Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » University Village Apts Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passed by these apartments at Third and Prentis(?). Is the closing a good thing? I know that when someone was posting the WSU crime reports this intersection was talked about often as having a lot of crime. Anyone know the scoop?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bunch of cops cleared it out one day

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was basically a crack den.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Owner...Plans to remodel it.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thing, I hope its remodeled

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5521
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now new WSU Students who come from the suburbs or afar may have to live on one of the brand new very expensive small compact dorms in campus.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any street-and-Prentis is always a concern for crime. Mostly petty crime, but when drugs find their way into buildings, it's common understanding that no matter who the users are (rich and famous, students, homeless, violent thugs), there's always going to be problems.

Didn't the last shooting around WSU, either last year of the year before come from Prentis?

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket_city-

I don't know whether or not it was the last shooting in the WSU vicinity, but there was a time last year--near early summer I think-- that there were alot of armed muggings and or larceny happening on the entire strip of Prentis street. Something like two to three a week.

I live off of Second and Hancock and let me tell you...you had to keep your eyes and ears open after leaving The Bronx at night, for awhile.

Some may argue, but it seems like the Prentis strip incurs more crime in a relatively small setting than other areas around Warren/Cass WSU...(that's just a assumption, i don't have the figures to verify--maybe i'm wrong! Anyone care to enlighten?)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a shooting at 2nd and alexandrine this summer....actually it wasn't a drive by, but a roll by...the shooter was on a bicycle

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was a thread about this apt building sometime last summer. It was pretty revealing about it and the area, if the two are the same place.

Edit: Just found the thread. They're not the same place.

(Message edited by E_hemingway on February 18, 2007)

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The raid was a definite step in the right direction. We heard that the cleanup was a combined effort of Detroit’s finest and Wayne county prosecutors office of drug enforcement.

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the university village that you are referring to is on hancock between 2nd & cass.

good riddance to the beethoven at 3rd + prentis- that place was a magnet for crime and drug raids. for so long that the day i saw that fence surrounding it i screamed hallelujah!

i lived on prentis for four years and never had a problem- at all. i can't say that my neighbors were so fortunate!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also lived on prentis for 4 years, and was also fortunate enough to not have an issue other than my car stereo being stolen. When i saw that there was a fence up around that cess pool recently, I screamed "F... yeah!"

the drug trade in that area is (hopefully "was" after the raid) ridiculously obvious to anyone that lived on that block

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 21, 2007)

Steelworker

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohhh Im so happy to hear that its closed. Ive had tons of stuff stolen from prentis street no doubt a by product of bethoven.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Hancock as well, and I've never felt uncomfortable along this street. Same with Prentis, except, it's a little more shady at night it seems. In fact, I'm heading that way right now.

Drugs need to find their way out of Midtown. With all the high-profile developments coming on board, persistent drug trafficking is the last thing a vibrant community needs to ruin that. I think of the Palmer Park Apartment area when I say that.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are they going to renovate this place?

Keysha313
Username: Keysha313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dpd_blue:

Who's the new owner? I'm a WSU student and I'm doing some investigation on the building for our student paper. The WSUPD said they don't know much and Apartment Finders, whose number is plastered on the side of the abandoned building, denies ever working with the property.

I'm lost,...but determined.

Any info would help...from anyone.

Steelworker

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should find out if the old owner still owns more buildings and see how well(funny)they are run.

Wsugrad
Username: Wsugrad

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is called the Beethoven, it was a drug infested building, 3 blocks from my house. I'm glad it's locked up. At the time it was cleared out, there were only about 3 tenants left. I think Scott Lowell owns it now, which means it will be converted, but most likely overpriced. There's a brown van parked in front everyday, I think it's some type of security.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Drugs need to find their way out of Midtown. With all the high-profile developments coming on board, persistent drug trafficking is the last thing a vibrant community needs to ruin that. I think of the Palmer Park Apartment area when I say that."

Maybe they should start on second and peterboro.

The same dope boys have been operating that area for FIVE years now.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck running drugs out where a college campus is!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8387
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good luck running drugs out where a college campus is!

The drug trade there is certainly not tied to WSU and an insignificant fraction is from WSU students.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think it is I go to Wayne and never see drugs I am just playing up a stereotype. The most common drug on any campus is probably just pot.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keysha313 - email me at ak8488@wayne.edu

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The person who owns Apartment Finders (Davies) also owned that apartment building. He really didn't have any chose but to sell the building or the county was going to take it as a nuisance property.

I don't know the new owners name, but it's the same guy who fixed up the building on Second just north of the Detroit Beer Co. The new owner she be easily found by checking the sale records with the county clerk.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dpd- do you mean the blackstone hotel? if so, that would put scott lowell and/or his wife as the new owners of the beehtoven.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

dpd- do you mean the blackstone hotel? if so, that would put scott lowell and/or his wife as the new owners of the beehtoven

Uh oh, I smell a boycott...

Keysha313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, everyone!

If anyone is clear on the old owner's and/or the new owner's identities, please let me know.

My email is markeysha_davis@yahoo.com.

All other information is helpful, too. As this is part of a news investigation, please specify whether you'd like to be on or off the record with your email comments.

And thank you for responding, Dpd_blue :-)

Wsugrad
Username: Wsugrad

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it's been taken over by Scott Lowell. I've heard it from good neighborhood sources.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! Detroit Boycotts.Yay!

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keysha...Isn't part of being a reporter actually doing the investigation. Why do you want everyone to hand you the information. Take this opportunity to learn how to research things and get the information for your story.

Steelworker

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with DPD blue on that.

Keysha313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being that this is a community forum, I was using this as a CONTINUING point of my investigation. I contacted the WSUPD first to see if they knew anything - no. I called the number on the building - which led me to apartment finders - they lied to me, as you all have clarified. But conversely, I know better than to trust the first person who speaks against a person or organization. The community knows what goes on so this is why I presented my question to this discussion. By no means am I relying solely on what you all tell me and by no means am I posting every little thing I find out. That would defeat the purpose of the story, which I will post when my investigation is completed.

No one is handing me anything; no one had to comment. I just asked a question and then I asked for specific info so I could fact check. For the most part, nothing said in this forum, except for the fact that the building is closed, will be used in my article. Everything else will come from my conversations with police, Davies and apartment finders, the new owners of the building, and the former residents who replied to my email, and whomever else has sufficient, valid and unanonymous information. If anything, thank you helping me get an idea of what was going on.

Thanks a million to the people who replied to my post. My email is posted if you still want to comment on the building or you or someone you know lived there. These comments, unless specified, will be "on the record" (possibly printed and attributed to you).

And Dpd, thank you for your help, especially. But considering your comment, do you really think it would be safe for a novice reporter (being myself, I have no shame in my status), to lurk around a former "crack den" with a note pad and a voice recorder looking for quotes? Not there yet; this is a college paper.

Dpd_blue

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The information your looking for does not require you to go near this building. The current owner and previous owner are all public records. This information can be attained via the internet or a quick trip to the Coleman A. Young building.

I look forward to reading your piece.

Keysha313

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The scoop on the Beethoven Apts., according to Lowell and Davies ('s attorney):

http://thesouthend.typepad.com /tsenews/2007/03/university_vi ll.html#more

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8482
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Davies was getting paid by tenants in a little blow

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This really just gets to the larger question of is the war on drugs a sham? Does anyone really believe they've done anything about the drug problem? The dealers/addicts etc. etc. will just move elsewhere and destroy another apartment complex somewhere else in the city/metro region. We need a new strategy on the war on drugs if we really want to clean things up.

Keysha313

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparty06, that's a great point.

I didn't delve into what Lowell and the other landlords are doing to prevent drug dealers from occupying buildings in this area, but it may be worth it for those interested in doing something about a suspected "crack den" to look in to strategies used by successful neighborhoods.

Some neighborhoods are more willing to take action in this city than others however. On some streets, these houses and apartments are a mainstay, and the residents won't say a thing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.