Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » UDM B-Ball Homecoming Today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDM hosts the UIC Flames today at 4pm in Calihan Hall. Support the REAL Deeeetroit Basketball!

http://www.detroittitans.com/m basketball.jsp?id=117103199007 0

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Titans. If they get hot now, a tournament bid could still happen (if they win the league). I'd love to see UM-MSU-UD all in the tournament, but right now they ALL have tons of work to do and this might not be the year for any of them.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of UD basketball, I was looking at DeBusschere's stats the other day and it states that he went to Austin Catholic.
Can someone tell me where this school was located? Thanks.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the northeast side just west of where Warren meets Mack, between those two streets, north of Grosse Pointe Farms. Currently there is a St. John outpatient facility there.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, most of Austin was used in the construction of the hospital.

Austin closed in 1977.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Alma Mater! Go Titans!! Go UDM!!!

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin sat empty for awhile before becoming WC3, or Wayne County Community. I believe it was the mid80s when the building was retrofitted to become a St. John assisted/nursing home.

Went to many UD games in the late 70s. Remember Terry Duerod? (spelling)

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pride of Highland Park High, Terry Duerod was no joke. He could (and did) light 'em up all the time. Played at U-D in the days when the Titans still featured some of metro Detroit's best high school ballers. He managed to last 4 years in the NBA with the Pistons, Celtics, Mavs, and Warriors. Last I heard, he was/is a Detroit firefighter.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 609
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.databasebasketball. com/players/bycollege.htm?sch= University+of+Detroit+Mercy

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as fortune would have it, Terry Duerod is one of several special guests at a wine tasting fundraiser being held Sunday 2/18. Scheduled to attend are: Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, Tony Tolbert, Antoine Joubert, Bill Wood, John Buszka, and radio play by play man Matt Dery.

http://www.detroittitanhoops.c om/Flyer1bf.pdf

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere in my collection of photos I have a 5 x 7 of several UDM players in action vs. EMU back in probably late 70s in a game at Bowen Fieldhouse (which is where EMU played before moving to the Convocation Center).

Believe it is Terry Tyler or John Long. They have their back to me as I was taking photographs from the sideline.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave DeBusschere was also a St. Clare of Montefalco alumnus, one of 6 or so athletes out of St. Clare that went on to play professional sports!!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that one of those St. Clare alums was also Mike Peplowski who played at MSU and briefly for a few teams in the NBA and another was Chris Godfrey who played in the Super Bowl for the New York Giants. Who were the others?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.