Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Possible Quicken loan information leak :-) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This find actually comes from Detwaa84 on urbanplanet.org, I wont try and take the credit.

1 Go to the rossetti website,
2 Click on "Markets"
3 Click on "Work"
4 Scroll through the projects until you come upon "Urban Corporate Schemes"
5 Click the "more info" link, and view the images.

enjoy

http://www.rossetti.com/

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

t

I'm not sure this means anything. It says master planning...which is pretty vague. We already know they were/are thinking of moving downtown...no big news there.

Quinn

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also...the sketch is fairly undeveloped...and kinda ugly at this point.

Having said that...this looks like it would be grand circus park. Anyone else with ideas on location for this sketch?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gawd I hate flash websites...I remember back in the day before flash when the Internet used to be fast : )

Anyways, enough of that...

That's interesting but I guess it's not really much of a leak...we already know Quicken is or at least was considering building downtown...

the fact that they employed a firm like Rosetti to identify possible sites and sketch some ideas should be expected...

btw, the second photo there reminds me a lot of the Monarch that was supposed to get built in Troy...the first one kind of looks like the Compuware building

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Four Seasons in Detroit? That would be big.

Thejesus

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn can you post the second photo too?

Thejesus

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, that site talks about a phase II of the compuware building that will increase the square footage by about 1/3...

does anyone know anything about this? I didn't know there plans to explan that building

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not be too optimistic...the description does use the past tense... " When a prominent financial services CONSIDERED moving it's headquarters to Detroit..." Does mean that they have considered and rejected??? Also, the mixed use nature and height of the development point to the Woodward Block as what was considered.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TheJesus,
There are not plans right now to expand that building. However, the building was designed to accommodate an expansion if one was ever needed. This would allow it to be quickly expanded and at little cost because all the design work was done. If Compuware ever goes through a growth spurt and needs more space it would be able to quickly fill those needs.

Quinn

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old news from a long time ago - If growth allowed, phase II was to be a build out of the rear portion of the current structure. Then if things really took off, phase III was to include development of the parking lot on Broadway next to the Lafer.

With the recent changes to Broadway, I hope/doubt this lot is being held for them any longer.

Quinn

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to chime in here on the whole Quicken thing.

I think it's gross that they built up so much hype over moving downtown, and have hedged and scrambled around the topic now for over a year. It takes a conscious effort to get the press they did a while back about a possible move downtown (believe me...the pr people were pushing those stories...remember we don't have a real local press...only pr and ap/upi front-men hahaha).

So one of the reasons they did this is to guage community reaction.

Can you imagine a more powerful outcry of support than Detroiter's gave that notion? I can't.

So now, after a year or two of hemmin' and hawin', basically toying with us like a girlfriend who doesn't have the guts to officially break up with us, here we are looking around for any scraps of info, snooping and hoping...for ever hoping...GEESH!

It's cruel I think...I wish Quicken would just "Break Up" with downtown detroit already. Let us heal and move on. I call it tough love...but at least we wouldn't be in this guessing-game fog.

Sh@# or get of the pot.

(thanks Gramma for that saying)

Sorry...rant over.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's cruel I think...I wish Quicken would just "Break Up" with downtown detroit already. Let us heal and move on. I call it tough love...but at least we wouldn't be in this guessing-game fog.

Obviously, you are not on a need-to-know basis. Why should Rock care even one iota about whether you know anything or not?

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason they put the idea out there was to see what kind of deal (tax breaks) they could get from the city, the suburbs, and Cleveland. They are entitled to use the PR for future negotiations, which is exactly what they are doing. BTW, don't expect this decision to be made during the NBA season...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 966
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rossetti-the firm that gave us the 70's Washington Blvd. mess.

Thejesus

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Obviously, you are not on a need-to-know basis. Why should Rock care even one iota about whether you know anything or not?"

Apparently Dan Gilbert is supposed to make a decision overnight on something that will have a huge effect on the future of his life's work in order to appease the locals...

seriously, there's a reason he is where he is in life and many of you are where you are...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if Rock moves to Cleveland, what's to stop them from keeping a regional office in Metro Detroit for those who'd rather stay? Real estate and moving are not rocket sciences.

It's not always black or white in Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, you're comment is nonsensical.

I'm not on a need-to-know basis? I don't feel I need to know anything. I just don't like being toyed around with...and I feel like we're all being played.

Look at how we're all wishing and hoping and praying and spending an AWFUL amount of our energy into guessing when, where, what QuickenLoans is going to move, buy or build.

Your comment about why should Rock care one iota about what I know says it all. They've taken PR gold and turned it into a semi-sweet smelling pile of poop.

Moving, maybe not moving, testing out a few people to see if they like it, silence, maybe moving, here's a rendition of what we could possible do, oh hey we might move to Cleveland, oh hey we need more time to think we've only had three years, we might move, now we might not.

GEESH! Enough already! get some cajones and make a decision. Take a page from Karmanos.

The time solid "rock financial - like" rumors began about Karmanos/Compuware and his announcement was months...not years.

If Dan Gilbert came out right now and said they were moving, we'd all say "Awesome!" Then secretly say on here and in each other's ears...is it really gonna happen?

It's just so wishy washy.

Sorry for another rant.

As Elizabeth Taylor said, "Now is the time for guts, and guile." Step it up QL/RF/GILBERT.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8262
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real estate market coupled with a level of uncertainty on the feds direction with interest rates plays a lot in to the direction Rock as a business will take.

It makes sense for them to wait to see how the housing/refi market turns.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3600
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care much for the designs.

What is it with architects these days? Everybody talks "innovative"... and yet they all produce designs with that same curved "carport" roof!

Go figure?

The Compuware HQ was built without the carport (but it was in the original design), but the GM/UAW Center on the riverfront has one...

Quinn

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I agree. Innovation is not a box with a curved carport roof placed at a jaunty angle.

Gistok

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, I still think that your Photoshop view of the Statler block pic with the NYC Woolwoorth Building on it, is the best for that location!

Especially when the tower portion of the building soars to 792 ft.! :-)

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prolly old news but cant recall. 500 jobs that Detroit didnt really lose(just didnt gain?)? still, the right thing to do at this point is a downtown Detroit location for sure.

http://www.quickenloans.com/ab out/press_room/news_releases/a rizona-location.html

Thejesus

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it might be a good thing to do for the people of the city, but why do you think it's the "right" thing to do for the business?

Quinn

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd argue:

1. They are outgrowing their current headquarters.
2. They need to build a parking garage at their current headquarters already to cope with parking. Right now they're busing people in from another lot.
3. This is an opportunity to build a large building, large enough to grow in (with parking to boot)
4. Construction is cheap now...no building boom here...people are looking for work.
5. Land is basically free here now. In many years after our comeback, the property would be worth alot more.
6. Taxbreaks from city and state (not sure about those but they have to be a part of the deal somewhere).

Aside from those basic reasons is this: They have an exceptional opportunity to increase their profile as a community leader. Irrespectful of suburban feelings about working in Detroit, everyone likes to support the city. This would be a boon for their local image, perhaps an image tarnished lately by the creepy eight hundred three three three rock commercials. (ahem...I had to get that one in there) haha.

Quinn

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I've lost like 90% of all the graphics I've posted...where is that?

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boo to them and their crappy empty southfield office tower
they already designed compuware
why bother to do it again

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flickr user CriticalOne has posted the concept design along with some Greektown renderings.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quinn, you did not show the full render.

render

Gistok

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn it was in a Statler Block redevelopment thread.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here ya go, quinn. nice job, i hadn't seen that before now.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/73597.html?1149172 727

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.