Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The best Transit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what do you think would be the best transit for detroit....considering cost

cost wise

a.) Light rail from downtown to airport
b.) extension of People Mover
c.) better bussing
d.) other

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has there been any movement to consolidate DDOT and SMART bus systems?

I thought Detroit would be happy to have a merger but for years it has been hung up on the control issue.

There was discussion years ago of having a licensed jitney service but Maryann Mahaffey, among others, was against it.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

magic carpets driven by siberian white tigers from here to the moon.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4844
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Light rail from Detroit Metro to Grosse Pointe.
Put on large luggage racks and run it day and night four times an hour. They are sick and tired of I-94 being all fucked up. Flat fee, $10.00.

Inside Detroit, charge bus prices. Everybody going to airport along the line, $10.00.

jjaba.

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hasn't this thread been done in 90 different ways in the past 6 months? im sick of this opinion polls fot things that have been done, its the same people with the same opinions, same arguing same annoying characters. god this place sucks

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_publican, Transportation Riders United are the biggest proponents of more cooperation between SMART and DDOT: http://www.detroittransit.org/

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second that jjaba. Easy way for me to get to metro if that route would happen.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really don't care how its done even if it means like a donation campaine. If the Detroit riverwalk can raise 90 million on a waterfont then can't we do the same for transit

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 514
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the riverwalk did get quite a bit of funds from outside of just the city. I doubt that there are many bus systems that receive federal funding.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally i'd like to see the People mover expanded. Even if it is a pipe dream...

Consider building a woodward extension to the DIA as a exploratory leg for a Jefferson/Gratiot/Grandriver/M ichigan leg.

Woodward stops include, but not limited too:
DIA/Public Library/WSU
MOCAD/Whitney
Majestic/Med.Center/Orchestra Hall
Crystal Ballroom/Fine Arts
Brush Park/I-75
Foxtown
and of course the leg Hub at Grand Circus Station.

How they would configure it into Woodward, I don't know, but wouldn't it be nice...

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minneapolis had twice the ridership expected on its new light rail. Its success is the result of at least four things.
1. The light rail connects the Mall of America, the airport, the U.Minnesota (44,000 students), and its thriving downtown.
2. Minneapolis has redesigned its transit system around its light rail.
3. Minneapolis is a low crime big city so people are not afraid to go downtown.
4. It turns out that people who refuse to ride on busses, enjoy riding on light transit. This was considered the major reason ridership was underestimated.

If Detroit could emulate the Minneapolis example, a Metro Airport to Downtown light transit could later be expanded to an Ann Arbor-Mt. Clemens crosstown line. Real estate becomes more valuable nears light rail stops. This results in businesses, high rise apartments, and parking facilities being built nearby.

When there is a basketball game or some other event in Downtown Minneapolis, the light rail is loaded. After the event, attendees eat or drink downtown before heading back on the light rail. Its been great for downtown nightlife and parking.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.