Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Tunnels...Not just for Windsor! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! heres a question/info post. Maybe some of you could clarify some info i recieved, or link to areas where i could find more on the subject of the vast tunnel system of Detroit.

I work at The Henry Ford, and a gentleman there who was born, raised and still lives in Detroit, and worked for over 20+ years for MichCon, DTE and other electric and gas companies in Detroit only, told me of a early 20th century (1903-1908) brick-layed tunnel running from the Steam Generating plant off of Jefferson,near Zug Island and Fort Wayne all the way to the site of the current Gaurdian building that supplied many buildings in the CBD with steam heat. Mentioned alot of them weren't built with boilers for this reason. (Any truth there?) Said it still exists, great example of brick tunnels, but certain areas are half flooded.

Another tunnel he mentioned was one that ran from the old Lincoln Plant(?) on Warren and Livernois to Fort Wayne. Mentioned that Henry Ford (who was notorius for tunnels) had a 15 foot high by 14 ft wide narrow gauge railway tunnel installed to run Howitzers on flatbed railcars from the wartime Lincoln plant to the Fort Wayne Armoury. For secrecy he supposed and to not tie up freight lines. Apparently he heard from an old timer there, that the tunnel itself was completed in 8 months in 1942 with over 400 men. He was in it about 10 years ago as Detroit Edison has a sub station on the plant property, and many flatbed railcars still sit on the tracks. He said now it's used mainly for buried cables and other telecomm.

Also mentioned about the infamous Detroit Subway system. I have heard some whisperings about it in the past and was on a site that delved into it. (anyone know the link?) Said the "hub" was in a building next to the Gaurdian or Penobscot and had 4 rough tunnels dug out. 2 were parallel with Jefferson and the other Mich. Ave. Didn't mention if the "hub" was styled at all, or like the famous City Hall station in New York.

If anyone could shed some further light on these tunnels or provide areas where further info can be had i would be very appreciative. (Anyone know of other big ones?)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you talking about? We have a subway. Here's a picture of the entrance to the M1 line outside of the federal courthouse...

Those people are sooo typical of us ugly detroiters. Wish we would get some decent looking people to move down here...

d

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1-Detroit Thermal is probably what you are looking for in regards to the first tunnel system that you describe. They do have a network of them under the city (as most cities do) that provided (and generally still does)heat for downtown buildings. http://www.detroitthermal.com/

2-Not sure

3-How new are you to Detroit?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford had a tunnel that ran from the Manufacturer's Bank that stood on the SE corner of Woodward and Manchester to the Model T Plant on the other side of Manchester which securely delivered payroll cash back in the day when they paid in cash. No electronic transfers to accounts then.

Those other tunnels that korridorkid mentions are dramatic. I'll be interested to learn more abut them.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte-Thanks for the info on Detroit Thermal, I wonder how many others there are and if they link up at all?-seems like a massive system.

And I've lived in the corridor for 21 wonderful years.

Lowell-I'll try to find some more info on the railway tunnel. I'll let you know. My guess is it ran right underneath Livernois to Dragoon and into the Armoury.

*forgot to mention that the railway tunnel was mentioned to be about 20 feet below street level at ceiling height.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8286
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard from a few people about the subway exploration, many of these tunnels are not documented...from what I heard from one DTE guy.

That is not uncommon, when Chicago had their tunnel emergency about five or so years ago...that fire...they had a devil of a time charting what they had underground.

I guess Miss Dig was off that day...

I'D like to tunnel somewhere. Wouldn't mind joining a Detroit Urban Archaeology group...not Spelunkers, but those who watch construction sites to make sure they aren't uncovering anything juicy from our past.

WHICH intersection was that again where they found a speakeasy room fed by three tunnels to the buildings on each corner? Don't think Miss Dig had that one in her records, either.

STILL cannot get that story from the fellow at the Shores Inn who told me his family owned a factory site near the Capuchin Mission...and they had to cap off the site of the old boiler on the EPAs instruction...when they went down in the tunnels before the cement poured they found a cache of Purple Gang-era machine guns (and probably some other valuables) in a hidden room.

Gannon

Post Number: 8287
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, K'Kid.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What WAS the name of that sci-fi movie they filmed downtown? Did it ever come out?

Gannon

Post Number: 8302
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Island, it is already on DVD!

Great allegories within...it is a must-see.

Fun to see how they futurized the skyline...MOST people do not realize some of it was filmed here.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of tunnels in Grosse Pointe. A couple of years ago I remember looking at a capped off tunnel that ran between two houses near where Harvard ends. I know there was one that went from the main house to where that land sticks out into the lake too.

Gannon

Post Number: 8321
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think the most fun tunnel description was the one that ol' Hank the Once's evil henchman had from his Grosse Ile house to the fast boat launch...at least TWO pits that anyone chasing them would fall into.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that there could possibly be undocumented tunnels down there. It would be cool to do a survey for tunnels with ground-penetrating radar. The data might even prove useful for future construction.

Gannon

Post Number: 8324
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so sure Mother Nature likes being penetrated without consent...even with EM waves and fields.

She didn't respond well to that ELF project, the Schumann resonance is now at 12Hz, after lingering at 7.8 for a century or so...because Schumann didn't discover it, Tesla did.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I had to look up Schumann resonance.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems related: Drilling is a test for new bridge.
quote:

Last week, the Michigan Department of Transportation began drilling 14 holes to go as deep as 1,700 feet near River Rouge's Zug Island and between Historic Ft. Wayne and the Mistersky power plant to examine the bedrock, spokesman Bill Schreck said. This part of the bridge project is to cost $11.3 million.

The area is home to one of the world's largest salt deposits and brine wells, and was mined between the 1880s and 1950s. The mining formed underground caverns, Detroit River International Crossing officials said, and cavities near a bridge site could make the ground too unstable.

Gannon

Post Number: 8325
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, that was from my October or November sleep-learning adventures.

Learned then that the anxieties, ticks, depressions and the like that are becoming epidemic are very likely simple herd stress.

Ever wonder why and how animals are able to avert natural tragedy...like the Tsunami and earthquakes? They trust their sixth sense, the electro-magnetic transductance that science has PROVEN exists in the human machine as well.

It moves the ducks south, shows the fish where to swim back to their spawning ground...explains the horrible bird die-offs around broadcast antennae...among VERY many other phenomenon. ALL research in the past fifty years into this has been declared TOP SECRET, but I found one medical study that snuck through. If anyone can search out the Journal of Neurological Sciences publication of 'Frequency-specific responses in the human brain caused by electromagnetic fields', it makes for some VERY interesting reading.

All of our perceptions are from TRANSDUCTANCE, the changing of energy from one state to another. The eyes do it with various limited frequencies of light, the ears with sound and so on.

As I've said before, waking with precise terms in my head to look up on the Internet that turn out to be real concepts...has been quite troubling to me, but it has now recurred precisely four times in four months. I simply cannot wait for the next new moon.

WE westerners however, have spent the last hundred years or so removing ourselves from nature, our connection with the planet with all its rhythms and cycles, and thusly limiting our very perception. My Livonia Friend (and old car hifi maniac, any Car Tunes customers probably know him) brought it to my attention one morning that we've been wearing more effective insulators than leather on our feet for a long while, too.

Horrible how they've removed the good stuff from natural foods in their quest for shelf life, and the lingering chemicals in the water supply KILL the available magnetically-aligned Pi-water component...that oddly the FDA wants you to NOT look closely at!!

I've been on my Pi water experiment for over two weeks now with GREAT success in curbing my depressive tendencies and cloudy head syndrome during the full moon. IF it is placebo, I'm going for it, they STILL don't know why THAT effect works!

NOW that the resonance of the planet is in the octave below what the mere human perceptual system can HEAR, it is very likely we are tapping into this excited state of the planet through both bone conductance AND this EM sensitivity.

Luckily for most of us, a layer of clay and soil (at least) separates us from the bedrock, so it isn't as physically noticable. This springtime, I will be doing a series of experiments here in Detroit regarding this phenomenon, since we sit on a large plug of salt...and have MANY high-rises built without the seismic de-coupling common to modern skyscrapers.

I recently heard of some strange vibration in Taos NM, and I'm fairly certain this is the same thing. They are pretty much on bedrock in the mountains...and the geometry of those upright deserts might even amplify this rising frequency. There is GREAT evidence that the other spiritual centers have curious geological features...and the Pi water explains the mythical swirling waters of healing that have been in human history since time-out-of-mind

I had a few very spiritual experiences recently in Taos which dovetail with these other findings. Powerful stuff, undeniably beyond description, expectation, or understanding.

Tesla not only was able to make the planet resonate, he proved it conducted like a single wire...ground is NOT ground, and I now need to play with some high current diodes in my better hifi installations to see if there is any benefit to isolating ground to be ONE way!

(Message edited by Gannon on February 11, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8326
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The area is home to one of the world's largest salt deposits and brine wells, and was mined between the 1880s and 1950s. The mining formed underground caverns, Detroit River International Crossing officials said, and cavities near a bridge site could make the ground too unstable.

Now wouldn't THAT be Maroun's karmic whiplash!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11239
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...DUDE...you need some meds or something.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome Gannon. Much appreciated.

Where does one find Pi Water?

(Message edited by KorridorKid on February 11, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8328
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Sport,

I'm out, can you hook a brutha up?!

You either buy the filter from the Japanese scientist who stumbled upon it while chasing after the perfect rose, or MAKE a separator with instructions from www.subtleenergies.com .

I considered the Ormus wildness confirmation from a second source that something is curious about this treatment.

It will make little difference if you are not already cleansed of the crap you've been fed from the food industry...and apparently having an open spiritual outlook helps loads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.