Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Place your Non-Smoking Bets on Detroit. When? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder when Detroit will become a non-smoking city? I was just in Youngstown, Ohio. You no longer can smoke anywhere there. Youngstown Ohio? Damn. Don't forget the entire country of France too! If it can happen there, it can happen here. I give Detroit two years. ps, I quit three months ago.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It's not just Youngstown, but the entire State of Ohio. They passed a referendum in November.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You haven't been able to smoke in Washtenaw County for a few years now.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I predict it'll happen within about five to seven years.

Danindc

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but you can still pickle your liver, eat shitty food to your heart's content, and not exercise one iota. Hooray for legislated healthiness!

Waiting for states to start banning Dunkin Donuts....

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope soon. I dont care if people smoke I just dont want to smell like I do when I go to a bar or restaurant.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooner the better. I believe nearly every state and providence surrounding has or is planning on banning smoking in public places.

Dj_tom_t
Username: Dj_tom_t

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very soon I hope! I hate smelling like an ashtray when I come home from work...plus it will be nice to inhale smoke free air.

Pass the law!!!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our lawmakers will never pass the law until we are the last state to do it. Their argument is it would hurt business and it is people's choice to go to these establishments.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also hope it's sooner than later...and i have smoking friends who feel the same way. nyc has been smoke free for some time now, and they seem to be doing ok.

and danidc...not sure if you knew this or not, but there is a movement for a nationwide ban on the use of trans fat oils in restaurants, more specifically in deep fryers...and i think a law has already passed in nyc. http://www.bantransfats.com/

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUote:

i also hope it's sooner than later...and i have smoking friends who feel the same way. nyc has been smoke free for some time now, and they seem to be doing ok.

yea we have been smoke free in NYC for a while but, we also have 10 million people cramped into a tiny island 13 miles lond and 3 miles wide so no, in fact businesses would not be affected but in Michigan where your population is so spread out it can do some damage especially when quite a number of people there smoke.

Danindc

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^banning trans fats doesn't mean all food is going to be healthy!

Why is legislation required to ban smoking? Do establishments not already have a legal right to ban it within their own places of business? Our democracy was established to protect the rights of the minority--why are we suddenly enraptured with "majority rules" demagoguery?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in CA, first you couldn't smoke inside ANYWHERE. (And, frankly, I laughed at the so-called healthy folks who jogged beside the road, breathing in far more emissions from vehicles than they would possibly get from my cigarette.) Then it was illegal to wear perfume people could smell 20 feet away from you. Next, it was attempting to outlaw steakhouses because of a) methane naturally produced by cows and b) smokehouse emissions.

Sorry, but I'm a bit tired of the gov. legislating every tiny detail of our lives. I do smoke and it's partially in protest of the liberties that have already been taken or restricted. I don't smoke around children or non-smokers. When I want to smoke at work (not often in these cold temps.) I have to stand outside in a painted-on box, away from any shelter, and will be reported to management if i step one foot outside the box. So much for personal choice.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a smoker. They can ban smoking anywhere for all I care, except I think that they should allow it in places that serve alcohol. If you can get a permit to sell alcohol, why not be able to get a permit to allow smoking in your bar, bowling alley, or restaurant? Not only would it be an extra revenue source, but it would still leave some rights up to the individual owners of the establishments and the clientele they wish to serve.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When? Not soon enough. (Then, I'll go back to Slows.)

Bob

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, that is exactly what the thinking of most of our state lawmakers right now. I would print the letter from mine right here, but do not have his permission to do so. But you basically said everything her did.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washtenaw County has not banned smoking in bars and restaurants, although it has in all public places I believe. Mercifully there are several restaurants and restaurant bars there where smoking is not permitted, banned by the owners.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11213
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just one more freedom being chiseled away. Where and when does this shit stop? Government and lawmakers need to mind their own damn business, and I ain't even a smoker! Next they'll be trying to bring back prohibition.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that may be true, walterwaves, but if the entire state bans it, then it won't make much of a difference. i know we are speaking about just detroit right now, but it seems the trend is once one large city or several cities in the state ban it, the whole state follows...maybe i am incorrect, but isn't that how it progressed in ohio?

and i totally agree with you on that, danindc. i just remembered having a conversation with a friend about that topic when i read your comment about banning donuts and wondered if you realized something like that was already in the works. people will still eat fried foods, and overeat, and eat other fatty foods...banning trans fats probably will not make that much of a difference in regards to this country's obesity problems.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who spend a great deal of time on both sides of the bar, I would strongly support a no smoking ordinance for restaurants and bars.
I personally find it disgusting.
But, if this is being done under the idea that it is"protecting us from the action of others" then where do we stop. Even in the limited scope of inhaling harmful fumes, there is a vast array of
violaters. vehicles with faulty emissions, building contractors demolishing structures containing asbestos, city owned industries violating clean air laws, the list goes on and on.
Mtm- I hear what your saying regarding your liberties, I'm not sure standing alone in the cold
is a way to get your point across.
May I suggest the next time you find yourself in an elevator with some of the decision makers...
cut a fart.

Mtm

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...ah, if only one could "cut a fart" at will. Thankfully the methane protestors haven't hit beans - YET.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So basically all of those that agree to outlaw smoking will also agree that drinking alcohol, driving cars, buses etc, demolition, chimney smoke any type of manufacturing plant etc etc should then also be banned. Am I right?

Funny sight I have ever witnessed was a guy smoking as he passes a lady with a newborn and he purposely blows smoke so it does not hit the baby or the lady and this dumbass woman coughs on purpose to make a statement, then as she waits with her baby in tow a city bus comes right by and blows a thick black cloud of exhaust all over her and the baby and she continues smiling as if god him self reached down from the heavens and touched them.
Basically, she was being an ass towards the dude and gets thick black soot blown all over her and the kid but thats ok.
lolol you guys kill me. Id rather live my life and shrivel up like Sammy Davis Jr than have to deal with you so called health gurus with twisted mentalities.

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 06, 2007)

Danindc

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like the smell of seafood. It makes me gag, and I get sick. I think all restaurants should be banned from serving seafood.

Mtm

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran across an article the other day - Washington Post? - that said that most tests for second hand smoke were done on elderly non-smokers who were "trying to remember" when they were exposed to cigarette smoke. There is actually no scientific evidence that second-hand smoke causes lung cancer or the thousand other ills attributed to it.

Heck! My grandmother was in her late 80's, had smoked more than two packs a day of unfiltered cigarettes for most of her life and her doctor congratulated her on her lung health. She smacked him. (She had advanced alzheimers.) My Dad chews tobacco and was on the DFD for almost 40 years with no air mask and is in perfect physical health.

(Message edited by mtm on February 06, 2007)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

June 27, 2012.

Danindc

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be happy to let the anti-smoking zealots pass any laws they wish--as long as they all start running 20-25 miles a week with me.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little weird, I guess. I smoke, avidly, but I would never light up in a restaurant, even in the "smoking section." It just seems inconsiderate, rude in fact. And, speaking of "smoking sections," the whole concept seems absurd; it's the same damn room, ain't it? However, even though I'm never in bars, I must say that it seems crummy to be barred (har) from smoking in a bar. It just seems to go with drinking, for many folks. I look at it like this: If you don't want to be around people drinking, don't go to a bar. If you don't want to be around people smoking, don't go to a bar. I propose that some bars market themselves as "non-smoking" bars; it would seem that idea would fly. Making it illegal to smoke in ANY bar seems silly, but that's just my opinion.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a "smoking section" in a restaurant is like having a "peeing section" in a swimming pool.

Bob

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally do not like being around smokers, so I choose to frequent places that do not allow smoking. But that is my choice, just like smokers should have the choice to go to a bar and smoke. They only thing I hate is in my apartment complex, my downstairs neighbors chain-smoke, and I can no longer open my windows because of this. They smoke in the hallway (which is against health code), and in fact smoke around their 6 month old grandchild (they are extreme white-trash, not exactly the brightest people on the block and now they are condemning their grandchild to the same stupidity). But it is legal for them to smoke in their apartment, so I am just screwed. But I am moving soon (buying a house), so I am just dealing with it, since the apartment owners will not do anything about it, and the health department is so backlogged they do not have time to deal with it.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little over three months ago I was at a bar around 1 am and this little weasely guy walked in, sat down next to me and then asked me if I could not smoke next to him... Dude, you're in a bar past midnight and you sat down next to me, so no.

Ravine

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't usually issue blanket condemnations without stressing that "it's just my opinion," but I have no hesitance before stating that people who smoke around kids are assholes who deserve a sound beating.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a picture of my mom and I when I was about a month old... I'm in a baby carrier on the floor and my mom has a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, where is it written that if you want to go to a bar to have a drink, that you MUST smoke or breathe the smoke of others?
Where is it written that if you go to a nightclub to hear music, you MUST smoke, or breathe in the smoke of others?
Are these activities bound together forever and all time, and you can't do just one of them at a time? Please tell me which lawbook this is laid out in.

Danindc

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No different than if you're walking down the street, and you MUST breathe in the exhaust from someone's oversized assault vehicle.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to be zealously pro-smoking (Yea, smokers’ rights!), because the majority of my family lights up light a chimney. Then I realized how badly my clothes smelled after being in a smoking establishment & my families’ homes & cars. Even worse, I got sick with respiratory problems seemingly every time I visited my families’ homes & rode with them in their cars.

Now, I seldom go to public restaurants/bars/etc. that allow smoking. I don’t like the smell of my clothes & hair after leaving such places, & I hate the way my respiratory system feels after being in them, as if my lungs were assaulted. I have some friends who simply cannot be in smoking establishments for health reasons—their bodies go completely berserk after being exposed to the smoke. As it is, if I’ve got a yen for certain food from smoking establishments, I just do take-out. If the state passed a no-smoking ban, I’d be enjoying the beer & food at many, many, many more places.

Looking at the alcohol/smoking parallel that was mentioned above, I figure if folks want to drink alcohol, they have the responsibility to make sure they do it in a way so as not to infringe on the fundamental rights of others—i.e., they drink, they don’t drive (Yea, the right not to be hit by a drunk driver!). Smoking is the same for me. Smokers can kill themselves, their families, & their pets in their houses & cars all they want, but I prefer they not kill me, too. (Yea, breathers’ rights!)

Lastly, I have very selfish motivations. My mother passed away a couple years ago after an aneurysm burst in her brain. She was a heavy, heavy smoker, & the coroner said her smoking contributed greatly to her death (apart from working herself to death). I wish I’d had more time to be with her. Fortunately, although my mom’s sister (a heavy, heavy smoker) suffered a burst aneurysm last year, the miracle workers at U of M hospital were able to operate on her 8+ aneurysms successfully. I get to spend more time with her. Yea, Aunt Karen survived! :-)

Ravine

Post Number: 625
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, my comment wasn't meant to apply to our parents, who did not know what we know now. Pffft, who said anything about law? Did I not CLEARLY STATE that I was expressing my opinion?

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think you were, Ravine...

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the lawmakers don't pass the bill, then it will get on the ballot next election by signatures. If it can pass in Ohio, it can pass in Michigan. The Governor supports it and would sign legislation if it got to her.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^No different than if you're walking down the street, and you MUST breathe in the exhaust from someone's oversized assault vehicle.

Or going to a friends house, at least the vehicle in a PUBLIC space, unlike the other who want to dictate the actions of a PRIVATE business owner and his business.

If this passes how do regulate a business owner who owns that business, his private business from smoking within his own domain.

Danindc

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weird thing is, the DC Metropolitan Police do not have power to enforce the smoking ban. That power is reserved for the DC Department of Health. As if you're going to find a bureaucrat on the clock after 4:15 on a weekday, or at all on a weekend.

Walterwaves

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say I can live with the smoking ban if we can legalize weed dammit!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too many so called freedoms are allowed by the state when they are known to increase the risk of death to the person sitting next to you.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just find it amusing when you're in a room of non-smokers, say at a party. Private property, so laws don't apply. No one is smoking, yet a smoker arrives. The smoker then goes through the trouble of opening a window (it's -10* outside at the time) "so we won't have to smell it." It just boggles my mind the lengths some smokers will do to in order to not inconvenience themselves, while simultaneously inconveniencing everyone else.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard rumor they were talking about banning smoking in apartment complexes, because the smoke could somehow get in the vents or whatever and into non-smoker's apartments. The ultimate step over the line, telling you what you can't even do IN YOUR OWN HOME.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smokers: Smoke all you want, just please don't ash on my child or blow smoke in my eight-months-pregnant face every time I walk in a gas station or grocery/liquor store to pick up some eggs or ice cream.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELCOME TO THE POLICE STATE!

_sj_

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Smokers: Smoke all you want, just please don't ash on my child or blow smoke in my eight-months-pregnant face every time I walk in a gas station or grocery/liquor store to pick up some eggs or ice cream.

And to stop wearing cologne, perfume, body spray, hair spray, baby powder.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I propose we leave it to the owners of said establishments. They know the clientele of there bar better than anybody else so let them decide if smoking or not is going to hurt business. Just clearly mark on the outside smoking or not. Most bars are full of smokers night clubs are not. I'm sure some comprimise could be reached without loss of business.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I find so funny is the smokers saying that banning smoking should be voluntary, and expecting the non-smokers to take up the cause and get bar owners to ban smoking.

Well, why should we? Detroit may be behind the times, but the global trend is to outlaw smoking in bars and restaurants, so all we have to do is sit complacently and the lawmakers will take care of it for us. The irony is, to save smoking in bars, it's the SMOKERS that would have to step up and convince a majority of bars to go smoke-free! If you guys get a coalition together and accomplish that, then hell, i'll support your smoking bars, cuz i'll have plenty of alternatives.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the government have anything better to do than to legislate us to death? I'm a non-smoker but I think private businesses should be free to choose to be a non-smoking establishment or not. Let the people decide, via their wallets. Smokers should be free to smoke at a nightclub, bar, etc as long as the OWNER chooses that freedom. However, I think most people would choose to patronize a place that is smoke-free.

_sj_

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

However, I think most people would choose to patronize a place that is smoke-free.

Funny thing is opposite is true, after banning smoking the businesses suffer. Look at Windsor, shit look at NY. New York area bars, just keep a donation can around to cover the fine.

Have the balls ban smoking altogether.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I initially opposed the non-smoking because of personal liberty issues, my smoking friends have adapted and now actually welcome the law because it has helped them cut down on the number of cigarettes they would smoke in a night.

The real issue with the no-smoking in bars is what happens to your seat at the bar if you leave to take a smoke. There's been some trouble there I can say, though overall though it's always interesting to see the bartender play judge in these situations. A good bartender worth their mettle will take charge and to be sure that their word is not messed with. Also for the newer bartenders, who now are usually some college kid or wannabe actor in the background, the no-smoking law is forcing them to take more interest in what goes on at the bar, which for me is a welcome throw-back to the old school bartenders I met when I first arrived in Brooklyn. So the no-smoking law does have its unexpected benefits.

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on February 07, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just have a separate room in the back of each bar, completely closed off, for smokers? That way, non-smokers could enjoy their drinks in the cleaner air in the front of the bar, and they wouldn't have to walk through the smoking area. Conversely, the smokers could all get together in their own little den and enjoy each other's smoke.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard the majority of studies show smoking bans do not hurt businesses and tourism, but may actually help them by drawing in new customers, and vacating tables more quickly (smokers cannot linger after eating to smoke). Below are a few articles discussing this.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/c ontent/abstract/281/20/1911
http://www.enquirer.com/editio ns/2004/09/28/loc_loc1asmoke.h tml
http://www.hotel-online.com/Ne ws/PR2003_1st/Feb03_BanAffect. html

In response to an earlier post about the so-called non-dangers of second-hand smoke, recently, the Surgeon General’s studies concluded exposure to second-hand smoke is dangerous. The article from 2004, however, suggests there is room for debate.
http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/ 2006pres/20060627.html
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/ library/secondhandsmoke/
http://www.enquirer.com/editio ns/2004/09/27/loc_loc1asmoke.h tml

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

26 states ban smoking in restaurants. Last yr Alabama did. Even the huckleberry's can enjoy dinner w/o smoke.

Michigan will be the 48th or 50th state to go. Maybe the Ohio ban will push us along. Granholm would sign it, but the legislators all take tobacco money.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Detroit would go smoke free. We were at a club in Detroit and myself(and my other friends with me from Toronto) could not take the smoke. We could not dance as much as we do in Toronto with the smoke free clubs.

PLEASE GO SMOKE FREE

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MTM-- while your grandmother's and dad's health luck is wonderful, one can't rely on such exceptions as a reason to justify tobacco use. I hope your dad is getting regular oral cancer exams with that tobacco chewing.

My dad dropped dead last year at age 58. Never drank to excess, never used tobacco, good body weight, low cholesterol, low blood pressure. But perhaps if he'd had more than occasional exercise, and less stress, he'd still be around. Maybe not.

But I'm not throwing up my hands and saying "why bother to maintain healthy habits when I see what happened to him?" There's so much crap we CAN'T control (both in our bodies and external factors), that we need to do all we reasonably can that will only help our chances of living a long and healthy life.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in CA on vacation last year, I asked my friends where the bars were that I could smoke at. I only went to those rogue establishments. In CA, you can eat/smoke on the patios outside of the restaurant, but that's tougher here for several months.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11219
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, this is what society is coming to! New York is proposing a ban on using electronic devices while using crosswalks. Our freedoms are slowly being taken away one by one, right under our noses.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ technology/10953636/detail.htm l

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There would be

in office buildings.

In Blue Cross and Blue Shield.

In the streets.

And

In the Teacher's lounge.

So the best you can do is quit smoking while you have the chance. For we will become a SMOKE FREE NATION.

And by the way.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gov supports a ban on smoking but will she support rescinding the tax revenue it generates? How can something be legal and illegal at the same time? When it generates about a billion dollars in revenue. They want it legal to buy them and pay the taxes on them but illegal to smoke them. That's ridiculous. The government should pick ONE, allowing smoking and collect their billion or ban smoking and collect zero.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.