Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brilliant ways Detroit police scan folks out of money. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is something that has happened to several people I know.

Parked in a No Standing zone, they are issued a ticket. No big deal, anyone who illegally parks usually doesn't have a problem paying the ticket if they get caught (although they may bitch a little).

Problem is, many police purposely DON'T put the ticket on the car like they are supposed to. Therefore the driver never even knows they got a ticket.

A couple weeks later, a ticket, and a 20$ or so late fee is mailed to you. You try and call up the number to protest, but it's nearly impossible to get through to anyone. If you do get through to anyone, they would just assume you're full of shit anyways and it wouldn't do any good. So the person just pays the money instead of dealing with the headache.

As low as this is, I have to hand it to them. This is a relatively brilliant way to scam money out of folks.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting! I have never heard of them not puting the parking ticket on the car...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you positive it wasn't just really windy that day, or your neighbor thought that it would be funny to take the ticket so that you wouldn't see it?

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That happened to me once, but I found out in time by putting my license plate # on the City of Detroit parking payment website. Definitely was a surprise to me..

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that Detroit POLICE issue parking violations (since most of the time they're parked illegally anyway). I thought the METER MAIDS had that job.

Maybe your friend just didn't notice the ticket since the device meter maids use to imput you license, imediately prints the ticket thereafter. Also there is very little reason for meter maids to "pad" tickets since there jobs are relatively safe because of downtown's recent success.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exact same thing that happened to me!!!
I got a parking ticket notice in the mail not on my car! You can't win They know you won't spend the time and aggravation. Typical Detroit crap.
This sounds like a good lawsuit or complaint to the city council. If we get a few people we can make an impact to change this crooked behavior.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, you can always just not park in a no standing zone.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8297
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received a letter from RO that my parking ticket would be sent to collestion. Problem is I have not been parked (my car) in RO in years.

I don't know if they are pulling some bs or someone fat fingered the license plate bumber. Either way I'm stuck paying the ticket since I have no real recourse.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1--commonly a parking ticket will include the color, make and model of the car. What's listed on yours?

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police do issue parking tickets,you can tell the difference by looking at the ticket,when the police give you one it usually written out,when the meter maids give you one it is printed out from the little printer they carry.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the meter maids give you a little thing that looks like a receipt and put it in an envelope ready to be returned for payment. The PD basically uses a standard ticket that you would probably have to go to the PD and pay in person.

Jt1

Post Number: 8299
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

JT1--commonly a parking ticket will include the color, make and model of the car. What's listed on yours?

Don't know as I never saw the ticket. The notice was just a notice that it would go to collection and had a violation number, nothing more.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm...odd. The parking tickets are always waiting for me on my car.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure it doesn't affect your credit rating.

Jt1

Post Number: 8304
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is why I paid it immediately. That is what is so frustrating. Had I had the time to check into it I would have but threatening collection is a bs approach seeing I never received the ticket or got any other notice.

Seemed like it was more extortion than anything else.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8384
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL PARKING TICKETS from meters are extortion.

I have little empathy for those in No Standing Zones, though!

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to WSU I kept an old ticket in my car and when I parked on Warren I put the ticket under my wind shield wipers and avoided getting any more tickets. Some people had the bags they put over broken meters and used them over and over to get free parking.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just park legally. It's REALLY easy, I do it every day. I know it's a longer walk to the Starbucks than if you just park in the alley behind it, but the exercise will do you good.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen some people take tickets off of other people's cars and put it in their own windshield. That way when the metermaid comes, they think that they already gave them a ticket and leave them alone. Meanwhile the poor sap comes out and drives off never knowing he got a ticket....

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^What Nainrouge said. Meterfolk should be required to leave more definite notice, perhaps old fashion tire chalking. I don't know the answer.

Once I got an expired meter ticket on Warren west of Woodward, just missing the meter guy. When I looked at the ticket it was $100 for parking in a handicap spot [which it was not.] I spotted him working the other side of the street, dodged traffic and caught him. He sheepishly tore it up. Otherwise I would have been up the creek.

Question: Does anybody know what pressures are applied to parking enforcement to get ticket/dollar quotas each day?

Solution for the total recovery of the City of Detroit: Get all departments to respond and function as quickly as parking enforcement.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a matter of parking legally or illegally.
Sometimes they do not put the ticket on the window on purpose, then the civilian gets stuck with an extra 20.00 plus fine for not paying on time.

This is illegal and the City of Detroit should pay a heavy penalty for defrauding car owners.
If we get enough people we can file a class action.
let me know.

(Message edited by eastside_charlie on February 17, 2007)

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU police towed my car a few months ago, parked legally in the tech town area. The reason given was emergency construction, no signs of drilling or anything and cars were parked there.
No ticket fee, but $100 to get out of impound.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need for class action lawsuits. SOLUTION: Don't drive a car! Penalize car drivers!!!!!!

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "phantom ticket." This is an old practice that was revealed years ago. Meternazis would make a list of car plates and then write a bunch of tickets that were never placed on a car in order to save time and walking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.