Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/news/thousands_lose_jobs_as_ michigan

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad and ironic, but makes sense. The last couple of times I needed Unemployment, I did the forms on the Internet. The article is misleading. The Agency did not go away, their website is still active on the mich.gov website:

http://www.michigan.gov/uia/0, 1607,7-118-26831---,00.html

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's The Onion. It's fiction.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a couple of the writers are Michiganders because they always have stories that take place Michigan, and not just the bog cities...I've seen stories involving Livonia, Royal Oak and Wixom in the past

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U.S. Government may eventually have to step in and assist the state of MI. Don't hope for too much. Look what they've done for Louisiana. Does the U.S. govt even care about the future of MI?

Receivership for the city of Detroit was a topic of discussion for a long time, but how could a broke and dysfunctional state even take care of Detroit. Quite a mess...

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny!!!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, honestly right now, many things do seem to be going rather well for Detroit surprisingly. I would argue now that things are looking more up in this one-state recession for Detroit than during the economic upswing of the 90s where Detroit continued stagnant.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that Charlottepaul? I have some ideas. More recent economic upswings seem to profit the wealthy only. Part of that "fleecing of America" thing. Besides whatever trickle down effects there may or may not be, it doesn't really help Detroit to have a .com boom. So things do seem to be looking up, a lot has happened in the last 10 years. But why? Why is so much happening now, when all you hear or read is how much this state is suffering?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thought: Did Dennis Archer have a lot to do with this? Seems to me a lot of what is going on now may have had its roots planted in the Archer administration. OR perhaps it was more the END of the Young administration.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I always sort of wondered why Detroit was down in the 90s when the economy was doing well and now it is on its way up when the state's economy is doing rather poorly. I'm not an economist and it seems to defy logical explanations. I think that Detroit's 'boom' at least in the downtown area is really quite different from a .com boom. In my opinion it is the numerous tax credits, low interest loans and grants that have helped many of the downtown projects to come to life. They were pretty much not utilized in any previous time period in Detroit. Incentives for doing something that one would not otherwise do, is what our market economy requires. I am not a big fan of former Mayor Young, but then again I was hardly even born when he was in the heart of his reign. The most recent mayoral debates that I got to see was the recent one between Kwame K. and Freeman H. Mr. Hendrix came and spoke at the University of Detroit Mercy when he was in the early days of his campaign. I basically agreed with everything that he had to say except one thing. He suggested that the city needed to concentrate on the neighborhoods. While no one would disagree with that, one must choose some place to start. Downtown in my opinion was a great place to start. I would have been much more likely to support Kwame for his continuing endeavors in the center city than Hendrix solely for that reason. I’m not really sure where I am going with these comments except to say that I lean to the right, but am a big fan of Kilpatrick. I’m not as familiar with mayors of the past and the past is the past. Sure Archer is responsible for the beginnings of turning the downtown around, but I fell Kwame did an excellent job following through.

Cambrian

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people in Detroit were doing better in the late 90s and early 00s then now. Employment was up, crime was down.

Jacob_marley
Username: Jacob_marley

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State helping Detroit ... verses Detroit, the states largest city, helping the State by functioning as the economic engine that it should be ... is a strange loop ... a vicious cycle.
Detroit's woes are significantly why the State of Michigan is in the depth of trouble that it is ... and the effects of which, affect the entire region.

And people talking about a return to manufacturing sector strength is ludicrous.
It is not feasible to compete with overseas labor who can work for a few dollars a day ... it's all about the numbers - read'em and weep.
When China's Cherry (the automobile manufacturer) gets its act together and quality up there is going to be a godawful ugly bloodletting in this State.
I don't see a bottom for this economy anywhere.

Cambrian

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The impact of the China car makers is potentially quite scary. Over the years though other car makers with low cost products have tried to make in roads to our market with little success. Yugo, Fiat/ Lada and Renault are some of them. I saw the chinese cars at the basement of the auto show last month, I was not impressed.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw the chinese cars at the basement of the auto show last month, I was not impressed.

I didn't see it but I'm not surprised.

Every time something I own breaks, I try to fix it. If I can't, at least I learn something in the process.

Lately I've noticed that everything that's been failing was made in China. So when I went to buy a new DVD player recently, I specifically asked for one not made in China. The salesman said they're all made in China.

Some "free" market. Personally, I think someone is making a ton of money, perhaps in kickbacks, by steering manufacturing overseas against the wishes of consumers. That is the opposite of what is meant by a free market, IMHO.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.