Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Asian moving to downtown detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mentho
Username: Mentho

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for advice about moving to downtown Detroit. I'm a young Korean female from Toronto considering to attend university (nursing program) in Detroit. I read from other threads that Troy would be a better option for Asians but I looked at some places online and I'm leaning towards living closer to the Detroit-Windsor border.

It'd be great if anyone could tell me if I'm in the "right" area, how safe the area is, and information about cultural discrimination/openess. Thanks.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant speak much for other areas of downtown, but there are many Asians (male and female) that live in my building here at Lafayette Towers.

Those that I personally know are very nice, and have spoken about how much they like living downtown.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume you would be attending Wayne State. The nieghborhood surrounding the University will be one of the more diverse in the city, and has many options for you. I wouldnt worry about any culturual discrimination there.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My next door neighbors are from Taiwan.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Mentho! Downtown Detroit is definitely welcoming to all races and ethnicities and has a growing diverse population. I recently moved downtown from the suburbs about two years ago and love it. Please feel free to email me at bchamburger@aol.com for any specific questions. I live in an area called Lafayette Park, this is great place for newcomers. It's safe, clean, diverse, affordable and adjacent to the Central Business District.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, despite what you may have heard about Detroit, it is actually pretty diverse (excluding whites and blacks). There isn't an 'Asian town,' so unless you wanted to start one you probably could find yourself fitting into any of the places which are mentioned above.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we will have "Asian Village" in about a month. Its really just going to be about 3 or 4 restaurants in one area of downtown. www.myasianvillage.com

Not really that authentic, sorry.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good Korean grocers are out in Troy though. Not to mention a few Korean churches.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the grocer and church in Troy would do little to outweigh everything that the Detroit neighborhoods have going for them, be it the CBD, Lafayette Park, or Midtown. But then again I am not Asian.

(Message edited by charlottepaul on February 05, 2007)

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of my Korean friends prefer Troy to the city. So, it goes beyond stores and churches. Troy actually has one of the highest concentrations of Koreans in SEMichigan.
BTW, my husband before we were married lived in Lafayette Park. You have to admit, the grocers are pretty bad around there. And if you don't make it to Eastern Market during the day, you're screwed.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy, Rochester have large Asian populations. John R between 11 and 14 mile has many Asian grocers and dining establishments.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64, I wouldn't say the grocers are BAD. They are more like average, just wish their hours were extended. I prefer Harbortown Market for my groceries but I have to admit I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Meijer because I find the prices are lower, I know their stores well and I know that they are always open.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harbortown Market is not too bad of a grocer, and is not too bad of a location, IMO.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harbortown is great if you don't need produce or dairy selection (aside from expensive cheese)but I recommend their frozen foods and canned goods, although a little expensive.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fill me in, honestly.

Does it matter to have to live with/near others of the same ethnicity? Is there something wrong/bad about just doing what you want to do?

I really want to know. Ethnicities tend to gravitate towards their own. I'm wondering why.

I say: Go where you will be happiest :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahemm..HoneyBee Market, Bagley at 17th...Great produce, great deli, BBQ Heads on weekends for the adventurous..Another great reason to live WEST of Downtown. Sadly, they do not sell any Korean foodstuffs...Troy is far from the city and always seems to have awful traffic, but they do have a better selection of Asian groceries...
Mentho, will you be at WSU? Campus might be your best bet...oh and Welcome!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81 has it right. Don't try to move to an area based on race. Make your decision based on your interests, and lifestyle. An Asian can live where ever they want. That is the whole problem with Detroit and many other parts of this country/ world....all of these unspoken boundaries.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't try to move to an area based on race. Make your decision based on your interests, and lifestyle."

Well, many times a persons interests and their lifestyle have a lot to do with being around people of their own race.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in an area that your own particular race is strongly represented.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either way there is no right answer. Some people base their decision on where to live because of their ethnicity others choose different reasons such as neighborhood amenities, schools, etc.

Whatever the reason is, there is no right or wrong decision.

Mentho

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I can't believe all the replies already! Thanks so much :-)

I'm not picky in having to live with other Asians, I was mainly concerned with safety. I admit that I heard a lot about how dangerous the city is (but mostly through people NOT from the Detroit, so I'm glad to get opinions from people who live there).

I haven't looked into Lafayette yet. Does anyone have any opinions on Millender apartments?

The lack of grocers concern me a bit since I'm big on cooking and eating :P but as long as I'm able to get some rice, meat, vegetables and fruits I'll be happy. Would the small grocers nearby carry this stuff?

Thanks again for all the help!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im sure you would have luck at Eastern Market for what you need.

Millender is nice. There is currently a thread on it. It even has a decent grocer in the building itself. Its close to the new Asian Village, although I am not sure how authentic the food there is, but I believe there are also a couple of shops where you may find what your looking for

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4719
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent Millender thread:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92608.html?1170614555

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, honestly; you are going to find Detroit very different from Toronto, but the CBD or midtown is going to be ever so much more similar to it than Troy will ever be. Sure you might have to travel out to Troy ever few weeks to get the 'ethnic groceries,' but you will find that much easier than traveling that route day in and day out for school.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5482
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mentho,

Don't see one of Terryh's comments about you concerning to move to Troy, Rochester Hills or Madison Heights. Come to Detroit where the action is. We have a new Asian Village Downtown on Atwater and Beaubien St.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually living in Lafayette park or the Millender would put you closer to Windsor with it's large Asian population, shops and eateries than Troy.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer makes an excellent point.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a Korean store on 7 Mile near Southfield, The 777 Store, I don't see a listing on Yahoo any more. But you can buy all most any kind of Korean Food on line.

http://www.kgrocer.com/
(This is just one.)
There are Korean churches listed in the yellow pages, if you call them they will tell you all you need to know about the area. (That is what we did the first time my wife visited Detroit). They will be happy to help you and give you a place to fellowship and get to know other Koreans in the city.
Years ago the International festival on the river had Koreans participating and it was beautiful, we met many local Koreans there, but I guess that is in the past. I hope you enjoy your time in the Motor city.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my korean sister is more than satisfied living in midtown detroit. - though i as well as many others would LOVE an outlet in which to purchase korean, japanese, and thai food supplies... University has a LITTLE bit, and there are some items at Rafel... but still, give a brother a break, i need SUPPLIES! but that is really a minor complaint for all the PLUSES of living in mid town... (asian or not)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Look, honestly; you are going to find Detroit very different from Toronto, but the CBD or midtown is going to be ever so much more similar to it than Troy will ever be. Sure you might have to travel out to Troy ever few weeks to get the 'ethnic groceries,' but you will find that much easier than traveling that route day in and day out for school.

Charlottepaul gives the best advice on this thread. If it were me, the biggest factor would be where I was working or going to school. If your job or school were in Troy, I might recommend living in Troy. But if you're attending Wayne State, living around downtown or midtown is probably a better bet. It will also certainly be closer to the large-city feel of Toronto (although it won't be the same of course).

Wayne State has a decent-sized population of Asians students, so I don't think you'll feel too far out of your element if that's an issue.

Also, the soon-to-open Asian Village structure by the RenCen has a "Korean" banner hanging out in front, what more could you ask for? :-) Andylinn -- I'm hopeful that Asian Village might also stock various asian food supplies... I guess we'll see.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Asian Village" is about 250 Meters from the Millender Center. It also has a very awesome location downtown in general. It's within walking distance to Campus Martius and Greektown, and it's connected to the People Mover.

And there is a big development that's going to start on the parking lots next to the Ren Cen. Since the Asian Village is right there, I suspect that it will attract some more Asians.

Mentho

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With this forum alone, I'm changing my mind about detroit :-) I think for the first year, I'll live on campus and move out in upper years.

Thank you everyone for your input. You have no idea how much your advices are helping me in deciding where I will be for the next 4 years.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Your(hopefully)new home in DETROIT, Mentho!!!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 949
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are groceries near Wayne State campus as well as large chain drug stores. Eastern Market is only a short distance from there as well.

You can live on campus and function quite well there.

I assume that is where you are going to nursing school. I know Henry Ford has a smaller program.

Good luck. Don't forget to stay in the area once you're done. Lots of canadians working in the hospitals here.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your idea of living downtown and doing your necessary Korean grocery shopping in Windsor is the best. I know there's a Korean grocery store a few blocks (walking distance) from the tunnel terminal in downtown Windsor so you could take the tunnel bus and do your shopping without a car if you so choose.

Otherwise, in Detroit, I'm not sure where the closest Asian market might be except for Asian Village, but it might be the Hmong market on Schoenherr (just west of Gratiot) north of 7 Mile. I think the people, but at the least most of the products, were/are imported from Thailand. This is not including any markets in Hamtramck which are Asian but might be limited to South Asian.

The stores in Madison Heights on John R between 12 and 14 Mile are all Vietnamese and Chinese, I believe. Korean ones can be found further east of John R.

A further out option would be to live in Ann Arbor, with all its other amenities and advantages with the disadvantage of being further from school than Troy. But there is a large Korean population in Ann Arbor with a couple Korean grocery stores and some very large Chinese ones.

I have a friend in the Millender. It is nice.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread just made me cry! good job forumers.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're moving from Toronto, I fear that you will be less than impressed with moving downtown...it's making progress, but there's still no decent grocery stores, no shopping malls anywhere, no place to go see a movie, etc. If that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then moving downtown shouldn't be an issue, but it's going to be quite a change from where you're probably at now...

Besides Troy, though, downtown Royal Oak is fun place to live and I think Novi actually has a larger Asian population than Troy does...plus it's mostly brand new...

But I agree with the other posters' regarding moving close to other Asians...that shouldn't that big of an issue for you IMHO

Cmubryan

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is too a movie theatre downtown. The Riverfront 4-located in the Renaissance Center.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 673
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Mentho! The Millender is a great choice. I'm not going to tell you not to worry about crime, but I thought you should know that Downtown Detroit has 37% less crime than the national average. (see the full study here - http://www.tedconline.com/uplo ads/Downtown_Detroit_Crime_Stu dy_2006.pdf)
Personally I LOVE living downtown for numerous reasons. If you ever want a tour or just to chat email me at jpierce@insidetroit.org

Thejesus

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There is too a movie theatre downtown. The Riverfront 4-located in the Renaissance Center."

Yep...there's also a train station called the Michigan Central Depot

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, the Riverfront 4 is an operating business, not an abandoned hulk

Thejesus

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah I know, I'm just being a dick...

Relatively speaking, compared to the types of movie theaters you get in the suburbs (Emagine, Star Theater, AMC 20) downtown does not have a movie theater...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Movies also shown here:

http://www.dia.org/dft/

Thejesus

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rest my case

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all depends on what attracts you, No, the downtown area doesn't have the shopping and strip malls and grocery stores the suburbs have, but on the other hand the suburbs do not have the cultural attractions, sporting events, downtown ambience, wayne state/midtown attractions, river etc that the downtown area has, Its all a matter of choice.

Thejesus

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Detroitbill says is true...

So you basically have to decide what you'll need more often and in closer proximity; grocery stores and shopping malls, or cultural attractions and sporting events...then just drive 20 miles when you need to for the ones you don't live near

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly,,, it all depends on what defines you and is important to your lifestyle,,

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So has Asian Village opened? Has anyone gone?

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lolol you guys slay me. A young Asian woman on this forum asks for help and already the vultures are circling.
Do you really think posting your email offering your help really isn't transparent?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

already the vultures are circling
Do you really think posting your email offering your help really isn't transparent?

I think Harmonie is a woman. Now if Terryh had posted an email, then you should worry.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8271
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worse if it were someone with a reputation, however undeserved.

Check out the FD Lofts in Eastern Market, too, Mentho.

Less than a mile from the Med Center, a mile and a half from Wayne State...maybe two...and just about a mile from everything from the Opera House to Orchestra Hall and the stadii.

Amazingly quiet at night...AND one of the best Thai & sushi restaurants around right on the corner.

(subtle, huh, guys?!)

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie In Korean means Grandmother.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 440
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa! Miles! She said that she was from Canada! MUST TRANSLATE! (I'm sure that she would prefer the post written in French as well).

Mentho

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This info about what's near by is really helpful.

I'm a bit ahead of myself here, but does anyone know if the gov hires non US citizens? If I finish my education in Detroit, I would want to stay to work. I know with private sectors, the companies will help you get the visa but I'm wondering how this works with gov positions. I would think the gov might only want to hire US citizens/residents.

As for renting, does anyone know if I need a guarantor who's a US (or MI specifically) resident/citizen?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mentho, I am a Property Manager for a very large apartment management company. We will approve a non-citizen even without a social security number if you can prove 2 years of good rental history and enough income to support your rent and other bills. Unfortunately we don't have any market rate housing inside the city of Detroit but I would say that this rule can be applied to a lot of apartments inside and outside the city.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has got to be one of the funniest titled threads in DetroitYes.com history.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.