Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Snowfall total for Detroit this winter? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to find it at noaa.com but could not come up with it.

Sometimes I notice weather info will give precipitation only. I'm guessing that is snowfall converted into the equivalent of rainfall.

Also would like to see snowfall totals for the last five winter for Detroit. Is that measured at DET (Detroit City Airport) or DTW (Metro Airport)?

What is a good site to go to for such info?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snowfall is still considered precipitation, so it will be counted in the overall amount of precipitation over a given period...

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking snowfall only. I saw a 100 year average on noaa.com the other day but nothing for this winter so far. I think it said Detroit averages 42 inches of snow per winter. Average annual rainfall for Detroit is something like 32 inches. I'm not sure if 32 inches is the total precip or for rain only.

In terms of total precipitation I seem to recall Transylvania County in the western tip of NC as being the wettest place in the lower forty-eight.

The last big snowfall that I remember in Detroit happened on 2 Jan 99. At a flat non-windswept area of snowfall in Corktown where I lived at the time I measured 11 to 13 inches of snow, and it may have been compacted somewhat for sitting for a few hours.

That was the snowstorm that was followed by a couple of smaller snowfalls that Jan that made driving in residential city streets difficult.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last huge snowstorm was on December 11, 2000. We got about 18-22 inches of snow from 3:00 PM to about 8:00 AM the next morning. It continued to snow about another inch each day for 3 days. I remember this because I was off school from that tuesday-thursday. We had school the day of the storm, monday, and friday.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the end of winter, the NWS releases snowfall and temperature data for Detroit (metro airport), White Lake, and Flint (I'll try to remember to post this when it comes out in April). Somewhere on their websites are ongoing totals but I can't find it. The best I can do it keep a running total in the back of my head. We had a bunch of 1-3 inch snowfalls throughout January, and the recent storm which was officially 8.5 inches in Detroit. I would estimate 20 inches give or take so far. That is correct that Detroit's average snowfall is about 42 inches. I believe that last winter we had less than 30 inches of snow, but the winter previous to that we had over 50 inches.

You might find this year to date climate chart interesting:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cm s.php?n=DTWyeardate

You can see a line of observed temperatures (I believe they are day-to-day averages which combine high and low for the date) as compared to the normal zone, and a running total of precipation, which is above normal after rainy times to start the year, and then a steady diet of snow since. (FYI: 10" of snow usually equals 1" of precipitation). It sure is amazing how warm early January was, and how cold its been since.

This provides lots of detailed weather history for recent years: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cm s.php?n=yearsum

And here's our list of biggest snowstorms ever: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/di splay_climate.php?file=dtwsnow storms.htm

I remember that early Jan. 1999 as quite the blizzard. The snow and cold which followed really clogged up the city around the time of the auto show, and also led to the institution of the neighborhood plowing.

December 2000 was also quite snowy, if you'll remember. I remember huge snowbanks around town, and by Christmas week we had about 20" on the ground, with daily temeperatures under 10 degrees.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from left field: Can't help ya, but just in case you are looking for info on Keweenaw's snow to date check this link.

http://www.pasty.com/snow/inde x.html

The pictures are not current but it gives up to date seasonal snowfall and inches on the ground...

(Message edited by ptero on February 17, 2007)

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the total for DET so far this winter?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still can't find it. No way it's more than 2 feet. Like I said, there will be a definitive total released with the end of winter summary at that same local NWS website.

Al_t_publican

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the Detroit area newspapers used to have a daily weather list that included snowfall to date. I don't see it online at detnews.com

I'm still waiting for it to rain some more here in San Diego. Only four inches so far. Annual average is 11. With wet season Nov thru Mar it looks like a dry winter.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw , thanks for the links. I remembered the 19.3" snowstorm on December 1-2, 1974 but had forgotten that date.

We were stuck near Oakland University. It was a real problem just trying to find a place to put it all while shoveling. There was no doubt that no one was going anywhere that day!

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we won't be out of the woods until mid-April... In my mess of an office, I can't find the old News or Free Press article that I printed up--Running down the dates of this area's snowstorms... The worst on record? April 6, 1880's or 90's (I'm fairly sure about the April 6th part... Anyone want to google for the rest?) As I recall, something like 24 inches fell in less than 24 hours-- Just crippling Detroit and the surrounding area. There was a cute aside to the article: That despite the horrible conditions (remember this was horse&buggy days) Hudson's managed to open-- For like two customers. I also recall from the story, that a warm spell followed the storm's aftermath causing severe flooding in town from all the melting snow..

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20.6" since December 1, with 0.3" before that.

For the season so far, that's 11.1" below normal.

From the latest daily climate report:
http://www.weather.gov/climate /index.php?wfo=dtx

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B24Liberator,
The worst individual snowstorm on record for Detroit was April 6, 1886 with a storm total of 24.5".

B24liberator

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Clark1mt-- Glad to see that my old noodle still could retain something memory-wise!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B24liberator---Great handle, and a great plane. The 17 got most of the credit, but the Liberator got the job done.
What were you? 8th, 13th,14th??
Sorry, I hijacked the thread. But there are only 2 or 3 Liberator's still flying.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have about 30", maybe a tad less. Our frist winter up here has been an experience so far. I have seen more snow in the past month, than I have the last 10 years downstate. I love it. I snowshow every morning, such a great workout! I finally live somewhere that gets a lot of snow. I always felt jiped in the snow department down there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

30" on the ground right now? I believe it. Snowshoeing is a great experience I agree...I've done some of that in the snowdrifts around my namesake region.

To contrast our annual average snowfall of 42", most of northern Michigan receives 60 to 150 on average each season, the averages along the north shore of the UP and especially in the Keewenaw peninsula are all greater than 200" a year, with a record of something like 390".

Generally Ann Arbor and northern Oakland county receive 5-10 inches more than Detroit per year, often just because they get a tad more lake effect squalls, and because they get colder faster in rain-snow-ice storms. In certain years, when more storms pass to our south like the one last week, Detroit and points south end up with more snow than Oakland County/Flint.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C:

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the US Drought Monitor. Drought conditions don't exist in the lower peninsula but the upper peninsula is another story.
http://drought.unl.edu/dm/moni tor.html

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, stylin. The "Diamond Lil"owned by the Commerative AF. She's an old-timer, but still makes the tours.

B24liberator

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx, rock! Though I'd love to be able to regale you with tales of aerial derring-do-- I can't. Not nearly old enough! I'm afraid that I'm just another admirer of the Liberator, an under appreciated aircraft built (of course) at Willow Run-- Which happens to be this Ypsi's boy's backyard.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al_t_Publican said
"At a flat non-windswept area of snowfall in Corktown "
Pitchers mound at the old park?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.