Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Tickets first, snow removal second « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else notice Wednesday that while the Kilpatrick administration couldn't plow the sidestreets in Detroit, there was no problem mobilizing the meter maids?
I got stuck on Selden at Woodward trying to make my way to Honest Johns around 1 p.m. Well after the snow had stopped falling and 10 to 12 hours after it started accumulating. Now, I know there are many, many roads in Detroit and not a lot of money to go around, but come on.
I was frustrated, but not mad.
What made me mad was heading downtown and seeing the parking cops doling out tickets to people who were apparently too far from the curb - because there was a mountain of snow there.
I love how so many people villify Archer for not keeping the roads plowed. Kwame better be thanking Mother Nature for going easy on him.
While cherry red Navigators and dead strippers isn't enough to keep you from being re-elected in Detroit, not plowing the roads is.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wah wah wah

Life sure is tough in 2007.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8334
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we start a 'complain about parking tickets' master thread.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not only concerned about how quickly the meter maids were mobilized, I'm also a little concerned that the new uniforms are a bit much considering the current financial status of the city...

...and does she really need a driver?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha.
I didn't get a parking ticket. Nor am I complaining that there are meter maids. Just seems like maybe plowing the roads would be a nice gesture, and if you aren't gonna plow 'em, maybe a little leniency.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In New York they ticketed people for, get this... being stuck in the snow! Most roads weren't cleared for 2 days and hardly 3 inches fell here. I actually appreciate how well Detroit handles snow after seeing this spectacle.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had declared a snow emergency so they could plow. Cars had to be off the streets for 24 hours. That's why the people were getting the tickets. In a snow emergency you need to get your car off the street.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet ... so many roads were not plowed.

If they were serious about that, the streets would be full of towtrucks, not meter maids.

Jt1

Post Number: 8346
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mention that. I was wondering the other day how much money cities, and counties have saved due to the up to now snowless winter.

Was it last year that the county were complaining they didn't have enough money to cut the grass on the freeways because they ran out. I'd like to know how much money is allocated for snow removal and how much will be left over after the winter.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the people should be thankful they just got a ticket and not towed.

The emergency was declared. If you left your car on the street you deserved the ticket.

Jt1

Post Number: 8348
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the emergency to be able to plow or to make sure that emergency vehicles can get through?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea 2005, about end of July the county ran out of money for cutting the grass along freeways

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find a car the same brand and make as yours, same color if possible, swap plates, No more problems with parking tickets.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies speaks the truth.

At least in the D there are plenty of parking lots and almost everyone has a garage or driveway. In Ann Arbor there are more cars than parking spots/driveway spots, so people park on every available street spot. Needless to say, they did not issue a snow emergency, and if they did, they would probably be towing several thousand cars.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think of a parking ticket as a indirect way of assisting Detroit in its time of need.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 504
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1: It is to make it ever so much easier to plow streets. Not to mention, most people don't want their car plowed in.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thought: don't critique the meter maids for doing their job, and don't complain the streets weren't plowed quickly enough when people didn't bother to move their vehicles off the road! These are people doing their jobs in a city where people often complain that city employees aren't doing their job!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they were serious about that, the streets would be full of towtrucks, not meter maids.

My point exactly.
As for this: "The emergency was declared. If you left your car on the street you deserved the ticket."

What I witnessed was going on at about 3:30 p.m. downtown. Seems like they would have had plenty of time.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the New York Times:

A day after telling New Yorkers to stop “griping” over parking tickets issued to snowbound cars, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg issued a rare apology and promised to waive all tickets handed out today and Thursday for alternate-side-of-the-street parking violations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.