Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Inventory of city owned property in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some years ago I seem to remember a newspaper story about confusion as to how much property the City of Detroit owned or held control over. There were also stories about the trouble some citizens had when they attempted to purchase vacant property. I remember one story where a citizen wanted to purchase the vacant lot next door to his house but ran into bureaucratic hassles with being asked what he planned on doing with the property and so forth. He said something about simply wanting the extra space around his house but the city hesitated in selling the lot. The city may have been figuring that a vacant lot generates less property taxes, so they might as well hang on to the lot for a developer.

In recent years has the city been more flexible in selling off its inventory of property? What percent of the land in the city is owned or controlled by the city?

I always thought if the city had a program where they would give away city owned land in neighborhoods that are lined with vacant lots with the provision that the land be used for commercial and/or residential developement that a number of people, from folks who wanted to take a crack at building their own home to developers, would be attracted to come in.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I can't provide a ton of insight, I know the city lists properties it owns by type (residental, vacant land, commercial) for sale/bid every month at http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/pl andevl/realestate/Sales2006/Bi dSalesIntro.htm

I know the URL says 2006, but it goes to the 2007 listings....

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any answer to your questions. They are trying to move some of the their surplus land. Here is the site that lists what they're trying to sell, along with the rules to buy.

City of Detroit Property sales.
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/pl andevl/realestate/Sales2006/Bi dSalesIntro.htm

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9210
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link was already posted Ndavies. You are really falling down on the job. ; )

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is also important to note that when you are wanting to know "What percent of the land in the city is owned or controlled by the city," that not all of the property owned by the city is vacant or abandoned buildings. Generally urban cities own about 30% of the land. That would include everything from the roads to government buildings.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly there are over 200,000 "parcels" of land owned by the city. Now, that ranges from 1/4 of an acre to hundreds of acres, so I dont know the percentage of land

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.