash then because nothing I own costs as much as this child's clothing he wore to be the center of attention.

Jrvass

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, as Buckwheat would say... you said a mouthful!

From Wikipedia:

"Kayla Rolland (May 12, 1993 – February 29, 2000) was the six-year-old girl killed by a six-year-old child named Dedrick Owens, a first grade classmate in the Theo J. Buell Elementary School in Mount Morris Township, Michigan, near Flint."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K ayla_Rolland

An "Ice Cream Suit" is kind of disrespectful, given the publicity his release would draw.

I see a lot of poor dressing by whites at church on Sunday. It doesn't make it right. IMO.

James

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you really think that he had the mental capacity to realize the consequences of this act?

with proper guidance, an eleven-year-old would be riddled with guilt over the consequences of stealing from the grocery store, sneaking beer from the fridge, getting caught smoking. i know i was at that age.

quote:

Did you REALLY realize what death was when you were that age?

of course. that's why i did not take a rifle i knew was loaded, camp out behind a hill, aim it at a human being (or even a freaking cat, for that matter), and pull the trigger. he knew what death was, and he wanted to kill.

stylin, how sad that you would try to sanitize what happened. you obviously have no children; none to see through his or her eyes, and none to have die at the hands of some reckless misfit.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 693
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitStylin,

Read the post before mine and then read my post. My point was that its not a black thing...its just s stupid kid who did not have a clue how to dress and his lawyer did not assist him as he/she should..

the post before me indicated that he dressed stupid because blacks sometimes dress differently.

knock off the racist crap and read what is written.

Thecarl

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There is a lawyer who was paid money to advise this kid.

uhhh...and a mom and dad??? maybe???

cripes.

Citylover

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is only disrespectful if you don't understand that it is imo a cultural things_ if a white kid that did the exact same thing wore an Armani suit upon release from custody what would the reaction be?

321brian

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone is saying he should have dressed like crap.

He could have worn something a little more conservative and appropriate for court.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is only disrespectful if you don't understand that it is imo a cultural things_ if a white kid that did the exact same thing wore an Armani suit upon release from custody what would the reaction be?"

Of course that is is bulls___

What is the suit that a black man would wear to church or to a business office?

The same one that I would wear... or better.

That is not what that kid was wearing...because he was ill-advised.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3896
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young and dumb when he shot they guy. Young and dumb when he walks into the real world.

321brian

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nice black or dark blue Armani would have gotten no response whatever.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Mr. Abraham the best. He has paid his debt and deserves to live a happy and productive life. As for the choice of attire, it disturbs me. Everyone should pray for him, he needs support.

Thecarl

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the big issue with the suit is this: when society gives you a second chance, you should come forward in a way that asks for acceptance from the community. this outfit demands that the community accept HIM - despite the fact that he has committed one of the most egregious acts against mankind: murder.

his packaging does not say, "i am willing to learn." if he is not seeking to learn, and unwilling to ask for acceptance, he will be in trouble again very quickly.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wasn't a clueless kid that didn't know the consequences when he killed someone. He had a rap sheet starting at the age of 9 with 22 crimes. The system failed him then and it's not looking too good now either.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that should be an indictment on the system and the kid's environment instead of the child himself. Like I stated before, had he been 16 plus then I'd be a lot harsher. But seeing as he had a 'rap sheet' as long as you say that he had, then that points to the obvious conclusion that something was very wrong in his upbringing, as opposed to making him the cold calculating shit bag you all are making him out to be.

Thecarl

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

something was very wrong in his upbringing, as opposed to making him the cold calculating 5hit bag *you all* are making him out to be.

you all? i guess you deserve all the generalizations about all the eleven-year-old murderers we have in this country.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow when he was 11 yrs old eh Warrior...

Do you really think that he had the mental capacity to realize the consequences of this act? Did you REALLY realize what death was when you were that age?

I did not kill anyone at age 11. How many people did you kill at age 11? Since, according to you, the average 5th or 6th grade age child does not know that it is wrong to kill another human being, surely we would see lots of murders being committed by children? It seems 99.9999999999% of 11 year olds seem to know that it is not OK to shoot somebody, but we should make excuses for Nathaniel?

Some people were never meant to be a part of society, Nathaniel Abraham is one of them. Even his own therapists and counselors have said that his progress has been "mixed," that he continues to have anger issues, and that he has never adequately expressed true remorse for what he did. The pimp walk he did out of court shows that, he should hang his head low and beg forgiveness from the family of the man's who life he took instead of strutting and setting up his future rap career (where he will no doubt take advantage of his "fame" and profit off of his crime).

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i think the big issue with the suit is this: when society gives you a second chance, you should come forward in a way that asks for acceptance from the community. this outfit demands that the community accept HIM - despite the fact that he has committed one of the most egregious acts against mankind: murder."

"his packaging does not say, 'i am willing to learn.' if he is not seeking to learn, and unwilling to ask for acceptance, he will be in trouble again very quickly."

Excellent post there -- you nailed it.

I hope that Mr. Abraham moves on and does well. Time will tell as to whether he has learned and now wants to live a productive life, or whether he truly is a "cold calculating shit bag" that will commit more horrible crimes.

Citylover

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My observations were on how some of you responded to his choice of clothing.I mentioned Armani.Back when Miami vice was on t.v. the good guys and the bad guys wore armani and versace.But because they were not loud suits i.e. striped or brightly colored they were ok.They still represent the same thing as what you all perceive Nathaniel Abraham wearing. But we can disagree and move on.

I will admit I am disturbed by his demeanor.When asked how it felt to be free he retorted to the asking reporter by asking him how he felt being free..............does he understand there was a reason he has not been free for ten years? The prosecutor also wonders how he will do when confronted with the nastiness that all of have to put up with; rude people, gettting cut off in traffic, etc etc. How will he react?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real question is: what bar will he be going to to celebrate his 21st birthday tomorrow?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a feral animal then, and I remain to be convinced otherwise that he's changed today.

I see him murdering someone else within about five years, with the judge who signed his release papers today, doing verbal gymnastics the day after the story hits the papers on how he thought that he was doing the "right" thing.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken graduate-level courses in child psychology. An 11-year-old does not comprehend death or murder with the same kind of maturity as an adult, but he does know what death is. He knows that death is permanent, unlike a younger child who might equate death with sleeping or believe that a dead person can be magically brought back to life. An 11-year-old also knows that if you shoot someone with a gun, it's highly likely that the victim will die or suffer a severe injury. 11-year-olds also know that when someone dies, their loved ones grieve. By this age, kids should definitely feel remorse if they hurt someone; the 11-year-old who doesn't feel remorse is SERIOUSLY disturbed.

So yes, Nathaniel Abraham was old enough at age 11 to understand his actions and to face the consequences of those actions. I don't think he should have gotten the electric chair, but I do think he deserved his ten-year jail sentence. I truly hope he has been rehabilitated, for his own sake as well as for society's. But that pimp outfit doesn't give me a good feeling about this young man.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame that Michigan doesn't have the death penalty.

I couldn't think of a more deserving candidate to be put down.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez Mcp001 youd swear the person he killed was someone in your family. Give him a chance before *you all* go on spitting your bile and hatred towards him.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his choice of clothing leaves a lot to be desired- and to me, it's not a race issue. It's an attention issue. Dude, you just got out of detention and you want to flaunt it? Tame that suit down. I don't mind being nicely appointed while in the court system but at least show some humility and respect for the court system. Leave the flamboyance to the goofy a$$ lawyers. It begs the question of who is he dressing for? Is it for us to see? Is he flaunting his freedom with his outfit?

What really matters now is when that pimp daddy suit comes off, what's left underneath? Has he truly regretted any of his actions? Will he take advantage of the second chance he's been given (unlike his victim and his family- who won't have one) and turn it around?

Not that I would ever bet against a person like this not to succeed but he comes back into the game with a LOT of baggage now. Rightfully or wrongly, I wouldn't exactly trust this sort of person just yet. He REALLY needs to get out into society now and earn back that sacred trust that he betrayed. If he can't, he needs to be sent back and locked away for a long long time. I only hope if that's the scenario there won't be another trail of blood leading up to it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We really are cannibals. It seems that we do, still, eat our own children. Just when you think we've evolved far enough to be better discerners, we are quick to find we're, in fact, regressing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4314
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind the comment about us eating our own children but it's also disturbing to know that our children also fire back and can kill too.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.....I'm really shocked at some of the comments regarding this young man and I have to wonder if some you all are venting some you alls frustrations on him because he is a young black man. The whole issue about his clothes seems like a moot point in the grand scheme of things,if any of you all have ever been in juvenile detention or deal with someone who is you would know that any all clothing is either brought by your family or you have wear whatever they have at the facility.
It sounds like you all are forming an opinion about this man based on his attire which sounds like stereotyping which happens alot to young black men everyday here in Detroit(myself included),business as usual.....

Smogboy

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay then, whoever brought him his clothes- whether it be family member, lawyer or friend made a bad choice.

Again, to me it's not a race issue regarding the outfit. It's just inappropriate for a courtroom situation. That being said, I think it wouldn't be appropriate for a misdemeanor much less a felony. I've always been taught a sense of humility before a judge and this outfit (regardless if he was the convicted or not) isn't something that seems right for a courtroom.

Rjk

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^An article in the Freep states that he's been living in a halfway house and bought the clothes at a store in Saginaw.

I'm just hoping that Nathaniel can get use to shopping at the Salvation Army or at least lower end clothing stores based on the type of job he's going to start out with. My fear is that he's looking for a lifestyle that is beyond his financial means.

Ravine

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is absolutely disgusting how many of you play the race card, and how quickly you play it. The outfit was an ass-dumb choice. I don't see anyone picking on him because he's black. Stop the fuckin' whining, already.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's break it down simply then... how many of you would appear in court in an outfit like that?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've all lost sight of the real tragedy here... the guy is wearing white after labor day.

321brian

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

You just used the first race card.

Ravine

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, it runs all through this thread. Did you read the posts, or just scan them, or neither?

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he were truly remorseful, and had any respect or empathy for the family of Ronnie Green, he might have downplayed what he was wearing, as opposed to dressing as if he was headed to accept an award somewhere, or dressing up for a night on the town.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You've all lost sight of the real tragedy here... the guy is wearing white after labor day.

LOL. At least the shoes were pink.

Hope the dude can get his life together.

Ravine

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion, Jfre just nailed it right smack directly on the head. Bravo.

Rjk

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't look at that photo without laughing.

The lines between regular news stories and the stuff that appears in "The Onion" keep getting blurred more and more each day.

Ravine

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, I swear to gawd, that is the truth. And, to top off the point, there are people out there who can look at a copy of The Onion and react with stunned amazement, not even realizing that it's a joke. I couldn't make this up. I have known it to occur.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't support the death penalty for anyone let alone an 11-year-old. However I question the left of treatment and rehabilitation he received while in the state's ward if he decided night club attire was proper for court. And this college scholarship thing baffles me as well. People (juveniles and adults, black and white) who commit less heinous crimes and demonstrate more remorse are lucky to find stable employment at a wage job.

I'm not saying Nate Abraham isn't a unique case that perhaps merits unique treatment. However he didn't exactly earn his freedom. The original sentence cut him loose at 21 regardless. Handing him a scholarship when everyone else leaving the system barely get bus fare is a bit much.

And when exactly will he apologize to the Green family? Is that really hard to do.

There's a part of me that wonders if Nate Abraham should have been locked up in the first place. In my mind his mother should have been charged with felony murder. Allowing children to become that sociopathic by 11 should be child abuse by neglect. The abuse directly led to the murder of Ronnie Green therefore I really believe the killer in this case was Nate Abraham's mother.

Please, spare me the "single mother as a difficult task" bullshit. Every other single mother in this country, no matter how poor, how overworked, etc has prevented their 11-year-old children from becoming killers. I don't think that's too much to ask. Besides, if you look at the case history there were warning signs after warning signs that Nate Abraham was heading down a very bad road. No one addressed the problem and that starts with dear old mom.

Jrvass

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenniferl nailed it. Mcp001 is "out there" on the punishment. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the death penalty. Lisa Holland, murderer of her son Ricky, comes to mind. But I don't think it applies in this case.

Tried as an adult, sentenced as a juvenile, the releasing judge hands were tied by the sentencing judge.

Nathaniel lost his one last chance of getting "good press" out of a horrible situation. Respect for the victim's family, the court, society as a whole.

To quote Smogboy: "How many of you would appear in court in an outfit like that?"

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oakland County prosecutors are furious that Abraham -- a felon released Thursday -- is being given free services through a Foster Care Demonstration Project."

This kid is on the fence, the odds are stacked against him ever seeing the inside of a prison...even his most sympathetic supporters can admit as much.
Yet here is another example of the Oakland Prosecutors office making spiteful and hypocritical statements.
They say they want the kid to succeed, but state publicly their wish to see him stripped of the tools that may make the difference between success and failure.
If he fails, society loses...it's in all our best interest that he avail himself of every program at his disposal in his endeavor to succeed. If two weeks into freedom, this Wayne County program makes him think twice about slinging dope on the corner....that is a little success that we may never hear about...and the kind of little success that he might be able to build upon.

The Oakland Prosecutors office ain't betting on this horse to place. The dont want whats right for society, they just want to be "right."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/M ETRO/701190397

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs1634........keep on posting my friend, that's some seriously funny stuff..........

Rjk

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, I think the question is does everyone receive the same help in similar situations to NA or is he receiving more help because this is a high profile case? If he fails the Juvenile justice system could be turned up on it's head with the state getting it from all sides. As the Oakland County prosecutor mentioned there are many people who age out of the system who don't have anywhere to go and they didn't kill someone.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as many people who are expressing sympathy for Nathaniel and giving him "prayers," how many have even MENTIONED his victim? Did we forget about him?

Did you guys read about the time that Nathaniel beat the crap out of another one of the kids in his facility? It seems the kid was playing a Sony Playstation and it was "Nathaniel's turn", so Nathaniel beat the living shit out of him. This is what we have just released back into society. You know who I feel sorry for, the unknown person that will become Nathaniel's next crime victim. I'm not saying he will kill again, but a guy like Nathaniel who has no impulse and self-control won't be able to resist the "temptations" of the street after being locked up for 10 years. He just doesn't have the willpower. Remember the state paid for him to take college classes, he either failed them or dropped them. That's not exactly speaking highly of his motivation to make it on the outside, how long before he gets "tired" of working his blue collar job like he got sick of those college classes and decides to go back to the way of the gun and the criminal? I give him 12 months tops before he is back in the system for being a felon in possession of a handgun or something like that.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From all indications, Mr. Abraham's rehabilitation has not gone as well as hoped. His handling of the media questioning, and his choice of attire revealed a worrisome level of immaturity and lack of self-awareness over his whole situation. Of course, how difficult must it have been to acquire the expected maturity when he spent ages 12-20 locked up or in halfway houses? Nonetheless, some of the statements made by Mr. Abraham indicate to me that he has an impatience with being required to explain himself and that humility isn't one of his strongest character attributes. Hopefully, he can find some skills that will allow him to develop a strong moral character that is able to weather the emotional and financial storms that are sure to come.

Another thing, the attorney, court appointed, but still being paid to do a job, screwed up when it came to the court attire. (Even though the attire was a screwup, Citylover's comments on this issue hit the mark.) All of Mr. Abraham's advisers should have known that this last court hearing would be a media circus and they should have planned and scripted it better for him. Had he been prepared to appear respectful to the court and the victim's family, and been prepared to answer questions in a way that conveyed contriteness and remorse, the whole event probably would have prompted a benefactor or two to come forward and provide some continuing financial or counseling assistance. His advisers actions did nothing to facilitate this. Too bad.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, why does anyone give a shit about what he was wearing? At least he had on clothes. Maybe it was his birthday present. Is there really nothing else to talk about in Michigan?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sim,ply because people make judgments abut his likelihood to commit another crime simply because he dressed in a way that didn't appeal to them when they weren't even involved in the case...

So your point is valid. Why do people give a damn about what he is wearing? You don't like it? Stop looking at him, and commenting abut him...

Damn that simple...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prediction: He's going to a strip club on Eight Mile for his 21st birthday, wearing the same suit, and will yell, "Don't y'all know who I AM?" at least once in the night.
Prediction: A year from now, a van will roam the streets of Detroit stickered up with a big "Nate-Murda" logo and "Debut CD in stores now!"
Prediction: He'll play his hard-knock experiences as street cred to sell a few CDs, then disappear for a while, then get caught holding up a liquor store.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sim,ply because people make judgments abut his likelihood to commit another crime simply because he dressed in a way that didn't appeal to them when they weren't even involved in the case... "

Talk about simplifying? People are judging his likelihood to commit more crime based on the criminal record he had before committing this murder, as well as the behavior he exhibited during his incarceration.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real funny, Diehard. Hey, I heard your sister is dancing at the club that night. Why don't we all go check her out?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me say this - my cousin shot a woman when he was 16 - in Indiana - he is white - he lived in the country and the woman lived in town and was taking the groceries out of her car. She died right there - shotgun, I think. Anyways, my cousin did not go to prison or jail or anything. And he has not done anything else to anyone - except himself. Tragedy happens to anyone. Let us hope the kid gets it together now that he has served his sentence.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 519
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope we never hear anything else about him again, good or bad. That would be the best thing.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline
C'mon, you can't tell me you didn't think the same thing.

Seriously though, any predictions on what his rap name will be?

Dede313
Username: Dede313

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe people are excusing him because he was 11 years old.... I know 5 year olders who know its wrong to fight..kill

321brian

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine,

Sorry, I just misread you paragraph. You are correct sir.

I will not attempt to read before 9am again.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His problem is, he doesn't have an appropriate role model. He should have asked himself, "What would John Gotti wear?"

Ravine

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brian, that's O.K.... Shit happens. Just like the time I got in big trouble, around here, for a particularly mean-spirited post of mine. I realized, later, that my offensiveness was largely traceable to the fact that, at the time of my post, I had not yet swozzled down any coffee. The fact that I am a high-handed, judgmental prick had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny seems like the family of the victim isn't as much out for his head as you all are...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070119/NEW S03/701190301/1005/

Jrvass

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Quotes from the Freep article).

Nathaniel Abraham, age 21, has got plans... "I can be a successful citizen like everybody else."

After all the previous court hearings, dozens of them in which Abraham appeared handcuffed and in jail garb, he came dressed to the nines for Thursday's proceedings, in an ivory pin-striped suit with pink shirt and matching alligator shoes and a black rabbit coat.

Nichole Edwards, 33, of Auburn Hills fought tears as she huddled with other family members in the courthouse hallway.

"They have something to celebrate," she said as Abraham's family hugged nearby. "We have lost a treasure. All we have is a cemetery plot to go to.

"I hope Nathaniel doesn't let us down."

(Snips)

Experts familiar with the juvenile system said Abraham's chances for re-entering society are remarkably good, if he can get past his own notoriety.

Leonard Dixon, director of the Department of Human Services' Bureau of Juvenile Justice, said 78% of graduates of the state's juvenile treatment programs remain free of criminal convictions two years after release.
-------------

Detroit_stylin...

You are painting us all with a broad brush. You have know idea if I am black or white.

But I will give you a goddamn clue... I voted against affirmative action in Michigan. I also agree with Martin Luther King. That we should all be judged on the content of our character, and not the color of our skin.

Long and short of it... a black boy killed a young black man in the prime of his life. And that "boy" has not satisfied the relatives of that black man; that he is sorry, contrite, or remorseful. He never will. But "Sorry" would be a start.

Either in the past or yesterday!

I agree with Bill Cosby. Our urban neighborhoods need serious help. And that begins with education. And a "mindset" change...

Illegitimate children at an early age is a prescription for failure! Attitudes of "whiteness" at studying and success! OMFG!

But I am getting off track now.

I wish Nathaniel, and you, my best.

For some reason, I feel you are defending a culture...

...that is disturbing and scary.

James

Mcp001

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm "out there", Jrvass?

This punk killed someone.

Unless you're falling into the B.S. "he-was-too-young-to-know-what -he-was-doing" argument.

He wasn't "too" young to know how to get into trouble prior to his killing someone, to say nothing about firing off a gun at a neighbor.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass

quote:

Tried as an adult, sentenced as a juvenile, the releasing judge hands were tied by the sentencing judge

Don't pay much attention to details, huh?

Jrvass

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001 and Cheddar_bob,

You can't change the "rules" after the fact. Sentencing or otherwise.

Do I like it? No. But then again, I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the fence.

You want to bitch about his sentencing? You are 10 years too late!

Now, I'm starting to think like Detroit_stylin...

It took me less than 20 posts to figure some here "might" be racist...

That is a God Damn Shame.

James

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The judge that released him was the same one that sentenced him. Judge Eugene Arthur Moore.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch this kid come back from a future successful musical career and pull off a Kalamazoo Promise in Pontiac. Fate plays tricks like that sometimes. Let it happen! :-)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are too many accusations of racism on DetroitYes.

It seems to be a "go to" for simple thinkers.

Stylin, your world is very narrow and small (based on the number of your posts that I've read).

The fact that you read that article in the Free Press and got out of it that the family of Mr. Greene was less "out for his head" than "you all are" is truly disturbing.

Also, I'm noticing that all of your posts sound the same. Accusing people of racism, feeling sorry for wrong-doers, blaming "the System".

People can't succeed in life by blaming anyone but themselves for their actions, right or wrong.

I hereby announce that I believe Stylin is a racist himself/herself. (based on his/her posts)

One more thing. Seriously, Nathaniel needs tons and tons of prayers. Add him to your list.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gets 4 years of college paid for by the state?! Why does this scum get his tuition paid for while tens of thousands of good, non-criminal Michigan kids have to pay their own way and come out on the other side with tens of thousands in debt?

Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/M ETRO/701190397

Superduperman

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually there are alot more young people in the system who get their education paid for by taxpayers money,personally I'm all for it.

Superduperman

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I like to call a spade a spade(no pun intended) seriously though if a persons post has racist undertones then why shouldn't it be called out? I've seen people called out because they have spelled words wrong in threads. I bet if any you all are racist you wont admit out in the open on the board even if asked..................

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5427
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's out and dressing like a PIMP! Nathaniel Abraham.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.