Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Buscemi's Pizza « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always though Buscemi's had some of the best pizza. It was unique and tasty and each store was loaded with all sorts of pop and junk food. I used to go to the one on Gratiot just north of 8 mile near my old house. There is another one at 12 and Gratiot and one on Hoover. There is also one on Van Dyke and 18 and a former location at 14 and Schoenherr. Is it a franchise or is it family owned?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I gotta be Mr. Pink?

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Buscemi rules. I wish he owned the party stores.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Family/Franchise

my friends worked there on the Hall rd location. They were sick bastards

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to frequent the 8 Mile/Gratiot location, back in the early 70's. The pizza-- which was absolutely superb-- was known as "spingueni." (sp?) Never knew why. Never questioned it. Didn't care. Ate lots of it.

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tania's in royal oak beats all other pizza.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goombah's was better.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was family owned and operated but now franchized by the family as well as supplied from their warehouse on Gratiot.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Dinos pizza from the 60s/70's? I think there was a store on Mack in GPW. During the recent cold snap I stopped in a local pizza place on 12/hoover called Paulies , and found out its run by the son of the original Dinos chain.
He said they still use the original Dinos recipe. Its still as good as I remember.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 612
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louis's Pizza on Dequindre in Hazel Park is the best pie I've had and I'm tried damn near all of 'em.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4029
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louie's is pretty good so is the Green Lantern. I heard Aldo's on kelly made a good one too. east siders know pizza a lil better anyways!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does anyone remember Dinos pizza from the 60s/70's? I think there was a store on Mack in GPW

Ja1mz--that would be approx Roslyn & Mack, on the west side of the street, yes?

As I recall it, the ascendancy of Little Caesar's was their demise.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had Dino's At Schoolcraft and Patton on the west side (sorry eastsiders) before 96 ran through there.

Also there was the Italian Tavern a couple doors down from Quik Save drug store on Kelly Road they had some top notch pizza before they closed down.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say of all the newbies, I think "Blort" has the best name.

Welcome BLORT

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loui's is fantastic and most likely the best.

I went to East Detroit High School and ate at Buscemis many, many days! Great pizza, in the Spring we would buy pizza and hang out on the median on Gratiot and smoke certain "special" cigarettes.

My brother delivered for a Dino's on 9 Mile in Warren for probably 3 years - made pretty good money and we got free pizzas all the time. Whenever someone would call in a fake order and delivery was refused, the delivery guy got the pizza. Good times!

Kiplinger
Username: Kiplinger

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dino's and Red Devil were run by a family of brothers. I thought Dino's was bought out by Dominos.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup I think you're right Zephyrprocess..Mack and Rosyln..the owner of Little Paulies said the bigger chains use more Provolone than Mozzarella because of cost I guess...

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like Buscemi's-they also have a store in Troy on Rochester Road north of Big Beaver. Good stuffed peperoni rolls too! They used to make a good Italian sub the Torpedo.
Loved Dino's too used to have one Fenkell by Beaverland St.There is a Dino's Pizza in Dearborn at Outer Drive & Monroe.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj: My late brother worked at that Dinos on 9 Mile and Ryan for a couple of years too. I remember getting a lot of free pizzas! They were great pizzas!
Loui's in Hazel Park is very good, but I'm still a fan of the original Buddys on 6 and Conant.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks.

I also like pizza. I have been eating a lot of Jet's latly.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3624
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jet's is great pizza. Also Nona's on Harper near Allard in Harper Woods.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 447
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pizza Place on Ford Road in Dearborn, delivery and take out only, has really good pizza and chicken. Also, it's halal if that matters to you.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jets is the best that delivers to Corktown (that I'm aware). I called Happy's during the NFL playoffs for some ribs and pizza. I was sorely disappointed.

There's a Gelato <sp> (Italian Ice Cream) place in Dearborn and another in Royal Oak that's not too bad. Of course, eating that smooth textured ice cream while you wait sure doesn't hurt.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simple Miracles Downtown is awesome!

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simple Miracles, i concur. Randolph/Farmer, Can't beat their prices, probably the best value Downtown.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you took a bite of every pizza in the world #1 would be Buscemi's!

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that jingle...something like "I'm a pizza taster and I oughta know!" went with it.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if anyone knows this, but there's a Buscemi's on Kercheval in Grosse Pointe Park about 3 blocks east of Alter. They're good-their subs and garlic bread are 2 die 4, but Mr.C's wipes 'em out hands down! Didja know that the Red Devil recently reopened? But it's under new management-I gotta check it out 1 day. But Buscemi's is 1 of the few pizza joints where u can still get $1 Snapples-rare, ain't it?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jets is the best that delivers to Corktown (that I'm aware).

Have you tried Detroit Pizza Factory, Paul's Pizza, Sicily's, Amicci's, etc.?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11271
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're all on crack, Little Caesars is the best! $5 hot and ready!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We tried a Jet's "8-corner" pizza recently. The crust had just the right amount of crispiness.

We were considering trying Sorrento's on Van Dyke in Utica. I think it's been there for a long time, since the 60s? Are there any opinions about Sorrento's?

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hall Road and Hiedenrich- Buscemis pizza
19 Mile and Garfield- Buscemis pizza
22 Mile and Hayes- Buscemis pizza

And yes, Louis Pizza is the best.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buscemi's is an east side institution, great as always. A late friend was a nephew of the founder and worked there for years.

Carlo's Pizza (another eastside institution) is some great pie too. Rumor is that Carlo is the uncle of "Papa John" who is supposedly from the metro area.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Buscemi owns a lot of franchised convenient stores and pizza bars throughout Macomb County cities. One the proud Italian family businesses in Metro Detroit areas.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red Devil re-opened? At the old locale?

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was a Wizard I would turn you all in to muppets and control all of you from my living room with my XBOX.
Best pizza is NIKIS Greek town.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been eating Sorrento's for a long time! (about 12 years or so...) I have always enjoyed their pizza and was the only pizza that was brought into my house while I was growing up. Try their bread sticks with the pizza sauce. I enjoy their ham and mushroom, but whatever topping you get would be fine!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a regular connoisseur of Nikkis (four times a week I grab a drunken slice), i Will say it is not the best.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MrC's amd Buscemis what a great sense memory, I remember many nights searching for enough change to buy a slice of pizza from one of the two...The Denby crowd of 77 must have spent a a lot if our disposable income there...thanks for the memory.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girl was talking about going there this weekend. I never heard of the place. According to their severly underdeveloped website, all of their locations are in Macomb County. Is that right? I'd hate to travel a good half hour for some slices.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, you mentioned the Denby crowd of 1977. i have two sisters, one class of '77 and one of '78! were you a Thespian there, by chance? perhaps you knew them...
loved Mr. C's; as a kid that was our regular spot when we lived in EEV.
yeah, whatever happened to Red Devil? still around?

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle (now a resident of Milwaukee, WI) is a '78 Alumni of Denby HS. I'll ask him next time he comes back 2 the D. And Yes, Red Devil is still around, it recently reopened, and it's black-owned now. I haven't eaten there since '94! Where I work is not 2 far from it but I'll check it out 1 of these days.

Gibran

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No was not a Thespian, but knew many Jill L and Janice were sisters that come to mind...great productions at the time...

Superaygun

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no way, Gibran! i am Jill and Janice's little sister!! how funny!
yes, Waxx, ask your uncle if he remembers these two pretty blonde sisters from Denby...let me know how Red Devil is if you do check it out. haven't even thought about that place since i was a little kid...

Gibran

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, wow I been searching for Jill for a long time...tell her John S says hello....I remember spending time at your parents home....in the late seventies...

Gibran

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your sisters were extremely talented and great people....They went off to NY and I tried to find out how Jill was doing through mutual friends..

Superaygun

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i haven't talked to her in a while, but i will definitely relay the message! she is married living in NY and works as a writer for Screen Gems. Jan is married with two daughters and living in SCS. they still keep in touch a lot of their friends from Denby, in fact. i know Jill was even in town for the Thespian reunion back in '05.

sorry to derail the thread, guys! back to pizza...

Gibran

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last thing...Thanks so very much...I think you were just a little person when I knew your sisters.....I am so glad she made it in NY, I always knew she would,,,, your sisters represented the best in Denby from that time...I was a class officer and we really had a great class. Pizza, oh yes that's how this started :}

Superaygun

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! sure thing, Gibran. :-) if you have any other shout-outs for J & J feel free to email 'em to me at fromthelionsmouth at yahoo dot com. i'm sure Jill would be flattered to know that you remember her fondly!

Gibran

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank is I will...you can reach me at jsassin@uark.edu....

Gibran

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers Milroys Fish and Chips?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buscami's won;t be receiving my business anymore. Last time I ate some pizza from there (last weekend), I had Food Poisoning the rest of that night. If I get my pizza from any party store, it will be Mr. C's in Grosse Pointe.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love a good pizza thread! I just wish Buscemi's had manifest destiny and open a store on the westside. Other than that, the best pizza I've had recently is Cottage Inn. Their sauce is so good, it's almost TOO good. However, they are a little pricey. Last month I had a pie from Pizza Express. The sauce was too sweet and the toppings kinda bland, I won't patronize them anymore. And nice recall on the Dino's Pizza! I remember they did have great pizza in the late 70's/early 80's.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cottage Inn, NOW you're talking. They just opened one over on Mack and Alter rd. The pizza was good unfortunately, tat's one of the only ones in the city limits, let along the east side and service is horrible.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Cottage Inn, Chicken Mediterranean. I also miss one that, yes, Pizza Hut had about three years ago....their Chicago Style Pizza. Great crust. I also like Green Lantern. Green Lantern was my first pizza....in 1957. I'm old.

LIAB

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a place on Little Mack just before 12 Mile in SCS that had the best pizza. We moved in 2000, so I don't know if they are still there but it was the best.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of sweet pizza has anyone had (I guess they're still open) Roma pizza in Southgate? The sauce was soooo sweet it was like eating candy and if you ever ate inside it was like being in a New Jersey gangster film. Kind of creepy yet cool.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a little kid we use to go to Milroys all the time. I don't remember where it was, but I remember walking into the building.

Gibran

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on Kelly road across from Guardian Angels....if you wen there between 1975-77 on a friday night I could have cooked your dinner...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.