Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Get well Wixie! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local Detroit TV kid’s show host and stand up comic Marv Welch is now in a nursing home. He’s having a rough time of it; his mind is still sharp, but his body isn’t cooperating. If you grew up in the 1950s watching Marv on WXYZ as Wixie Wonderland, were entertained by his stand up act, listened to his comedy albums or tuned in to his WBRB radio show, please take a minute to send Marv a short message to help cheer him up. Send your email to detroittvguy@hotmail.com, and put “Marv Welch” in the subject line. On February 21 I will print all of the emails and make sure that he receives them.

Check out this link for more about Marv Welch’s amazing career.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ Marv_Welch.htm
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4718
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Ed_golick.
Wixie is one of my earliest TV memories. Still remember Trivia contests at UM in the 70's everyone else brought up Howdy-Doody, while I talked about Wixie on that old B&W TV in our living room.

If I've never thanked you for your website, it was an oversight. My uncle worked at CKLW-TV back then, and getting to meet Cap'n Jolly, Poopdeck Paul, Jingles, etc was nirvana for that wide-eyed kid that was me.

Wish him and his family well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.