Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pacifico's,Galligan's,Old detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone used to frequent any of these places? They were pretty much the places for the lunch crowds in the 80's downtown and funny thing is all were on beaubian.
The Grand Prix used to run right in front of them when they used to race in the streets.
That was pretty cool, working downtown during the race. Now those were crowds.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Galligan's during the 80's.

I can't talk about anything else today. ItsJeff passed and I seem stupid talking about the 80's. Sorry.

(Message edited by Dhugger on February 18, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked Pacifico.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until about a year ago, I bartended at Beaubien St. Saloon, still trying to place you as a former bartender at Pacificos. I've been a patron there since it opened.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walterwaves...Galligans was on Jefferson, not Beaubien (where Tom's Oyster is today)...great lunch menu. Used to like Old Detroit on week-ends...some great bands played there.

Jams

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beaubien and Jefferson.

Walterwaves
Username: Walterwaves

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Fordette, glad u liked my cooking.

Hey 65Memories, it was on Jefferson, but at the corner of Beaubian.

I used to work at Pacifico's in the 80's. Used to cook dinner there. Also did weekends lunches and early week lunches.
Did everything from scratch including making the pasta.
I loved that job it was tons of fun.

LOL that was my first "real job" as a kid.

I wonder if any of the old characters from there are still around?

(Message edited by walterwaves on February 19, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dhugger--I went to law school with "your boss", Owen Galligan. We graduated from dear old U of D Law together, took the Bar exam together, and it was Owen who called me and said that we had passed the Spring '64 Bar Exam!!
He was smart--bought himself a restaurant, but I went in to trial practice.

Jams

Post Number: 4846
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if any of the old characters from there are still around?

Who? Denny, Rick, Julie, Schoff, gurv, Rosie?

Once in a while.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock: I knew Owen well. May he rest in peace. Our wives were great friends and our daughters were baptized together.

As you know, he had a Masters of Law from NYU in Taxation. Yet he practiced criminal law as a prosecutor. I don't think he ever liked the practice that much.

I was practicing real estate law at the time he wanted to open Galligans and advised him i/c/w the lease of the place. I admit I tried to talk him out of doing it. Galligans got great reviews when it opened and was a great place for quite a while. I wish it had lasted a lot longer.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on February 28, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Owen was a good guy. I believe his wife's name is Betsy(?). We all lived in Lakeshore Village in SCS when we were in school together. Rent was $75 a month, now they are condos. I agree that he was happier in the restaurant world than he was in the court room.
I have not set foot in that pub since Owen passed away. Did Tom's Oyster Bar retain that beautiful, dark wooden bar that ran the length of the room? It was a gorgeous piece and I don't recall how Owen came across it in the first place.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8478
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my best 1980s memories include seeing Orange Lake Drive on Galligan's roof deck...lookin' up at the RenCen towering above us.

Might've seen Bugs Beddow's group and Alexander Zonjic there, too, but the OLD sets always trumped everyone...including MOST of the national acts of the time.

One of my grade and high school friends bounced there...went on to play in the NFL for over ten years. I think he still holds a bunch of records at Wayne State, too. I think at one time, ALL of their bouncers were Wayne footballers, at least two or three of 'em St. Alphonsus alumni!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some of my best 1980s memories include seeing Orange Lake Drive on Galligan's roof deck...

Whoa, that is a blast from the past. That band played everywhere. They were huge.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owen's wife is Betsy. She married and moved to CA. My wife has lost touch w/ her over the years. I haven't been in the place since he died either.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Met my wife at Galligans; it went through a couple of owners and remodels before Tom's took it over.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.