Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New Center Meeting Space « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of a space that can be rented for a weekend for classes? We need about 500 - 700 sq. ft.. Is there anything like this available in the Fisher Building?

Second question, would it be safe to bring non-Detroiters (mostly women) to this area? Are there any hotels/motels and nearby restaurants within walking distance of this area?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8307
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would contact the New Center Council. I think the president's name is Michael Sokola or something like that- I believe that he is part owner of Norther Lights.

Search on New Center Council. I believe they have a website.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure the Fisher Building has meeting space available, and yes it is plenty safe. There are multiple restaurants in that immediate area. Hotel St. Regis is right there, and I know it is being converted to condos, but I dont know when the change takes place. There are a couple restaurants in the Fisher itself

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only place more dangerous than New Center is Livonia. I would suggest looking for meeting space in the Chene Ave/ I-94 area - probably a lot safer for non-Detroiters.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Peachlaser,

Here's the link to the New Center Council website staff page: http://www.newcenter.com/staff .htm.

Not much in the way of hotels, though, within walking distance of the Fisher Building, except the somewhat pricey St. Regis.

Not knowing your specific needs, but you might should check out the Renaissance Center. They have meeting rooms available for rent; our company often booked space for company gatherings larger than we could handle within our own space.
And the Marriott Hotel is in the building and they handle meetings and events within. http://marriott.com/meeting/de fault.mi

Another possibility might be the Atheneum Hotel over near Greektown. http://www.atheneumsuites.com/ 02/main.html

Let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7406
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hotelstregisdetroit.com /home.htm

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could also rent McGregor Conference Center at Wayne State.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone. Your comments are very helpful.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guardian Building downtown has conference space of various sizes for rent. Right in the heart of downtown.

Kookie
Username: Kookie

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to try the DPS Welcome Center in the New Center One building.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also use the carriage house at the Ferry Street Inn. The rooms are right there and they have catering contracts with places like the Whitney and Union Street.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stay at ferry street and walk to the scarab club!

http://scarabclub.org/rental.h tml

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.