Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I need a Buck 50 to get to Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/33910

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that article is RIGHT on. that happens to me EVERY DAY. amazing.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had that happen to me in a Jimmy John's parking lot...except the Jimmy John's was in Livonia and the guy needed a buck-fifty to get back to Brighton...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I had a guy hit me up for bus fare I happened to have a valid transfer in my pocket so I gave him that. I was a businessman in a suit at the time, I don't think my new acquaintance was expecting a bus transfer from me.

The look on his face was worth wasting the transfer. It was clear, from the look, that what he actually wanted was money for something other than bus fare, otherwise he would have been pleased with my gift.

My favorite though was a guy last summer standing at the top of the Ford Road ramp from westbound I-94. He was holding up a sign that said, I kid you not: "Why lie? I want money so I can buy a beer."

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Downtown Louisville, KY once and a guy came up and said "hey man, I need some money, I'm tryin' to get a bus ticket back to Detroit". I smiled and said "what part of Detroit are you from"? He got a blank look on his face and said "um, uh, the country part".

I guess he picked Detroit to be from because he didn't think a white guy would know anything about it.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the country part" - he probably meant Hall Road :-)

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beer sign thing is pretty common nowadays. I started seeing it years ago at the 8mile/service drive intersection.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god, don't get me going. I've stopped helping anyone.

The last straw was when I was at a Dunkin Donuts one winter morning in Chicago getting a coffee. Guy asked me for my coffee change so he could catch the L. Told me he only needed $0.80 to buy a ticket. Fine. I gave him my dollar bill. About 3 minutes later I head into the subway to catch the red line. Guy is down there and asks me for another $1.50 "so I can catch the L". I about blew a freakin gasket. I told the guy to "eat shit; you just told me you only needed $0.80, I gave you a $1, and now you're asking me for more money?!"

Another time one guy would ask me for money EVERY FREAKING DAY as he sat his ass at the bottom of the steps to the State/Lake station. I said "sorry" every single day for months. Then I stopped saying anything. The guy stands up and starts to tell me I don't need to be an asshole and that I could say something (maybe he is right, but the fact he's telling me off really pissed me off), I turned around and told him to keep his mouth shut and that I was sick of him asking me for money every single damn day.

Since then, I don't care how polite, sincere (if there is such a thing), needy, whatever. I don't give ANYONE ANYTHING any more.

Though I did buy a guy a sandwich at Campus Martius once. He genuinely appreciated it. It was Christmas, so I gave in. Felt a little odd when he said thank you so many times and said he'd do anything for me. If I wanted somebody killed, he'd do it. I laughed and just asked that he do something nice for somebody else someday.

Paulc

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81 - I am with you on no longer handing out change/cash. The sandwich offering is great - especially if someone is truly hungry. Anytime I am downtown and have leftover food (not half-eaten either) from a restaurant outing, I will offer it to the first person I see who is asking for a "helping hand." You get some takers who genuinely appreciate it and some who have no desire.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was this young guy who used to hang out in front of Blockbuster. One day I had my three kids with me, and he asked me for money. I gave him a dirty look and said he should be giving me money, I'm the one with three kids. He looked at me and said that he wasn't my babies' daddy and he shouldn't give me anything. Needless to say, I cussed his ass out.

Every time I went to Blockbuster, he didn't say a damn word to me. Bum!

Professorscott

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the quarter lady still hang out downtown? I always liked her, she was very nice and not pushy, just "got a quarter?" in kind of a Bronx-ish accent. I probably gave her fifteen or twenty bucks over the years.

I also remember Connie McConaghie, I'm probably spelling that wrong, we used to buy her lunch at McNally's down in Corktown when the Tigers were still playing at the old ballpark. Nice lady. She had a job (delivered the Freep) but wasn't making quite enough to live on. I don't recall her actually asking you for lunch, it was more automatic, you'd just buy it for her.

We tried to run her for City Council but we forgot to tell all the suburbanite officeworkers that ate there that you had to be a Detroit resident to sign the petition. I think she'd have done a good job (especially compared to who does get elected).

Paulc

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hearing stories like yours, Professorscott or Jerome81 - speaks greatly to the power of community and taking care of others. I recall when Lindell AC was still in existence, an older gentleman named John - they called him "birdman," who was a regular. He was in his 60's/70's, worked at a diner near WSU campus and had lost his retirement benefits, etc. due to some swindling of his former employer (or as he told me). Nevertheless, he was a nice person and never asked for anything - but I would always pay for his food and a burger to go when I saw him. It always seemed to brighten his day...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Flint, near downtown. On Saturday night at about 1:30 (Sunday Morning), I hear this knock on my back door. I answer it with my shotgun and there's this guy standing on the porch holding his license up to the screen door. He says his car ran out of gas near I-475 and needed a couple bucks. I sent him away empty handed because a different guy said the same thing to me in my back parking lot a few months ago. I went out my front door into the dark foyer and could see another guy standing on a street corner a house down. I assume it was the same guy from a few months ago.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor,

I saw the quarter lady during the Winter Blast. She has upped her asking price though now.

Last time, she needed $7 for a sandwich at greektown

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited Baltimore a few years ago, Inner harbor area is very nice, but that has got to be the worst place on the planet for panhandlers. I swear you cannot walk 50 feet without hearing another pitch for cash. Very wierd. I tell them what I always have "Go to your local social service and apply for assistance, thats why I pay taxes"

My feeling is, if they don't qualify for assistance they probably don't need my money neither...

Professorscott

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! 2800% inflation! No wonder the Fed has raised interest rates so many times.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this wasn't a clever way to say that Detroit automakers should stop asking D.C. for trade/environmental help when trying to sell more cars.

....there seems to be something more to this than just about a bum asking for money.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11261
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live in Flint, near downtown. On Saturday night at about 1:30 (Sunday Morning), I hear this knock on my back door. I answer it with my shotgun...

Very nice.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a strange one while waiting for a prescription in the Walgreens at Plymouth and Middlebelt...a younger girl (I'm 28, and she was a little younger than me) tells me she needs gas for her car and she has no cash. She DOES have a gift card for Walgreens, and asks if I can let her pay for my stuff with the card, in exchange for the cash. Needless to say, this is fishy. I tell her I planned on using my debit card to pay, but I do give her $2, and tell her I hope it helps.

So, is there a racket in stealing gift cards, I take it?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give these guys apples or oranges sometimes, never money.
In Detroit, the bus needed is usually to Pontiac...
Having lived near the Mexican Restaurants, I've seen the same bums working them for years...
One day I met one of the regular spungers in front of the local party store...
"Hey, wanna buy a dinner?? Just came out of the kitchen, man!"
(Obviously someone had bought him a dinner instead of giving him cash, and he was trying to convert it to beer money)

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a guy outside the Little Caesars near Harbortown beg me for some money so he could buy some crazy-bread, I blew him off but felt guilty while waiting in line so I figured what the heck, and bought a crazy bread and sauce for him. When I handed him the bag and told him what it was he got pissed off and stormed away to the next customer without even saying Thanks. That was the last time I will ever fall for that trick.

I also had a strange incident regarding a gift card exchange at the Lowes in harper Woods. The dude told me he would sell me a $50 gift card for $25. I figured some deals are too good to be true and turned him down. I am curious what the scam is behind the giftcards.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come on phikapbob, you've never seen "reality bites"?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I also had a strange incident regarding a gift card exchange at the Lowes in harper Woods. The dude told me he would sell me a $50 gift card for $25. I figured some deals are too good to be true and turned him down. I am curious what the scam is behind the giftcards.

Perhaps the gift card is not "activated" and is really just a blank off the rack.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These panhandlers even come up to your car window when you are stopped at a red light. Yeah, that's just what I want, some shady-looking dude coming up to my window at 1:00 in the morning when I am stopped at a light in Detroit, for all I know he is going to stick a gun in my face and take my car. That shit is unacceptable.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They gotta do what they gotta do. Very difficult for them to get money in many other ways...

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandonhgt,

I had a similar experience at the Little ceasar's there.

A man knocked on my window, and i opened it just a couple of inches. He asked for money for some pizza. I said no, but you can have a piece of mine. Slid a slice to him as his phalanges dangled into my car.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! I had to look up "phalange." One definition was "bone between the finger and toe joints."

That's disgusting. :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I recently experienced here in Charlotte was a guy that told me his life story, how he had just gotten out of prison and what not (even sang a song for me) and then told me how he needed 20 bucks for the rest of his bus fare home. I said that I didn't have any cash on me and he tried talking me into going to an ATM. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I asked him what he needed most and he told me money for food and a new sleeping bag for where he was sleeping. I remembered that I had a blanket in the trunk of my car a few blocks away. I went and retrieved it and gave it to him. He proceeded to say, "No man! You aren't understanding me; listen to me." He went through the same life story again. Apparently he really did want just the $$$ and was trying to deceive me. I then went and bought him food and guilted him into being appreciative of what I had given him after enough time he did thank me.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen Michael? This guy has long dreads, red eyes, and no feet (therefore in a wheelchair). When I used to live downtown he was the only one I would give money to.
One day he wheeled up to me and said "Hello my name is Michael, I have no feet, can you spare some change?"
I hate those idiots who ask for bus fair.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 973
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Last time I had a guy hit me up for bus fare I happened to have a valid transfer in my pocket so I gave him that. I was a businessman in a suit at the time, I don't think my new acquaintance was expecting a bus transfer from me."

That happened to me too, I gave him a bus ticket showed him where to stand to wait for the Pontiac bus, then I told him I would stay with him till the bus comes to keep him company. I was leaving work at the Fox just as it was letting out. As an underemloyed young planner, I was willing to put in long hours doing just about anything I could to hustle some money. I also was keenly into scammers. So I hung out and whenever he excused himself to go bother someone I'd just be right behind him telling the person I just gave him a bus ticket that would get him to Pontiac and another to get back!

Oh he was pissed at me, but I had fun.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

planning at Ilitch HQ?? Interesting :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 975
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no.. I sold stuff. It helped me to pay for school and for my house. That was back in the 80's.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line, they're almost all Scams. And they dont' really want food either.

The gas one got my aunt. Some lady with a baby stops you on the street in chicago and says she ran out of gas. $5 goes to her. The next week the same car, same woman, same baby ran out of gas in the same spot.

My old man had a friend who owned a shipping/packing co in Chicago. Musta been the 70's. guy asked for change. Pa's friend says he can come work the dock at his place for $X/hour. Guy answers "Hell No!" and walks away.

Too many stories like this have made me too bitter to share some charity. I did give leftover Fishbones to a guy in a wheelchair hanging out on the corner. They seemed genuinely happy for it (and a couple others left food too). He was chowin down.

Bottom line, don't give or buy them anything you wouldn't have already bought for yourself. They say they need a fare, or pass, or food. They just want cash.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of us have had some beggar hitting us up for a hand out at one time or another. If you’re on the east side, they need to get to the west side. If you’re on the west, they need to get to the east. If you come out of a restaurant with a doggie bag, they want that too. I’ve been hit up by men and women, but mostly they are young. One guy wore a nice suit, and when I couldn’t come up with a buck (I didn’t even have a dollar of my own!) he got shitty with me and chewed me up and down. Another time I gave a buck to a dude, and he said it wasn’t enough and demanded more. Still another time, I got a gun in my face, and they got my last 37 cents. If you think these guys are for real, try it some time. Try and beg a dollar from a stranger on the street and see how it makes you feel. This is all they know, gimmy gimmy gimmy. Well, we’ll be giving all these fine people free health care soon, and you know what? That won’t be enough either. (Sorry for the politics, I’m in a bad mood at the moment

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been hit up by the "Crying Lady Biker".

Multiple times when i've been down at Greektown or Harmonie Park or walking to Tigers game, alone or with friends i run into this small framed skinny african american woman on a bike and she stops and starts he plea. She starts crying like crazy and hanging off of you and touching you and saying she's pregnant and homeless and "she'll lick the dirt off your shoes, they're so pretty". And then when you give her something (she accepts nothing less than a dollar) off go the water works-no thank you- and she rides off. If you turn her down she follows you.

Anyone else run into her? She's one of my favorites.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow! 2800% inflation! No wonder the Fed has raised interest rates so many times.

2800% inflation??? And you're parading around as a prof?

It's 2700% inflation...

A 100% inflation doubles the price, one at 200% triples the price, ..., and another at 2700% is 28 times the original amount ($7/$0.25 = 28). So I think by now you probably might get the picture...

Sheesh! Next, you'll have us believe you're some kind of mass/rapid transit expert!

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 14, 2007)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always give them a little something, regardless of the phony stories. I figure -- There but for the grace of God go I. Very cheap way to get a good feeling.

Actually, the phonier the story the more I give them. I figure they're amateurs and probably need the money more than the more skilled, creative panhandlers.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee LY, he made one math error. How many have you made? Way to rub it in.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No sense of humor, heh?

BTW, Scott won't mind, and he doesn't need any help from you because he's big that way.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not give money to anyone on the street. When asked, I look directly at the requester and reply, "Thank you; but not today." I clearly understand the idea, "There but for the grace of God go I." So there is no need for me to be disrespectful or argumentative and I just keep on walking.

The Open Door Program at Fort Street Presbyterian Church provides haircuts, showers, HIV testing, counseling (not prayer sessions; but professional counseling), and a morning meal to men and women in need. I feel my donations to the Open Door provide much more direct and meaningful assistance to my fellow citizens than any money I could give on the street.

Lastly, my experience is that the panhandlers that I encounter almost daily in the Greektown and east downtown areas are much more pleasant and polite than those who approach me on my occasional visits to midtown.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha
i met a cracked out white trash piece of shit on 12 n grosebeck trying to pull the same shit
said he was outta gas and credit card was declined
but his ride was running
im confused
he also told me i was in eastpointe
at that point i decided he was on crack or meth
i politely declined to share my cash money and drove off smiling

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

giving money to these beggars only encourages more beggars, don't be a sucker and fall for these scams

If it makes you feel better make a donation to the Detroit Rescue Mission
http://www.drmm.org/

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4762
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me, I don't mean you no harm, but it's to cold out to be trying to get bus fare to feed my kids so just click my Paypal account and add a few bucks to it so I can get gas for my car and get to a place where I can apply for a job...

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last year I had a guy tell me he needed 15 bucks to get back to Cleveland.

the irony was that I was IN Cleveland.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exiting the Southfield southbound on the frontage road toward Ford, this guy about forty darts out in front of me, probably trying to rub against my CRX and hit me up for some eventual money. Well, that vehicle stops on a dime and while turning away into the other lane, the car missed him by a bunch.

Apparently, he had another scam going, as he now comes to the driver's door (I'm already stopped at a risky spot at 6 AM) and says he wants me to give him $45 so he could get his car (WHAT CAR?) towed. I told him I'll call 911 and get a cop for him, but he begged me not to. The money was all he needed, not any "help" from the police.

He had his hands on the partially rolled-down window, so I just opened my car door, stepped out, and my knee must have gotten in the way of his groin somehow and down he went, off the roadway. Not wanting to get rear-ended, I just got out of there, fast.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 15, 2007)

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to explain the actual cost of a bullet and how I would rather shoot them and claim I feared for my life, self defense, then give these con men a dime. You should see the look on thier face when all 6 ft 4 of me says that. I do explain that I won't do that as it's a pain in the ass to get out of it, HOWEVER I have a photo album of KIRBY GREEN. Good old Kirby must be a single father. He had two kids with him working the streets of the CBD....then one year the kids were old enough that he must have had to send them off to school. Now his scam is to walk the streets in a suit and a briefcase and ask for a few bucks to get back home after coming downtownand having his car stolen, losing his wallet and needing bus fare...I have listened to his scam and am always in awe of how many people give him money

and for the record, I have photos of just about every one of these guys working the streets of the CBD. I have the proof of thier crimes, and these people con people, that's illeagle.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was waiting for the light on Woodward and I saw this guy running up to the cars in front of me and pounding on the windows. When he got to me he told he the following story: He said that he was a truck driver from Windsor and that his truck had broken down. He needed money to call his boss and only had Canadian money. He said he was desperate because he didn't want to lose his job and no one would help him. I thought "yeah right, whatever" but handed him $2 anyway. The light turned green and he threw something into my car as he raced away. When I looked down later, I saw it was a Canadian $2 coin. The poor guy had been telling the truth!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY you really did that? That's pretty ballsy. PUN INTENDED. Be careful man.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Toronto and was approached by a rag-tag guy begging for money. I didn't give him any. Later I came back down the street and saw him down a side street in a FUR COAT TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE. I mean, what the hell? These guys are giving the real drug-addicted alchoholic bums a bad name.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a cheap-ass friend that always uses the same goofy-ass excuse. He says "sorry, but I already gave to United Way this year." You should see the confused look on these guys faces.

I get asked for change a lot at Wayne State. these guys will follow you into buildings too. Other day I had a bunch of Canadian change and handed it over.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't give money to beggars on the street. Although a musician will get a little money from me. One time my wife and I were walking through capital park and had at least 4 or 5 beggars ask for money. Refused each one of them. We then were approached by a guy who proceeded to recite a half way good poem. I gave him a little money.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY you really did that? That's pretty ballsy. PUN INTENDED. Be careful man.

The hard part was getting the bum away from the door. He didn't look too physical and he didn't have anything in his hands. Sort of had the glazed-eye look that you see from some of the really crazy downtown bums out towards MidTown near the Labor Ready or the church with the soup kitchen across the street.

But I couldn't take off with him trying to get into the car without running over him or what not. Then the bastard might sue me...

He must have thought I was going to pay him when I opened the car, so he cleared away. Then he said something goofy, and I already had enough of his BS and I just wanted out-of-there after driving home from work in Plymouth Twp. So, I nudged him away so I could go home and then to my other job.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one "socio-economically disadvantaged" fellow ask me what the "best nation in the world is?" Dumbfounded, I responded "America?"

"No man," he said with a smile, "doNATION"

I was very charmed by this response and gave him 5 bucks. I still chuckle about it from time to time. Nothing like a fresh approach.

My friend, when asked for spare change usually responds "Change comes from within, my friend." And walks away. You should see the look on their faces.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I had one "socio-economically disadvantaged" fellow ask me what the "best nation in the world is?" Dumbfounded, I responded "America?"

I was very charmed by this response and gave him 5 bucks. I still chuckle about it from time to time. Nothing like a fresh approach.

Same thing happened to me one afternoon leaving Jacoby's. I laughed and gave him $5.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside the Detroit Greyhound bus depot, I once beat a bum coming my way to the punch by asking him for a quarter before he could hit up on me. Got instant peace for the rest of my wait as no other bums came my way. Word gets around, I guess.

Priceless...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria I had that guy come up to me and my friends outside the Magic Stick. My buddy Steve guessed "Urination?" He said "yeah, that ones pretty good too." We gave him some money cuz at least he entertained us somewhat.

I would also give money to the bum who would come where we would line up to get into a show in St. Andrews and play requests on his guitar that had one good string on it. Dude could actually play some songs on one string.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high cost of Ann Arbor, I guess: I was approached by your typical street hustler, and I was about to hand over my pocket worth's of change, the dude boldly asked for ten dollars... Not what I was expecting! Breach of protocol-- What happened to the buck 50? I felt like Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Vacation"-- The scene where Randy Quaid hits him up for what Chevy thinks will be only a few dollars, and as he asks how much do you need-- The Quaid character floors him by asking for thousands... Chevy quietly puts his wallet away.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In bum/gutterpunk/hobo circles it's "spangin'" ("spare change?")

I get a LOT of AA woman outside supermarkets it's always always "peanut butter for my kids"

Nobody here has gotten the "I need money 4 gas & I'm on leave and don't wanna be AWOL at my base"? this plea by guys outta shape with hair way outta regulation, I can never believe Our Fighting Men & Women would make such a tyro blunder as to run outta gas, it's made a big comeback since the War On Terror

My brother tears $1 bills back from bums who say "Only a dollah? I see 20's in there"(his wallet-but he's 6'8") he would buy 99 cent burgers for the homeless but after one guy threw a Jumbo Jack @ him he doesn't bother anymore

Johnlodge, a friend gave a couple loonies to a gutterpunk in Vancouver befoere stopping & going, "Wait, this country is neo-socialist with all this GST crap why am I giving THESE peopole money?"

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could this be a satire on the Detroit auto industry? They keep telling the feds they just need a little help, they are a little short, but they are always more and more short...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj, at least that bum had health insurance!!!!! LOL

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CorktownMark - Wrist bands dude, wrist bands..

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9217
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they say fiFTY or fITTY?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4766
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My all time favorite was the guy who came up to me and said
quote:

I just left my accountant's office and he told me I'm $0.25 away from being a millionaire, could you help me?

Worth the couple of bucks for the laugh.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love the bums with signs: "Will work for Food". One day day at W. Grand Blvd & the Lodge I came on one & asked him if wanted to help load some boxes for 10 bucks ( I was kidding ) He got pissed & said something like give me a f'ing dollar or get lost!!!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh oh! We forgot about the most classic of them ALL.

"Hey man, wanna buy an entertainment guide? Three bucks man!"

"Dude that's a Metro Times. They're free. You just took a whole stack from somewhere."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3646
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... 3rdworldcity... you're like me, (a softy at heart)... giving them a little... makes you feel better about yourself for a while, in helping the less fortunate.

(Just as long as we don't see them buying crack with it!:-()

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that beggar by the entrance to the I-75 & 7 Mile on-ramp still there? It's been three years since I ran a short laundry pick-up and drop every Thursday at Selfridge ANG for a friend on McNichols near the UoD. That guy was so lazy that he sometimes sat on a chair or something.

His sign was so old, it was mostly unreadable and considering all the smoking, drinking, and eating he did while begging, he didn't seem to be in any distress. At times, it appeared as if he were asleep in the middle of the street.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Vegas there's a guy that sits on the strip right by Harrah's Carnaval Court at night. The guy is in a wheel chair, has no arms, no legs, and no teeth, and veteran patches all over his shirt. When you can beat THAT, I'll give you some money.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down at Wayne State I use to tell the beggars I'm a student, I'm broke or it's close to the end of the semester, the money is all gone. I agree if you give them money, it will just give them a reason to keep asking.

One question I have is there is a guy who stands at the top of the I-94 Moross exit holding a homeless and hungry sign. During the summer he always has a frozen bottle of water with him. If he doesn't have a house, how is he freezing the water bottle?

Channel 4 did a story a few years ago about beggars and most made quite a bit of money for doing nothing. Then they showed a guy at 8 mile and I-75 who when he had enough cash, would run a block away and get high, sleep it off and go right back to begging.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11265
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Same thing happened to me one afternoon leaving Jacoby's. I laughed and gave him $5.

Rookies. They never got me with that one, I always respond with "Nodonation is the best damn nation in the world."

Korridorkid

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, creativity counts for something SS. I'm not above giving something for a unique tactical strategy.

Plus I was slightly drunk and it was so much funnier that way.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work as a valet attendant for a club in Rivertown (back when Rivertown was booming), and we always used to see this middle-aged white woman begging people for money while they were waiting in line to get their cars parked. She was down there every Friday and Saturday night, and she cleaned-up. She gave everyone the same sob-story about how she was homeless with 5 starving kids. We saw people giving her $5s & $10s regularly. We couldn't believe how many people fell for her act, and we always shooed her away.

One day I was at a Kinko's on the East Side, and I saw her walking out as I was walking in. She was well-dressed and carrying a box of business cards. The second I saw her, I said "Don't I know you?". She recognized me immediately and got a freaked-out look on her face. Without saying a thing, she ran out of the place, got into a brand new Taurus and sped off.
We never saw her in Rivertown again.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wear this t-shirt, problem solved:

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one lady squeeze in between my car and the fast food restaurant. I was shocked that just walked sideways from car to car asking for change. Can't I get some Popeye's Chicken in peace!?!?

I've also had the person walk up to the car as I sat at the light. Same story, daughter on westside... blah blah blah. I would actually respect it more if you just asked for change, I really don't care why. I have already decided long before you asked whether or not I will give it to you or not.

And another lady stand outside of the Chase Bank on Gratiot at Warren(?). I actually thought the lady at the bank was clever because why else would I go to a bank unless I was withdrawing or depositing money. She took away the line, "I don't have it." So, then you have to resort to just saying "NO, leave me the f*ck alone!!"

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard of some street folks here who pull down over $100 a day. That's white liberal guilt for ya.

We have a guy in Georgetown who sits outside Starbucks and asks, "Got a couple hundred dollars? Blank check? Credit card?" I always have to smile when I hear it, but I never give him anything.

I will always buy the Street Sense newspaper, though. The people who sell it get $0.75 out of every $1 copy, and many of them use the money to rent an apartment and find a job.

Mkhopper
Username: Mkhopper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago, I was making some deliveries at the RenCen and a guy came up asking for bus fare to get back up Woodward. The thing was, he was all done up. Nice, clean suit, expensive looking case, etc..
I looked at him and without a word, reached back into my car, fished 3 pennies out of the coin holder, handed them to him and walked off shaking my head.
He threw them back at me... Guess he didn't need the cash that badly after all.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When not to beg for change: This past tuesday night-- In the middle of the snow storm. This fellow jumped out onto Michigan Ave. downtown Ypsi after the light turned red, the problem being (besides visibility)people would 'fishtail' slightly on the snowy pavement as they stepped on the gas-- Nearly bumping him. A risky venture for that 'buck fiffy.'

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen Michael? This guy has long dreads, red eyes, and no feet (therefore in a wheelchair). When I used to live downtown he was the only one I would give money to.

I see a guy who fits that description inside the Anchor Bar all the time.

The only person I ever give money to is this guy I see on my way to work who is selling bags of peanuts for $1. He has a sign that says, "Please help me and my family." I figure he's working and trying, so I give him a buck once in a while. I never take the peanuts, but he always offers me them anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.