Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » A little O/T - EMU and other similar state schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, try this one. Instead of the one I originally had!!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070219/SCHOOLS/702190375

Nice charts on enrollment over time and graduation figures. Pretty informative - especially graduation percentages.

EMU enrollments slides some; CMU grows significantly while WMU peaked in '02 and is really backsliding now and GVSU is in a huge growth spurt.

I went to the WSU website and got their enrollment data.

Excellent data!! Much of it is 10-year longitudinal data.

I suppose the two best measures for a university is credit hours attempted and degrees awarded.

WSU's credit hours has gone from 290K to 336K from '97 to '06, a 15.8% increase. The increase from '00 to '06 has been linear and upward.

Very impressive.

(Message edited by emu_steve on February 19, 2007)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your link takes me to a DetNews story about the Tigers and pitching.

(Message edited by Crew on February 19, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of Grand Valley's recent growth comes at the expense of the other commuter school in that part of the State: Western. Is this really the way to run a Publicly funded university program? There should be some consolidation among State sponsored universities. Too much duplication and not enough outreach.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Crew:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070219/S CHOOLS/702190375

Let it be known, I'm a Tiger fan so I did the wrong copy and paste here.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this quote interesting. Another reason to hate Granholm.

quote:

Eastern has gone the longest among state universities -- 11 years -- without a major state-funded capital project...

...In a final blow to Eastern, Gov. Jennifer Granholm vetoed a capital funding projects bill in December that included long-awaited money to renovate Pray-Harold, an old classroom building [EMU's main classroom building built in the 1960 w/o renovations].

[Former R-State Rep. Shirley] Johnson hoped Eastern, which she thought had suffered enough from the fallout from the house project, would get the funds.

"We put them (school officials) through the ringer, and the auditor general put them through the ringer and then the governor vetoed the whole thing," she said.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did Granholm veto that capital funding bill?

Which other schools got hurt?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu and the Nerd, the State is broke. You don't see any new building going on where there is not a defined funding stream. Most often, school buildings are built with bonds, and the State is getting close to the point where the bonds floated under Engler have strangled the ability for anything new to be done. Maybe they can move the classrooms into the mansion that EMU built on the site of the torn down Clearly College campus?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner is right about some of GVSU's growth coming at the expense of WMU. but he is VERY wrong by calling Western a commuter school.

I don't favor consolidation as a good option. There's just so many things wrong with treating a university like you would an underperforming factory that I don't even know where to start with that. Costs, student experience, quality of education... just a few areas that schools differ, which is exactly as it should be.

Westerns enrollment decline looks bad on that chart, however, keep in mind that the increase before that was setting record numbers for the university. if you added the previous 10 years to the chart, the peak itself would look like the anomaly.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Scott, WMU's enrollment looks more like a stock market graph then an enrollment graph.

Big run up and then a 'correction'.

Enrollments should be fairly smooth and incremental and not subject to the big spikes that WMU and GVSU had.

Wonder if GVSU will have problems with their big growth?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It IS a commuter school for those that live in GR!

Scottr

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i almost made that comparison to the stock market myself, steve!

i beg to differ, dp, that's about an hour drive! commuter schools draw from about 15-30 minutes away. it's not realistic for a full-time college student to drive more than that on a daily basis. are there some that do? sure. you'll have people do similar things at any university. but it's a small minority, and not nearly enough to call it a commuter school.

most students i knew when i went there were not even from the west side of the state, never mind close enough for a commute.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott, my rationale:

44 Miles from 28th Street to M-43 along 131.

30 minutes would not even get you from most of the outlying metro to Wayne State (the poster child). It typically took me an hour to get to EMU when I was commuting there.

Speeds are much higher out there as it is more rural, you can figure an average drive of 50 mph. 60 Mile Circles around the campuses and there isan apporoximate idea of the commuter distances. Lots of overlap occurs.

Is tuition less at GVSU than at Western? I bet it is! Just checked it, unless Western has a lot of add ons, it is less expensive!

Do More people live in GR area than in K-zoo?

If I lived in GR and GVSU developed more facilities that better met my needs would I drive to K-zoo for college? Nope!

GVSU is just being pro-active in the flat economy. This is human geography at work.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on February 19, 2007)

Scottr

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, You actually reminded me of those higher speeds on 131, heading back to kzoo from GR at about 85 mph (65mph limit at the time) and looked up to see a state cop in my rearview. he just pulls alongside, motions to me to slow down, and goes on to the next car to do the same. scared the hell out of me, cause not everything in my car was exactly (or remotely) legal. i miss those days, but i did some really stupid things...

It may be theoretically possible, but i really don't think many people would commute that far out there, at least not your traditional 18-23 year old full-time student. The Detroit area may be a different story, but I don't see someone commuting from GR any more than I see someone from here in Flint commuting to East Lansing. More likely, students are choosing to commute to GVSU while living at home, instead of paying the room and board at WMU.

I too was surprised to see GVSU with such higher tuition rates. I fully expected Western was higher. I don't think it's the facilities, WMU has built a new engineering campus, a health and human services campus (the old asylum), and a couple new science buildings. they definitely haven't been sitting on their thumbs letting the campus fall apart or become outdated.

By the way, my major at Western was Geography, specializing in Urban and Regional Planning.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU geography and Urban Studies undergrad
EMU geography grad school (I did the commute for 2 reasons, I took all the grad school classes at wayne as an undergrad, and the cheap credit hours at EMU)

Scottr

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I unfortunately lasted only one year out there (those 'stupid things' caught up to me quick), but i'm going back to school now, and i might still end up in the field. But keeping my options open.

I definitely understand taking the cheap credit hours - worth the commute, if you can afford the time.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 538
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close some state schools!! Michigan has too many!

Scottr

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would we close them? I could understand combining some, for example, running GVSU as WMU-Grand Valley, to save some on administrative costs. But the last thing this state needs to do right now is reduce educational opportunities.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing we have to understand is that the enrollment increase universities around the country have been seeing is largely due to the second wave of baby-boomers (the baby boomer's kids). This second wave enrollment is coming to an end in the next few years and most schools, including the best and most prestigious, will start seeing enrollment declines too.

As someone who interacts with EMU admin and profs on a regular basis, there is a definite positive turn around happening there. Give it a year or two as Freman said and they'll be back on the right track.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu Steve, I just realized your from Eastern. I think you already graduated though? I'm still here. My e-mail is Jwagne14@emich.edu if you're still here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.