Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Masonic and Cass Corridor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So yesterday, I was watching Discover Detroit on PBS and they did this nice story on the Masonic, with a brief history and a tour of the place (never been it, but it looked excellent).

Anyway, it got me to thinking... The area around the Masonic is desolent to say the least and with all the development being done to downtown & Brush Park, are there any plans for Cass Corridor? I know they cleared out some of the abandoned buildings in the area, but there are still too many to count, especially with Cass Tech right down the street.

Also, will the big-ticket events return? I remember they used to house a few operas back in the day, and even had a couple of gospel concerts, but all I can find on there now is the Detroit Derby Girls schedule.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was talk of a huge project that would be very exciting for the Cass Corridor last spring, but it never materialized, maybe it is still planned and they are trying to line up financing, but who knows?

You wouldn't find operas at the Masonic Temple anymore, as they are performed at the Opera House. I think MOT used Masonic and maybe the Fisher theater pre-DOH for operas.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might want to dig deeper on the events held at Masonic. Events recently held include: Earth Wind and Fire, Tenacious D, many White Stripes shows and various musicals.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7394
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not forgetting that it's a Nederlander venue. I saw Hairspray there last season.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past few years I have seen Wicked and Phantom there...

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Harry Chapin there and a LOT of other stuff many years ago including my high school graduation!

There are shows that won't fit well (or at all) on the Fisher stage, it's not really all that big (even though "Big" was there!). So Nederlander has used Masonic for larger productions.

Masonic was renovated for Phantom back when that first came here. The renovations were about changing/updating technical aspects so the show could 'go in'. Holes through to the trap room/basement, access to the top of the proscenium for scenery + actors. New rigging to handle the scenery. I remember a few months of construction activity to do all of this before the show got to town.

(Message edited by ptero on February 06, 2007)

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx,

The lower Cass Corridor, which includes the Masonic, does indeed remain in rough shape. Most of the encouraging nearby redevelopment has occurred in the upper corridor, where there has been some new businesses and a lot of ongoing building rehabilitation for living space.

Hopefully, the positive momentum continues its southerly march and transforms the Masonic area, which is situated on a lovely park diag that ought to be the focal point of a vibrant neighborhood. As of right now, it's a pretty sketchy area full of drugs and poverty.

I was going to say that I saw the Lion King there, but now I'm confused and can't remember whether it was there or the Fisher Theater. But the White Stripes have played some great shows at the Masonic and its Scottish Rite Theater.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Cass Tech affect the area?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit blog guy visits the area:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 459

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8268
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock - Lion King was at the Masonic or the Temple or the Masonic Temple. I can't recall what it is actually called.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, another point that hasn't really been brought up on this thread yet. At a point in history, detroit had more theatres than any other city except for New York. Today that are still a relatively high number. Therefore, there isn't just 'one big theatre' in the center of the CBD. There are many many great ones throughout the city. Therefore, the fact that the Masonic isn't always having 'the big shows' doesn't mean anything really.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,

This is something that has not been well capitalized upon in the past.

It could and should be moving forward.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rolling Stones played the masonic back in '78

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mind_field

I heard the out of town developer who was working on the rumored “big project” near Cass Park was deeply offended by the suggestion of kickbacks to key city officials. I heard this wealthy publisher/real estate developer walked away from the deal completely.

Does anyone know a rumor to corroborate my rumor about the big rumor of a project?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or since the rumored big project has been walked away from, maybe someone could just tell those of us not in the know what it was.

Developer
Username: Developer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pearl Jam played there in 92 or 93.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Santana play there in '78, and Stanley Clarke around the same time. Also saw the B-52's there around '80. Great theatre. Did they play movies back in the day, or was it always a performance theatre?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The removal of two entities could improve the lower Cass Corridor area: the Neighborhood Service Organinzation(NSO) and the Jeffries Project Homes.

The homes are scheduled to be reworked to mimic Woodward Estates, which is the mixed-income development that's just to the north and west of the Jeffries Homes.

The NSO and many other homeless facilities dot this area. Gentrification could do wonders since there are four schools in the area that could attract affluent or at least middle income residents. At least three of these schools are top notch schools: Cass Tech High School, Malcolm X Academy(K-8, and the Detroit School of the Arts High School. The fourth school, Marilyn Lundy Charter School(K-8) may or may not be top notch. I don't know much about this school but it is one of two elementary school choices in the area.

The issue with Cass Corridor continues to be servicing the homeless versus gentrification. Clearly, the area can't be built up if the homeless remain in the area, but the question becomes, "Where do the homeless go if they're sent packing?"

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is supposed to happen with the Jeffries next month?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge Estates, not Woodward Estates.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where do the homeless go if they're sent packing?"

New Jersey. Worked for Guiliani, right?

::satire::

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether you like it or not, I think that it won't be too long before the homeless are squeezed out as development from the CBD creeps north and WSU developments gradually extend south. They will end up going somewhere, and I really doubt that anyone is going to transport them to NJ...

Cartoonguy
Username: Cartoonguy

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is plenty of space in Detroit for the homeless. It is not like Cass Corridor is the only area in the city that has an abundance abandoned buildings. No need to shed a tear over gentrification in Cass Corridor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.