Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » HELP! Looking for pics of Old cars or Emblems. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9203
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good friend of mine is looking for old photos of emblems and of the cars that were built in the early 20th century.
Mainly from these manfuacturers:

Packard, Hupp, Maxwell, Chalmers, Fletcher, Dodge Bros., The Canadian...

She is trying to find the vehicles mainly produced in Canada but I know that many vehicles built in the USA were exactly the same as the ones in Canada but they may have had a different nameplate.

Whether through other links or posted pictures here would would be appreciated.
Thanks

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AACA.org
packardclub.org
allpar.com

Goat

Post Number: 9207
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman.

Anyone else?

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my hobbies is photography.Over the years, my collection has included many shots of hood ornaments, and badges of classic cars.I have tried to post on this site, but have had no luck. It seems the size of the photo ( 4" x 6")causes a problem, or something that I can't figure out

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_p, see http://www.detroityes.com/0faq .htm#How_do_I_post_a_picture .

I hope to see some of your pics soon!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a free download for a simple program that I use to resize my images before uploading to this forum: http://www.irfanview.com/

cadillac

56packman

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg--thanks for the tip re: irfanview. I downloaded it, and am very pleased.

Dodche brodders emblem

C_p

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz and 56packman.
As I do not have a Master's degree in computer sciences, I have no idea of how these sites are supposed to help me. I know how to send a photo as an attachment, but am totally lost with these two sites.
On Detroit yes the very first thing it suggests is to "prepare my photo". What the hell does that mean?
Sorry to sound so "old school".

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many emblems in the OCF thread, you will have to page thru each page
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/78791.html?11695188 26

also, ebay is a good source for pics.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_P it's not the physical size of the original photo thats the problem. It's the electronic stored size once it's in the computer. Computer photos are measured by the number of pixels(Picture elements) used to render the photo on the screen and the size it takes up on the hard drive. so the picture needs to be less than 550 Pixels high and 550 pixels wide. The picture file also needs to be compressed to be less that 50k bytes in size.

Download the program at the site Mikg points to. Run the program. Open the picture file. Resize the scanned file to the limits stated on the document jimaz points to. Save the revised picture as a new picture. Upload the new picture according to the instructions jimaz points to.
(I haven't used the above program but I'm sure there are instructions built into it.)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C_p, we all had to learn at one time. You're not alone.

You might want to first practice with any old small jpg file that doesn't need to be prepared. Then you can skip down to the "Newbie Method:" in the link I supplied above. If you don't like the results you can immediately delete your post by clicking the X notepad icon in the upper right corner of the post.

I found the following public domain jpg at Wikimedia Commons. It wouldn't need any resizing. You could just save it to disk (right-click and Save Picture As...) then experiment with it.

Oswald hahmo

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 13, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a 1938 Nash for ya...
1938_nash

56packman

Post Number: 996
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet--that's a '47 or '48 Nash

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Nash steering wheel cap. I will try to post a picture of it soon.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, if your friend (or anyone else for that matter) would like to see a nice collection of emblems and hood ornaments in person, take a road trip to the Gilmore Car Museum. It's in Hickory Corners (quaint name, no?) which is northeast of Kalamazoo. I believe they have over 500 emblems/ornaments, in addition to all the cars. Unfortunately, they're closed for the winter but check out the web page http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.or g/

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56pm, o.k. it's a '48.But its yours now...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly the best way to get photos of vintage cars and emblems is to do it in person at the various museums, car shows, and cruise events. That way you can get the desired shot as well as know exactly what the item is. I take notes when I shoot my car and emblem photos so that I can label the photos later.

But if it is websites with images you are looking for, here are a few links that I've bookmarked:

http://www.1motormart.com/gall erya.htm

http://www.emblemagic.com/TOC. htm

http://www.carnut.com/photo/li st/list.html

Goat

Post Number: 9215
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all very much.
The person is doing murals for the city on numerous buildings to showcase the heritage of Windsor.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a search for car badges and Smithsonian, they've an online exhibit of them. I had a link to it, but I haven't been able to find it.

C_p

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with showing some pics, but I have no idea what these sites are showing me. Is there not a simple way to do something as minor as sending a photo to this discussion site thread. I cannot percieve what is so complicated about posting a couple of photos.
Thanks to Kathleen, those are excellent sites.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one for ya...http://farm1.static.flickr.com /157/393205285_683e4febf2_b.jp g lol

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, C_p, you're welcome. And welcome to the Forum.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.