Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Northern Lights Lounge. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

660 West Baltimore. Real classy joint with excellent food. Very dark and intimate. I had a very quality club sandwich deluxe which tells me if an item on the sandwich side of the menu is that tasty the higher end goods must be even more delicious. Lots of history as the place was originally owned by Oakland Sugar House proprietor and Jewish mobster Charles Leiter (pronounced lighter). I found out Charlie owned it till Eighties? at which time his son took over the business. It was eventually closed for failure to pay taxes. It was the Hey Judes and some other name. Interestingly, I did a google search on leiters lounge and the first link that popped up was a sponic vs. city of Detroit with information on a law school link about the Anchor Bar and Leiters lounge being under surveilance in 1973;so chances are Charles Leiter never completely left the world of organized crime. A patron at the bar mentioned that he met an older man who knew Charles Leiter and the guy used to borrow money from him for gambling debts. Everyone working at the place had heard of Charles Leiter. Its fun doing historical research and gathering information.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, slow down! Are you starting a discussion, asking a question, or encouraging us to go there?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coffee.I need more coffee.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they serve chocolate pie?

Terryh

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes yes and yes Charlotte. Three cups of coffee and two pepsi colas so yeah I guess I am a little wired.

Terryh

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill find out about the chocolate pie when I visit the club on soul night!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds interesting. I won't have the potential to see it until I next come up to Detroit for St. Patrick's Day weekend. Can you post some stellar pics in the meantime?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I am just in the architecture profession and I do better visually than with the narrative.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, for the love of god, please don't talk about *chocolate* pie with Terryh...

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a really cool club. I went a couple times during the Tastefest weekend, had an incredible wonderful time.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`ve stopped in there a few times its never done much for me ..
Tastefest weekend is always a great time at Northern Lights and I`ll stop in once in a while when Bobby East and the reefermen are playing ..

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate pie sounds good right about now. Lookin' forward to hearing about Terrhy's review of soul night!

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a set those Reefermen play!!!

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern Lights has had some impressive electronic music nights across the year too. I recently went to a James Brown tribute night that was a blast. It's a good spot.

-spiff

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss The Tandem.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does that place always charge a cover?

The one time I went there we had a great time, but when we went back they were charging $10 or something to get in to an almost empty bar.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8255
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends upon the event or the day of the week.

Wishiniwasnthed
Username: Wishiniwasnthed

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a good time at Northern Lights. The time that I went, I saw a few of Detroit's native sons. Dwele, a Neo-Soul artist, and DJ Houseshoes, and a whole host of other rappers and artist. I agree, a very cool place to be. They have great food and drinks.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like NL's "retro" feel. Very '70s.
Saw the Muldoons and SSM there last year and only been back a couple of times since. It's almost always trance or techno when I go, and I'm not a big fan of paying cover for that genre.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went a few weeks ago...great place. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.