Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shield's Pizza moving to Kales Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

originally I read it on ModelD...here's the DetNews article

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070131/B IZ/701310370/1001

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news! Downtown will definately benefit from a new family place. From my recolection, downtown didn't have very many pizza places, so this should really be nice.

Best wishes to the new place!

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also coming is Angelina's Bistro"

That's more good news for downtown!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you think we'd missed that one?
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92205.html?1170285956

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the article:
"The restaurant left the city of Detroit in the mid-'80s, closing a restaurant near the Lodge Freeway and Woodward Avenue"

this description is kind of vague as these 2 roads don't intersect

anyone know where they were actually located?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was not far from Buddy's.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wonder if they'll deliver

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We kind of abandoned Detroit."

At least they admit it. Forgiven (if the pizza's good). Can't wait to try it. It will be located in a great spot for pedestrian traffic to/from games and shows.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...closing a restaurant near the Lodge Freeway and Woodward Avenue."

Where would this have been? The Lodge doesn't cross Woodward. I think the writer meant to say the location of Shield's was at Greenfield and the Lodge Freeway. I remember going to that Shield's back in the early 80s.

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is some pretty sloppy reporting. The article lists there being a restaurant in Dearborn, but the restaurant on Telegraph just south of Ford Rd. (in Dearborn) has been closed for almost four years.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless, it is nice to have a retail establishment in the Kales building. I know that their ground floor was setup for something, and that area of downtown can use some interaction on the street level.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5484
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Shield's Pizza Welcome back to Detroit.

Keith
Username: Keith

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Shields closed in the early 80's. It was on Davison near Conant...near the original Buddy's which is on 6 mile and Conant. They were rivals for Detroit's best pizza as far back as I can remember.
They closed the original and opened more in the 'burbs.
I second the "Welcome back to Detroit"

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, what does occupying the lobby and the basement really mean? Is most of the seating going to be below ground or will there be an ample amount of seating on the first floor and some seating in the basement?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 839
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have seating on the main floor and kitchen/support in the basement. A lot of smaller floor-plan city restaurants are like that.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Shields was on Davison and Shields. Hence the name. The original owner, so I am told, was a cook at Buddys and took the pizza recipe with him.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last time I drove down that stretch of East Davison (last year, maybe?), the building that housed the original Shields Bar was still standing.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That cook was Louie. He sponsored our softball team for a few years. I still have my Shield's Pizza jersey somewhere in the basement, black print on orange.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a connection with Louie's on Dequindre and 9 Mile? Is the same Louie the cook that started Shields? Louie's pizza is pretty similar to Buddys, yet I still prefer the ORIGINAL Buddy's on 6 Mile.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Louie's in Hazel Park was started by the same Louie from Buddy's and Shield's.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.