Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Urban Resettlers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a party a couple years back and during small talk someone asked where I lived. I replied Detroit, and tried to explain to him why. He hit me up with the "usual" Detroit comments (dangerous, ghetto, etc...). He then said you are one of those "urban resettlers".

I grew up in a suburban/rural area of Michigan. Does anyone else feel like they fit this classification?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an insulting term.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm from Clinton Township so i guess so

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we moved back to the D from AA/Ypsi in the early 80's we were refered to as "Urban Pioneers" by friends and others. Was not insulted then nor now.

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't/don't take comments like these as an insult. I just feel like I'm part of a generation that found out that the suburbs are not that great of a place. The name for Hall road should be named to hell road.
Hearing stories from "our" parents/grandparents about city living inspired "us" to move back to the cities and not depend entirely on automobiles, enjoy walkable communities, and enjoy the many aspects of city living.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion, Homer and Yeloweyes, when people refer to you as an "urban resettler" or as an "urban pioneer," there is most likely no disrespect directed toward you. The disrespect, perhaps unintended, is to the people who have held on and kept up their homes and neighborhoods for years and years. Phrases such as those imply that the newcomer is there to save the neighborhood or the city rather than join in and work with the long time residents of the city.

As for me, I certainly welcome newcomers and returnees to Detroit! The more taxpayers, the better. The more voices demanding quality goods and services for our neighborhoods, the better. I believe we can all bring our own ideas and talents to the table to work toward our collective betterment.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban resettler? I'm not sure that it fits, but it doesn't insult me. Here’s a few thoughts…

I was raised in a small town in mid-michigan. My parents were older and definitely scared of Detroit. My father was raised in the city, then his family moved out to Walled Lake when he was 15 where he met my mom. According to her, he was a bad-a$$ and a bully, and according to him, Detroit was a dump being overridden with...well he was horribly racist...and he and his family were just a bunch of podunk awful people (ok that's me talking. Issues obviously)

I was forbidden to come to Detroit while growing up by my dad, my parents wouldn't even come as close as Novi. One time, my mom and I lied so I could go to a Tiger's game with a neighbor and his family.

It may be that kids react in an opposing manner to anything their parents say...and if that's the case then I'm glad of it. I always wanted to move to Detroit, live downtown, get really "urban" and make as many black, latino, asian friends as I possibly could. There was a lot I was missing out on where I grew up…

I truly have the feeling that my parent's views were shared by the majority of our town and neighborhood, their friends and our extended family. My brother drank the cool aid and is still out there.

My point is, I think the resettlement of Detroit is unique in that way...mainly younger people who were told Detroit was horrible and chose not to believe it. And in that regard...yes maybe we are urban resettlers.

It may be something that my friends who, while equally and in many cases more dedicated to Detroit than I, have immigrated here for jobs from other places across the country may not understand.

I think many people are here not only because it’s a great investment and the communities are cool...for them it's a statement, testament or reaction to growing up in this crazy SE Michigan environment. I know that’s a significant part of my participation in this joy ride.

Not to continue blabbing...but compare current "urban resettlers" in Chicago with us. From the friends I know there, and other extended friendships/acquaintances, it's a much broader spectrum of age, race, etc. that's repopulating that town.

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was my Grandmother's reaction when I told her I was moving to Detroit (in 2000).

"Detroit? Isn't it all boarded up?"

I just laughed.

My aunt asked; "You're not picking up hookers are you?"

I replied: "Only on Tuesdays because of the discount".

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 961
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey my grandparents were thrilled when I bought my house in Detroit, its only two blocks away from them, and only about a mile from where I was raised.

Some of us never left.

Quinn

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I brought my aunt Roberta "Bunnie" here for a visit in 1993. When the guy lit the saganaki at Pegasus she screached and jumped out of the booth.

"I thought they were blowing us up! You be carefull here...it's very dangerous."

It was also fortunate that a homeless man peed right at her in the old Greek Town alley parking lot. He didn't get her, but the effect was priceless.

Ahhh...memories.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title "urban re-settler" sounds somewhat honorable to me.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since moving to SoCal four years ago after fifty years in Detroit I sometimes find myself saying "Detroit, Detroit" when asked if lived in City of or suburbs.

Of course, if you were or are a resident of City of you "stay in Detroit," as opposed to "live in."

"Detroit, Detroit" seems to sum it up if you live in City of.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im searching for a place now. I currently reside in Ferndale which is centrally located, but am interested in lower rent. Im not sure I would want to raise a family in some of the neighborhoods the apartments are in, but would be acceptable for a single man. I enjoy the history and architecture of the city but am not offended by criticisms as they are justified. I agree with Patrick the term urban resettler is honourable.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8310
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno if I want to be associated with 'settling'.

Sounds too...compromising.

Can we be urban UNsettlers?! THAT is much more accurate.

You should SEE the reactions from my neighbors when I go out jogging.

Just got another at that Beer&Wine store on Jefferson just outside the CBD, a fellow was joking with a young doctor who rushed in before his shift to buy a twelve-pack for when he got off work...then turned to me and said, "You must be far from home, too."

He was very unsettled when I took two gentle steps towards him, smiled, and said "yeah, about a mile, I usually walk it".

We are SO unsettling to those who chose to stay, or never had the chance to leave...I just hope against hope that most of us learn to honor the HIGHEST those who endured this city during its worst years...because those times are BEHIND us, now, as long as we can find a way to work together!

Cheers!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11241
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck all these cliches to describe those who move to Detroit. You aren't/weren't an urban pioneer unless you moved here over 300 years ago and were among the first EVER to settle here.

You are not a RE-settler either, as Detroit was only settled one time in history. The population has peaked and dwindled, but the city was never abandoned completely and left for dead. Nobody was the last one out and turned off the lights (insert street light joke here)

If you are white, you are not among the first whites to move back, as the most recent census had around 100,000 whites still in the city, most who had never left.

I wonder, are those who move to the sprawling communities such as Novi, Canton, and others way out considered Suburban Pioneers? Farm land gentrifiers? Are those who move to Ferndale, Royal Oak, and other cool/hip communities simply trend or fad followers?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you are white, you are not among the first whites to move back, as the most recent census had around 100,000 whites still in the city, most who had never left.

Sport people have argued with me that there are no white people in Detroit for several years now. One white guy (from St. Clair shores) told me how he was downtown one time, and how "THEY" (Black people) just started looking at him because he was the only white guy down there.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Sport pointed out, the place has been settled for a long time. There were ALREADY people here 300 years ago, as a history of deed transfers of my property shows...
Resettlement is possible only if a place has been completely abandoned, examples being Fayette in the U.P., Chernobyl in the Ukraine, or the extreme northern Marianas Islands in Micronesia.
Of course, if anyone wants do dress up like Ma and Pa Ingalls, and build their cabin somewhere on the east side, living off the land and such, one might be tempted to use the term "resettlers".
Otherwise, it's inaccurate at best.

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

URBAN resettler is referring to people who are deciding to move into a city that once lived outside the city, especially when recent trends are people to moving out of the city.

Urban = City
Settle = To stop moving or stay.
Re = To do again.

I don't see what is wrong with the term. I feel it is accurate for some folks.

Quinn

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the attitude and cursing supersport? I've gotten over he fact that you live in Novi, yet consider yourself an expert on everything Detroit long ago. To each his own.

If you want to be considered a suburban pioneer...more power to you. I am waving my glitter wand at this very moment...and...yes...poof. You're a Suburban Pioneer.

Congratulations.

Quinn

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport: "You aren't/weren't an urban pioneer unless you moved here over 300 years ago and were among the first EVER to settle here."

Actually...I don't think there was much urbanity here 300 years ago. You were probably considered, simply, a pioneer. Or a settler.

I find your condescension to people who've moved into the city a bit disturbing. Yes I live in a great neighborhood now, but for years I lived in lofts and apartments that weren't in great neighborhoods or considered trendy or cool. And still...I'm talking a risk here...a huge one. There really is something to be said about putting your money where your mouth is and taking a chance on something.

Like I said, you're proud of where you live. Why can't you just let us be proud of where we live and what we're doing?

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does one have to actually phyiscally live within the Detroit City Limits to be considered a Detroiter per these Forums...???

This is I think a question that Lowell might have to be the one to give a definitive answer.

regards

Quinn

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...or you OUT!

klum

Supersport

Post Number: 11242
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's with the attitude and cursing supersport? I've gotten over he fact that you live in Novi, yet consider yourself an expert on everything Detroit long ago. To each his own.

Still hittin' that crack pipe, eh Quinn?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does one have to actually phyiscally live within the Detroit City Limits to be considered a Detroiter per these Forums...???

Pretty much. If you live in the suburbs, many Detroiters on this forum will tell you that you have no validity as a human being.

Quinn

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...cursing and slander. Hittin' all cylinders today aren't you supersport.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The term sucks. It reeks of arrogance and is disrespectful to longtime residents of the city by its implication that outsiders are coming back to make some kind of rescue. Move to the city, or don't. But if you do, just go about your business and make this place your home. Engage the people who are already here. Make the place better if you can. Leave the savior attitudes behind.

Supersport

Post Number: 11243
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hmmm...cursing and slander.

Hey, you started the slander by suggesting I lived in Novi. Plus, you still owe me a damn beer for showing up at the Town Pump that time...though you had yet to arrive. Yeah, that's right, I don't forget when somebody owes me a beer. beeeyotch!

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if Detroit has urban prairies, urban settler or re-settler could apply. But you might have to be settling on the prairie.

Quinn

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've said all along you live in Novi. Be proud of it...stop embarrassing yourself.

If I'm wrong supersport...what area of SE Michigan do you currently reside in?

I wouldn't buy you a beer, although sounds like you're drinking now. What the hell are you talking about?

Swingline...I believe we're talking about the term resettler. How is that arrogant? Urban Pioneer...I totally get you point there...that to me is ridiculous and arrogant.

I doubt my friends in University District who've lived there for 50 years and raised kids, etc. would be offended at me calling myself a resettler.

I love how these innocent topics get crazy like this...we're just discussing the phenomenon of urban growth and how it is different in Detroit.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's a little bit insulting to the people that are already there.

The term infers that you are the first to settle the area, and that there is nobody else there, and now that YOU have showed up, there is indeed someone present.

Everyone else doesn't count I guess.

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Quinn, how did this become a yelling match?

The point of this thread was that there is a generation of people who's parents moved out of the cities and into the burbs. Now their children (who find the suburbs bland & boring) have moved back to the cities for many reasons, thus RE-settlers.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clear things up, I don't know Supersport, but as far as I understand he lives in the city of Detroit. I believe he works or worked in Novi, which would possibly explain the Novi confusion.

Anyhow, I basically have to agree with Quinn. If the term "Urban Resettler" is offensive, let's come up with a different term which has the same meaning. To me, I can see "Urban Pioneer" being a bit more offensive, with the word Pioneer implying that such a person is the first to arrive in an area. I'm not sure if "Settler" has quite the same meaning, and "Resettler" certainly doesn't, since it means that someone is coming back to an area they had previously left.

To object to the concept of an Urban Resettler is to deny the reality that a huge number of people moved out of the city of Detroit over the last 60 years, and that there is a (currently very small) trend among this group or their descendents to move back into the city. It's fair to describe someone in such a manner.

Archinnovator
Username: Archinnovator

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,
Very well put...I find that many of the most recent residents that have come to the city (in some of my personal experience) hope to be shown in a savior or pioneer-esque light. I can't concur enough with your recommendation to make the city your home and engage the people and places that are already there.

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Re-Flight

Dougw

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Quinn

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Side note...we talked about replacing the woodward/8mile bridge with a huge round-about. Would never happen, but we could then place a statue of Coleman in the center of the island with a sign saying, "Aloha, MotherFu$k3rs!" greeting people driving south.

I've been laughing about that for a few days.

Maybe it should say "Welcome back, MotherFu$k3rs!"

I hear and understand all of the banter from those of you upset by these new-starts coming in and acting like they are pioneers, and if it weren't for them we'd all die. I've caught myself thinking, "who do you think you are? You don't even remember the "Sharon you go girl campaign" from the early nineties or even the Hudsons struggle let alone the extreme hopelessness of the 80's."

That's not what this is about...I know those people can seem annoying with their fancy new ideas - n - all...but I'd suggest that at least they are re-settlers if they have a background like I do and grew up with the same notions of Detroit that were parlayed throughout the local media in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

It's about WHY some people choose to move here.

I say...welcome resettlers! People who act like Pioneers? Maybe change your attitude and respect the people who've kept the city alive for 50 years.

(I'm jealous of you guys's who've stuck around...take our neighbors for example who have a beautiful home they've restored and pay little to no property tax because they bought for peanuts in the 50's. But it certainly took commitment and hard work. Bravo)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about gen-hip-rificators?

Quinn

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the "Detroit Saviors"

hahaha. JK

Supersport

Post Number: 11244
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just leave it at Urban Dwellers? It is what it is. Nothing is being resettled, as nothing was abandoned. Nothing is being Pioneered, so an Urban Pioneer has always seemed foolish to me. Why would I or others be offended by such terms? Because it ignores the fact that the city still had around 1 million people, though these new terms I hear applied seem to imply that nobody lived here.

We (those who have recently moved to Detroit) are not saviors. We are simply a group of people who have hope and see promise in Detroit. Anything beyond that seems like a pat on the back to give people that feel good satisfaction they seem to long for.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to the term citizens?

Quinn

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh...I fundamentally disagree with you SS. Detroit is a different creature. There are a million reasons NOT to move here. I congratulate you on your move and think that, because you are investing in Detroit and, lets face it, taking a risk, you have a greater stake and say in the city and what goes on.

What's wrong with saying that?

I hereby pat you on the back.

I do agree that there is a limit...we're not gods for moving here, and certainly are only a cog in the wheel.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After when you folks are through debating this topic you should start a thread debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Yelloweyes

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Nothing is being resettled, as nothing was abandoned"

Maybe the city was not abandoned as a whole, but to say Nothing was abandoned is false.

The middle class family has abandon the city over the past forty years. Not totally abandon.

This is the way I look at the word "SETTLE" in this sense.
Settle = to stay in one area for a long time.

Indians settled here 0ver 300 years ago.
Europeans Followed.
African Americans Followed
Europeans fled
Europeans are now REsettling???

Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

European repopulaters.

Sounds good to me.

Dougw

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban infillers?

Quinn

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dumpster Divers"

I'm so kidding...but laughing at some of the reactions I'll get.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.