Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Park Bar and Bucharest Grill « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News had a write-up on Friday.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070216/E NT01/702160415/1032/ENT

Any reports on how it's doing? How's the food at the grill? Shwarma sounds good right about now.

Here's a couple of Then and Nows of that corner.

Cliff Bells

Park Bar and Bucharest Grill

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious as to why if this bar were in a movie; It would be in "The Big Lebowski". Does it look like a bowling alley in there?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to say that I am in no way surprised to see a certain dog daycare-owning forumer in a picture of the Park Bar.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this place and try to go as much as possible.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm curious as to why if this bar were in a movie; It would be in "The Big Lebowski". Does it look like a bowling alley in there?"

Maybe, someone pissed on their rug.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big Lebowski runs deep in the heart of Owner Jerry Belanger and one of his bartenders, Mike Targus, aka "The Commish."

Also included in this ardent fan club is members of the Wayne State University Undergrad Theatre Group, past and present.

I went to school with both of them, and let me tell you, it was a rare week that someone wasn't having a White Russian/Big Lebowski showing at one of our apartments.

Can't say if the bar was specifically designed/interpreted with the movie as inspiration but i think The Dude would approve.

Nothing but love for Jerry, The Commish and the Park Bar...my home away from home.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the premier of The Big Lewbowski in L.A.
30 minutes after leaving the theatre we were sitting at the same bowling alley, in the same seat, ordering the same drink........ a caucasian.
Truely a surreal moment.
"The Dude abides"

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This aggression will not stand, man.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11286
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Safety factor: Downtown Detroit. Well lit, but be cautious.

Please tell me that they aren't going to start listing a safety factor with each bar review!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that could be a good idea to help attract suburbanites. perhaps the owners asked that it be included in the article, to help with common misperceptions.

although i doubt they're going to say 'wear a bulletproof vest' or 'bring an AK and 2 extra clips' either, are they? i suppose it ruins the point if you're not going to say when it's a not-so safe part of town.

(yes, i'm exaggerating with those statements.)

Supersport

Post Number: 11287
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, a dangerous bar would have like a 4 AK47 rating?

4_AK's

Supersport

Post Number: 11288
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 Ak's and a vest designation for afterhours clubs on 8 mile?

4aks_vest

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

supersport, i literally laughed out loud at that. :-)

I do like that this appeared now, when FSC is there this week. it gives me an idea of what to expect, should i be able to make it. i don't make it down there very often, in fact i'm not much of one to go out at all, actually, so this helps ease some apprehension.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.