Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Anyone know anything about a restaurant called Larco's Chophouse? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a long time lurker but newbie poster.

Anyways, I know this place is pretty knowledgable. Been trying to do research on an old Restaurant called Larco's Chophouse, but can't find much. It was fairley popular, so I'm assuming some of you people could probably provide some good info.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the original location was at W.Mc nichols and San Juan. They have a location in Troy.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the Detroit Lions used to eat there after their games.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_box called it right...Larco's was at McNichols and San Juan. It used to be a very classy restaurant. I used to pass by there 4 or 5 times a week as a kid. Like a lot of other places from the old 'hood, it's long gone and long torn down.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8304
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago, I did some work for them in their Troy location. Hung around them a bit, and got a good feel for the couple that own it.

Unfortunately, they are a wee outside my comfortable price range for standard dinner, and IF I'm doing anything special...that dining is usually in one of the swankier Detroit restaurants.

I endorse the people that own it, and wish them well. I have never heard a bad word about them or the way they run their operation.

They have outlasted a good many of their competitors, even the introduction of the national chain specialty restaurant endorsed by a certain conservative radio blowhard.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larcos has 2 locations one in Troy, another in West Bloomfield. The later is a bit cheaper, both are good. Other similar fare can be found at Lellis in Auburn Hills, Marios in Detroit, Morros in Lincoln Park, and the Andiamos.

Drbob7133
Username: Drbob7133

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ate my first king crab there at the six mile location over 55 years ago

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Lelli's still around?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lelli's, ( Lelli's Inn )which was on the East side of Woodward, north of The Blvd. closed,what, about about 5 years ago? Wonderful restaurant, with small Italian Christmas lights strung from the the low ceilings all year 'round. Intimate dining, small alcoves.Wonderful experience. A fine Italian restaurant like the Roma Cafe and, of course, Mario's. Mario's last name was also Lelli.
I assume the current Lelli's out in Auburn Hills is still a going concern.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Lelli's in Detroit was closed before 1996 because it was closed when I started at WSU. It was demolished a couple years later.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on Woodward, right?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lelli's was located on Woodward about 3 blocks north of Grand Blvd.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lelli's Auburn Hills location was open well before the Detroit location closed.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8286
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - Incorrect post deleted.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 615
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.lellisrestaurant.co m/

"Irene and Nerio Lelli first opened the Woodward location in 1939, where the original Filet Mignon with "Zip" Sauce became famous. Not to mention, all the other Homemade Italian Dishes & Recipes which were perfected within their lifetimes.

In 1996, we opened a second location in Auburn Hills on Opdyke. The restaurant is currently owned and operated by the second and third generations of the Lelli Family. Although an unfortunate fire claimed the Downtown location in February of 2000, the Lelli's commitment to serving Metro Detroit, as one of the finest Italian Restaurants, is stronger than Ever!"

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could be a little revisionist history, if I remember correctly it was closed before the fire...

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one on Opdyke doesn't compare to the original.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The food is close, but not the same. The character isn't even close.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.