Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Winter Weather Alert! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me or has the media gone nuts? Every snow turns into a storm. Six inches of snow is not a storm in my opinion. Ten inches or more is a storm. Today's snow is not a storm. It's just snow. It's winter. It's Michigan.

I remember about three or four weeks ago we had unseasonably warm temperatures in the 50s and all the media could talk about was a snow storm that was days away.

It's apparent that the news is trying to scare people into tuning into their specific station. Either they don't have the manpower to do more stories or the national outlets are charging them more to get information, but they are using a lot of air time to talk about the weather. At 5:00 a.m. fine, but not at 5:00 p.m. What do you think?

(Message edited by royce on February 13, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been saying that ALL winter Royce.

Weather is just another way the news media can sensationalize things and get ratings. Most of the time it snows about half of what they called for. But if they called it at the right amount, who'd care?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scared people are glued to their TVs. That makes money

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9214
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will probably get 4 inches of snow at the most. Typical sensationalism by the media.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, because even the weather is the subject of teasers now. I.e. Gaidica comes on at the very beginning of the 6pm news yesterday saying that there is a winter storm watch and heavy snow will fall, but that we'll have to wait 10 minutes to find out how much will fall where, and when. This is just like local news in general, though.

If you want weather info, go right to the source, the national weather service. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/

I hate when a storm is hyped and then it doesn't happen, or it just rains when rain is supposed to change to snow. Heavy coverage for this storm might be justified because it is the first storm of the year and because it will be packing near-blizzard conditions. It really is not a good idea to go out tonight.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick, buy all the milk and bread you can find. :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any amount of snow seems to cause accidents and school closings though, so that is newsworthy.
The high winds are making this snow "event" a little more blizzard like than usual too. (Trying to not use the word storm because Royce said not to. :-))

I admit, I am a snow driving sissy. Luckily the boss did not mind me leaving early to avoid it today.

Dlb
Username: Dlb

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derrick Dennis just pointed to an intersection and said with shock in his voice "take a look , we have salt trucks running through this area!"
Has he been drinking again?

(Message edited by dlb on February 13, 2007)

(Message edited by dlb on February 13, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the mayhem index. The more mayhem the media can create, the better ratings they can get...

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Panic!!

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think it's bad in Detroit, try DC. It's really quite funny how these charlatan meteorologists around her sensationalize snowy weather. Like someone said, people glued to the TV set equals moneys.

The best part is how the water, toilet paper, and milk seriously fly off the shelves in anticipation of one of these DC "blizzards." It typically doesn't even snow or we'll end up getting, at most, 2" of snow, which prompts school closures or delayed arrival. Being from Detroit, it all makes me laugh. I like to boast that cold weather builds character and 2" is nothing but a dusting in Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even worse mindset down here in Charlotte NC I would guess: snowflake=stay home!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4758
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Shit! It's snowing in Michigan!!

Should we HATE BUSH or BLAME GRANHOLM?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Jams. Actually, my only reason for paying attention is to see if school will be closed for me. But since it never closes...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing here in Vegas. We only get measurable rain maybe four times a year. But damn near every local newscast starts with "Is there rain in the forecast? Stay tuned!".

Which reminds me. Why does every newscast start with questions? I didn't tune in to get questions. But usually I don't get intelligent answers, either.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8345
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Why does ANYONE watch network TeeVee any longer?!

On the other hand, this thing DID sweep in fiercely quick...and the pressure change overnight had me in knots.

Called my father, the one who questions my sensitivities to cycles and atmospheric pressure...only to learn HIS back was so screwed up he went to our doctor for help.

Wouldn't be nice to remind him of his critique of MY weather arthritis, now, would it?!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great night to sit at home and enjoy some sports.

Hockey: MSU @ Ferris, 7:30 FSN Detroit
Basektball: UM @ MSU, 9:00 ESPN

Go Spartans!

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Detroit's media can't be as bad as it is "down" here. The following unedited message appeared at the top of a Cleveland news station's website. It really repeated itself as shown below.

quote:

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY... ...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM WEDNESDAY... A BLIZZARD WARNING...IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT NOON WEDNESDAY. -- REPEATING -- BLIZZARD WARNING FOR TWENTY-ONE COUNTIES IN OHIO

Sensationalism at its worst!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11249
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember when Jelk woke up, rolled over, and only saw "an inch." LMAO Best news reporting of his short lived career.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From folklore:
quote:

MICHIGAN TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

When the temperature is at 70 above, Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear. People in Michigan go swimming in the lakes.

60 above
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Michigan plant gardens.

50 above
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Michigan sunbathe.

40 Above
People in Michigan drive with the windows down.
Italian & English cars won't start.

32 above
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

20 above
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Michigan throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Michigan have the last cookout before it gets cold.

People in Miami all die...
Michiganders lick the flagpole.

20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Michigan get out their winter coats.

40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Michigan are selling cookies door to door.

60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Artic.
Michigan Boy Scouts postpone 'Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Michigan rent some videos.

100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Michiganders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Michigan complain about farmers with cold hands.

460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Michigan start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Lions win the Super Bowl!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY... ...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 12 PM WEDNESDAY... A BLIZZARD WARNING...IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT NOON WEDNESDAY. -- REPEATING -- BLIZZARD WARNING FOR TWENTY-ONE COUNTIES IN OHIO

Maybe they meant to say BUZZARD warnings instead, but they spell as badly as what is seen on some forums.

Psip

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was great Jimaz I was LOL.
Its true

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol sport

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WIMPS! We have over 2 feet on the ground up here,narry a day off school for my kids. You people in SE Michigan are soft I tell ya!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical news.

Run for your lives!!!

Or maybe we should just turn off the television and do something constructive like discuss Detroit.

Scs100

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing that a couple of years ago. Thanks for bringing it back up, Jimaz.

(Message edited by SCS100 on February 13, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo, I agree with you. Madison, in South Central WI has its mean January temperature nine degrees colder than Detroit's. Its schools in the rural burbs might close only for very slippery roads or deep snow. They would not close for cold temps unless the heat (bad furnace) was affected.

But less than a couple weeks ago, most of the area's schools closed because it was expected to get "cold." The habitual whiner--Mitch Albom--spent a fair part of his WJR show complaining about the sissies (including those school officials and teachers) wanting off from school for that reason.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not so much sissies as calling off school for a day can save a school district in fuel costs for transportation, and all the hourly wages from people like food service who are not working due to there not being school. It is just another way schools have been using to cut costs. It's a money thing. And the legislature changed the day requirement to an hour requirement a few years ago to help districts save costs. This is why districts tacked a few minutes on to each day to meet the hours instead of days, it saves them money. It's a creative way for administrators to save money.

Scs100

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, except in Grosse Pointe they never call off school. That's why it was a big deal for all of us when they called off school for the first time in about 6 years. No buses here.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those changes in minimum hours were enacted back in 1999/2000, if my memory holds. Already some seven years ago.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a special snowstorm for me. After a 26-year absence I'm enjoying relearning all the nuances of coping with heavy snow.
  • identifying animal tracks in the snow
  • leaving wipers propped up so they don't freeze to the windshield
  • keeping the windshield washer fluid topped off
  • knowing how to thoroughly scrape snow off your boots
  • kicking your heels on the rocker panels to knock the snow off
  • stocking up on everything beforehand, just in case
  • testing the snowblower and eagerly anticipating its use
Yeah, it's all renew to me and I'm smiling ear-to-ear! Michigan is a thing that should be loved. :-)

Bob

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First proposed then LY, but not enacted until 2002/2003 when school budgets first ran into problems after they ran out of one time fixes for the School Aid Fund. That came along with the foundation allowance cuts.

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CharlottePaul, I just moved from Charlotte to Michigan last year and I have to remind myself when it snows here, it doesn't mean I can:
a) Not go to work
b) Leave work early
c) Tell my boss as I leave early that I won't be in the next day either.

those are all things that would be totally acceptable for me in Charlotte at the first sign of snow (-:

(Message edited by limafin on February 13, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The suburban high school where I worked lengthened its six class periods from 52 minutes with 15? minutes between classes by three minutes or so back then. They cut back on the time between classes. They had three staggered fourth periods (4a, 4b, 4c) of which one was lunch and the other two were classes in the same subject.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little over hyped?

From Channel 7's website:

SCHOOL CLOSING ALERT
The winter storm is forcing schools -- including Detroit Public Schools -- to cancel Wednesday classes. Please click the orange "School Closings" box above for a complete list.
FULL STORY
ALERT: Rough Wednesday
Expect the snow to continue through Wednesday morning -- with bitterly cold temperatures. Inside: Forecast from the National Weather Service
FULL STORY

ALERT: Winter Storm Warning
The National Service says watch out for blowing and drifting snow. Inside: Winter Storm Warning from the National Weather Service -- Updated 11:35 p.m.
FULL STORY

ALERT: Snow Emergencies
The winter storm pounding metro Detroit has a number of cities declaring snow emergencies. Cars must be removed from streets.Inside: List of cities -- Updated 10:20 p.m.
FULL STORY

TRAVEL ALERT: Track Your Flight
Weather threatens to delay both incoming and outgoing flights from Detroit Metro Airport. You are urged to check the status of your flight before you leave for the airport. Inside: Phone numbers and flight tracking web links
FULL STORY

http://www.detnow.com/

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's turned out to be a pretty fierce storm, although it took a while to move in earlier Tuesday. The media is still laughable, but the blowing snow and cold winds are really rough, and the roads here in Ann Arbor became impassable in places late this evening. I'm sure the neighborhoods in Detroit will be really clogged for a few days. The city does still have the 6"+ neighborhood snow removal plan, right? I think that is going to be kicking in.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there's snow, but I don't see a paralyzing amount here in western Wayne County. I believe that many school districts made the quick decision to close because today is "Count Day"

Scs100

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I guess snow can close Grosse Pointe. Thank you snow! :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again I laugh, its 1 degree, -10 with the wind chill, we have over 2 feet of snow on the ground..but life goes on. We dont close for snow!

Does SE Michigan not know its winter? Why does a snow storm in Feb shut down cities? sheesh!

Scs100

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the fact that Grosse Pointe never closes school. I could go to school, if I wanted, but since we never get the day off here, it's nice. 3 times this year, but no times over the previous 6 years.

Although I have to agree that this is ridiculous.

Bob

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they close school today (which many did), it makes count day yesterday. And since they have 10 days from the actual count day to count a kid for money, today being canceled is not a big deal in terms of screwing up the count.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very nasty here on the near east side. This is a bigger storm than I expected.

In general, I agree with the many sentiments posted here regarding over-hype of these snow falls and storms.

But it's not fair to compare our area with, say, Traverse City or any UP city...those areas are equipped to deal with much more snow, and much more regular snow, and the citizens don't feel it as much as we do. Here...Jefferson still isn't plowed (near us)! That sucks...so we bitch about it.

At Christmastime last year (2005) we were in the UK where they were going to experience the winter storm of the year. They had maybe an inch, but it closed everything. It amazed me...but if you aren't prepared...even the smallest of changes can really screw you up.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when it used to take damn near an apocalypse to close DPS. Now it seems like they close every month.

They've been hyping this storm up in New York since Saturday. They actually posted weather bulletins Saturday night for a storm that wasn't expected to hit until Tuesday/Wednesday. Now that it's here it doesn't look like we'll even get 3 inches.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY SNOW!!!! If you all don't like it, move down south.

I LOVE MICHIGAN WINTER.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a record amount of school closings today.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sensationalism is a bit much from the media - considering the last several winters have been fairly dry and mild based upon my recollection. I was watching WXYZ last night at 11:00 and had to laugh when the graphic at the bottom of the screen said "Terrible Conditions" and Diana Lewis chimed in and said "look at these terrible conditions" - it's like media for Elementary School children. At work we have a running joke when any precipitation is in the forecast - we call it the "storm of the century." I file this hype in with the "killer bees," "is something in your home killing you..." etc. :-) It gives the schools a day to burn and the kiddies some time to play. Drive safe and enjoy our Winter Wonderland!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand an area from Monroe to Detroit to Macomb County, and points east along the water, got an extra kick of heavy snow after midnight. I was surprised GP schools closed, it takes a lot of well-timed snow to do that. I had three snow days in 4 years in high school. Ann Arbor received 6-7 inches, but there are some mighty drifts out there.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove home from work at 1am, and it was dreadful. We don't have it so bad though, my sister is stranded in New Jersey and she says it's solid ice up and down the east coast.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing more tired that TV news over-reaction to snow storms is the gnashing of teeth by people shocked or disappointed by the TV news over-reaction to snow storms. How fucking white bread and predictable can you people be?

It's interesting that people who seem to complain the most about the media often partake in the worst the media has to offer. The New York Times, the Washington Post, National Public Radio, NewsHour, opinion journals like The Nation, National Review, The New Republic all do a fine job reporting on and analyzing serious and important issues of the day. The lack of quality local media is directly related to a population that won't and doesn't support it.

No where is our state's well-deserved reputation as Michissippi more evident than what our citizens choose to pay attention to as media consumers. You fuckers get exactly the media you deserve. Don't like it, send a check to WUOM, WTVS, or WDET.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jelk. I hope my post above doesn't qualify me as a "whitebread predictable f*cker who deserves exactly the media I deserve."

I read/watch a majority of the media outlets you cited... and rarely pay attention to most local syndicates. I also support public radio / TV and have donated numerous time. Do you think this will solve the multi-billion dollar industry that is corporate media?

A little harsh Jelk...

Peace.

Bob

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And now if we listen to WDET we stuck listening to Amy Miller mispronounce, or screw up the news. Every morning she makes 5 mistakes and that is just on my 25 minute drive to work.

Gannon

Post Number: 8375
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsh, but accurate.

Wouldn't expect anything less, outside of a few personal confrontations he doesn't seem to want to let fade away.

Cheers!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4222
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah well life is a little harsh wear a helmet.

And Bob, I actually haven't heard Amy Miller do Morning Edition but if you don't like her then listen to All Things Considered or turn the dial to WUOM or listen to relevant stories through WDET's website. It still beats the hell out of 7 on your side and the rest of that shit.

(Message edited by Jelk on February 14, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 8376
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless, of course, they are aiming below the belt.

Heh.

Bob

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that what I usually do. It seems a lot of WDET's "local stories" are coming from WUOM anyways. Thank goodness for streaming audio. Makes it so you can catch your favorite radio from anywhere you have the internet.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who wants to do some urban snowshoeing with me tonight??? i love all this snow-- just walked to avalon and the alley i took to get through to cass had well over a foot drifted into it... sweet.

Psip

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock this morning.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be there, Lakesuperior. I left my snowshoes in the north country though.

Scs100

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I tied your total of snow days in GP in one month, Mackinaw. Actually 3 in the past 2 weeks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's that wind chill regulation that made the first two happen. Still I'm jealous.

Scs100

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm not complaining. Sorry you had such bad luck.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the snow more than anything. Been in CA for going on 8 years now. I still don't feel like a CA-guy.

Wish I could join the urban snowshoeing :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.