Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld - Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11218
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran across this documentary by the BBC on Youtube.com. I have placed all three parts on one page to make them easier to view. The documentary focuses mostly on the American auto industry, but also tosses in a lot of Detroit history. It seems to have been made in the late 1990's. I love the fact that you see actual street racing in the video. You'd NEVER see an American documentary include such illegal activities unless it was some undercover investigation to bust up a drag racing ring. Set aside about 30 minutes to view all three parts.

http://sof8mile.blogspot.com/2 007/02/jeremy-clarksons-motorw orld-detroit.html

I also found some footage recently uploaded from the 1988 Detroit Grand Prix when it was raced on the streets downtown. The view is from inside the cockpit of one of the cars, sweet as hell footage...right up until he crashes.

http://sof8mile.blogspot.com/2 007/02/1988-detroit-grand-prix .html

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice links SS!!! I've only seen a couple of Jeremy Clarkson's shows, but I liked them quite a bit.

The Grand Prix vid brings back fond memories when I was in school and would go to Free Prix day. Even though it was only qualifing it still was exciting to watch. I do miss the Grand Prix.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11251
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I can't wait to watch the races on Belle Isle this summer, as I never saw them there, nor downtown Detroit. I'm not all that big of an open wheel racing fan, but when it comes to motorsports, I enjoy most anything.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F1 was great in the early 80's, they turbocharged the hell of those engines and they would make some fantastic sounds. You could pick a good spot on the end of a straightaway and hear the popping on deceleration, then the big rush when they hit the throttle after the turn. All that sound echoing off the buildings downtown. I'm glad it's back at Belle Isle, but it won't be the same.

Trust me , if you like racing you'll like the open wheel cars. Different flavor but just as fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.