Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Derby Girls season kicks off February 17th « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly recommend checking out one of the roller derby bouts at the Masonic. The next one is February 17th and it's a rematch between last year's champion and runner up teams. There's more information on their web site at http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

My friends have asked if it's fake like what was on TV some decades ago. No, it's not. These women train pretty seriously for this and it's really competitive.

The Derby Girls will also be at the upcoming Men's Expo this weekend.

February poster

megphite@yahoo.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Announcing Detroit Derby Girls 2007 Home Season Opener February 17, 2007

Detroit, Michigan—February 5, 2007. The Detroit Derby Girls are gearing up for their 2007 home season, which opens with a grudge match between the 2006 champions the Detroit Pistoffs and the 2006 second-place finishers the Pistolwhippers on February 17, 2007 at the Masonic Temple (500 Temple Street, Detroit, MI). Doors open at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $15.00 and are available now at any Michigan Meijer store or at <www.starticketsplus.com>.

These teams last met in October, when the Pistoffs claimed victory in the 2006 DDG championship bout with a score of 121-113. The Pistoffs’ great teamwork was evidenced in their use of assists and offensive blocking, and enabled them to ultimately pull ahead of the Pistolwhippers, who exhibited characteristic speed and big hits, but who also found themselves in deep penalty trouble. Both teams have been training hard since, and with such a close point spread the win could go to either team on February 17. While fast-moving and hard-hitting flat track roller derby is the centerpiece of the DDG, additional entertainment will be provided by the DDG cheerleaders and DJs Grimly Fiendish and Elisavet. After-party entertainment includes a special event at the Attic Bar (11667 Joseph Campau, Hamtramck, MI) with DJ Humanfly, the Jeff Hoagland Band, and the Widowmakers, as well as appearances by DDG guest bartenders. The DDG is also sponsoring a coat drive at this bout, and asks that fans bring gently used winter coats or other winter apparel, which will be donated to a local charity.

Furthermore, the captains of both the Pistoffs and the Pistolwhippers have surely brought back to their teams some of the lessons learned during two recent bouts against WFTDA sister leagues, where a DDG all-star travel team comprised of players from all four home teams (the Detroit Pistoffs, the Pistolwhippers, the D-Funk All-Stars, and the Devil’s Night Dames) played all-star travel teams representing the Grand Raggidy Rollergirls (Grand Rapids, MI) and the Ohio Roller Girls (Columbus, OH). The DDG won both of these games (DDG 121-GRR 54; DDG 131-OHRG 114), aided in large part by stellar performances by both Pistoffs’ captain Cookie Rumble and assistant captain Bikini Killer and Pistolwhippers’ captain Honey Suckit and assistant captain KillBox. After experiencing the rigors of inter-league bouting and exposure to different styles of play, it would be no surprise to see a greater level of intensity during the 2007 DDG home season, beginning with this exciting rematch between the Detroit Pistoffs and the Pistolwhippers. For the rest of the home season schedule, please see the DDG website, <www.detroitderbygirls.com>.

The Detroit Derby Girls, established in early 2005, is an all-female owned and operated flat track roller derby league. Over 60 skaters strong, the Detroit Derby Girls are part of the national rebirth of roller derby that began in 2001. Currently, over 40 leagues have formed throughout the US and are joined together by the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA, <www.wftda.org>). The WFTDA is the national organizing body that has equal representation from all active flat track leagues in which women skaters are primary owners, managers and operators.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Derby Girls website is an outstandingly fun and well-designed site. My favorite is the team page for the Detroit Pistoffs. The player profiles are wonderful.

http://www.detroitrollerderby. com/detroitpistoffs/index.html

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Lowell, there's your volcano stuffers.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone make it to the derby last night? I went with my husband and my son, we had a terrific night in the city celebrating my sons 15th b'day and my husbands 54th. We started off with dinner at Slows then up to the Coach Insignia for cocktails and the view, then over to the Masonic for a truly unique experience. Those Derby Girls really put on a show and take some serious hits and falls, it was an experience we won't forget, fun crowd and atmosphere, a good time.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there with friends. Yes, it was one of the best bouts yet. Fortunately no skaters were seriously hurt. My girlfriend says the muscle soreness is just starting to set in, however I think she delivered more pain than she took and won the MVP. (I'm so proud :-) )

------------------------

519-818-0798
misscanadaDDG@hotmail.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Results of the Detroit Derby Girls 2007 Home Season Opener: February 17, 2007

Detroit, Michigan—February 18, 2007. The Detroit Derby Girls’ 2007 home season opened Saturday, February 17 with a grudge match between the 2006 champions the Detroit Pistoffs and the 2006 second-place finishers the Pistolwhippers. The Detroit Pistoffs had an exceptional start, but the Pistolwhippers were able to close the score gap; after some tense and exciting back-and-forth, the Pistolwhippers won the game by a slim margin of 125-122, giving the Pistoffs their first loss ever.

Pistolwhippers blocker and jammer Diesel Doll emerged as MVP of the game, with not only a 6-point stint as jammer, but also 5 assists, 12 defensive blocks, and 7 knockdowns as a blocker. Diesel Doll’s performance as a blocker also earned her the title of Defensive Blocker of the Game—as well as the game’s Penalty Queen, with 20 minor penalties resulting in 5 trips to the penalty box. Pistoffs jammer Deadly Dose was the high-scoring Jammer of the Game, with an incredible 52 points in 8 jams (6.5 points per jam), despite a recent knee injury. Pistolwhipper Cassie Corridor was Offensive Blocker of the Game, with 14 assists (9 whips, 3 pushes, and 2 bulldozers) and 2 offensive blocks.

The next game of the 2007 season is scheduled for March 24, and features the D-Funk All-Stars vs. the Devil’s Night Dames. These teams last met in September, during the 2006 season, when the D-Funk All Stars, captained by Black Eyed Skeez, claimed victory with the help of jammer Vega Vendetta (2006 Jammer of the Year) and blocker Whiskey Soured (2006 Offensive Blocker of the Year). But this season the Devil’s Night Dames roster of veterans—like former figure skaters turned jammers Rock Candy and Summer’s Eve-L, and defensive powerhouses Tura Skatana and Lady MacDeath—are buttressed by promising rookie players who make this anyone’s game. All bouts are held at the Masonic Temple (500 Temple Street, Detroit, MI). Doors open at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $15.00 and are available now at any Michigan Meijer store or at <www.starticketsplus.com>. For the rest of the home season schedule and additional information about tickets, please see the DDG website, <www.detroitderbygirls.com>.

The Detroit Derby Girls, established in early 2005, is an all-female owned and operated flat track roller derby league. Over 60 skaters strong, the Detroit Derby Girls are part of the national rebirth of roller derby that began in 2001. Currently, over 40 leagues have formed throughout the US and are joined together by the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA, <www.wftda.org>). The WFTDA is the national organizing body that has equal representation from all active flat track leagues in which women skaters are primary owners, managers and operators.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I was there too with Mrs. Lowell. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics. What a fun event! Got my Detroit Pistoffs t-shirt too.

Derby Girls Detroit

Derby Girls Detroit

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell for the shots. My batteries were removed from my camera on our way in as no cameras are allowed unless you are "special". We sat in the second turn pictured just above in the front row to the right a bit. My son bought a Derby Girls cap, maybe next time I'll get a shirt, only $15.00!
Fishtoes, I can only imagine how sore those girls must be, damn they are tough. I hope you know how to give a good massage, she probably needs one. A girl I work with has a sister (McGinty)who skates on the D Funk Allstars, maybe we'll come to the next derby to see her go at it.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've seen, they wear their bruises with pride. At their January awards party, some were autographing the bruises they gave. :-)

Sonic Ruth was doing okay after the bout. She was the one that was knocked down hard near the scorer's table. She tweaked her back and just had the wind knocked out of her.

McGinty? I don't know them by their real names. In fact a lot of the women only know each other by their derby names.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes--

Now that you have some more time on your hands (25 hours in the day, as opposed to your usual 29), are you going to be promoting the Detroit Derby Girls full time?

Can we expect a special appearance by Vince McMahon, Donald Trump or Rosie O'Donnell to really lay down the smack?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can we expect a special appearance by Vince McMahon, Donald Trump or Rosie O'Donnell to really lay down the smack?

In keeping with the Detroit theme, they're working on Bill Bonds... ;)

Will I be promoting Derby Girls? I'll do whatever Diesel Doll tells me to. I don't need to be knocked down and bruised.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.