Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ferndale... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it improving, staying the same, or getting worse...

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the previous wording of this thread over on Connections better.

quote:

Is Ferndale improving, staying the same, or going down?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferndale is getting better for singles and getting worse for traditional families. The new business on 9 Mile and the more liberal attitude is a plus for hipsters, gays and the like, especially since Royal Oak is so expensive.

At the same time, the school district is pretty bad and getting worse, and there is noticable white flight, especially in the public schools.

Also, despite it's (wildly exaggerated) reputation as a gay mecca, Ferndale is still pretty laid-back and small-town. It resembles Hazel Park more than glamorous locales in larger cities.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Entering my 7th year in the city. (knocking on wood) To date no problems with crime or even attempted crime. Downtown is walkable (at least for this area) clean with lots to do. Not having kids I can't speak regarding the schools. When you say the school district is "pretty bad" what do you mean? MEAP scores and the like? I like it and won't move until I need a bigger house but I'll probably look to stay in the city. White flight? I wouldn't go that far, I bet the city is only slightly less white than Howell. Seriously. Besides Mayor Porter speaks highly of our diversity and I believe everything he tells me. :-)

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In terms of Michigan's economic position Ferndale seems to be holding its own. I think Ferndale should start to focus its developmental monies North/ South on Woodward and eventually east to Hilton.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read an article about how MEAP scores in Ferndale have increased from the low-70% to the high-80% in three years.

In addition, the arts programs in Ferndale schools are certainly holding their own, particularly the band program, which has had state champion marching bands for the last three years.

The district just completed a massive renovation of its middle & high school complex.

I would argue the Ferndale schools are going up, not down. Ferndale is definitely improving. And what's wrong with a diverse student body? Absolutely nothing.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the grand scheme of things, I know it is cliche to say this, but Ferndale is going to get worse before it gets better.

3-4 years ago, it was 'the' place for commercial and residential real estate investments. Developers were banking on a downtown Ferndale that will rival Royal Oak Main Street between Lincoln and 12 Mile.

Within the past 6-12 months or so, unfortunately, things have begun to turn negative. The economy is probably the root of the problem. 9 Mile between Hilton and Livernois is still relatively O.K. for now, but Woodward between Marshall up to Pleasant Ridge isn't exactly as hot as it was expected to be.

My opinion is strictly from the real estate's perspective. In a lot of cases, it can be an accurate predictor of problems. I hope things change real soon around here before more businesses close their doors resulting in vacant commercial buildings and more people lose their homes to foreclosures.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a problem exclusive to Ferndale - Ann Arbor has the greatest number of empty storefronts I have seen in over 20 years

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of two on South University, one on the upper part of State Street, and another down by State and Packard. I can't think of anything on Main Street. Of course there's more to A2 that these streets but I'm assessing the major streets. If this is as bad as its been in 20 years, then that's great.

Detsterdale
Username: Detsterdale

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well..being new to the forum AND to the City of Ferndale, I would like to say hello to everyone here. I've actually read in the Woodward Talk not too long ago that Ferndale City Council approved zoning for a condo development just off of Hilton & Woodward Heights. Also, there are two new shopping plazas being built on Hilton as well. I think those are positive signs about the eastern part of the city.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since more Homosexuals came to occupy the nice beautiful neighborhoods. I say the Ferndale is really improved in the last 10 years.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5567
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford,

You were right about Ferndale Public Schools. Some the schools building experienced a student explosion of Black-folks. Even through most of them came the dead broke TWP. of Royal Oak. Most white families are slowly their kids out of their district. The rest of you all can check the factual data on schooldigger.com.

For example The students who attend Ferndale High School in 2005 were 48% black and 48% white almost 50/50. By 2010 The student population of Ferndale High School would be 65% black and 31% white.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Ferndale.. but not as much as I used to! I have a house that won't sell.. and so do hundreds of other people in the city. So why do they continue to build new condos and townhouses? Its a great place to live.. but the housing market is VERY discouraging.. especially for those of us who NEED to sell.

Sorry for the rant.. but having the house on the market for almost a year is a big drag!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the moment Ferndale has roughly 600 houses for sale...Thats rough if you are a seller and great if you are a buyer...It speaks to the depressing economy of Michigan.
Good to hear about the plazas being built on Hilton. I also heard that a large mall type structure is going to be built on a portion of the state fair grounds.

Sorry to hear miketeevee about not being able to sell your house...My wife and i just bought one in Ferndale. Its a great time to be a buyer and a bad time to be a seller. Have you looked into renting your house?

Detsterdale
Username: Detsterdale

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with Defendbrooklyn. Good time to be a buyer right now as I have benefitted from that. Where is your house located, miketeevee?

Mckrackin
Username: Mckrackin

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

property value in metro detroit has dropped 10% in the last year amd expected to drop more. My home in Ferndale, that was appraised at 158,000 three years ago is now only at 129,000. Fortunately I have no intention of selling it anytime soon, would rather keep it and rent it out. As to business outlook, personally the day Ferndale starts to look like Royal Oak, is the day I run for my life.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quick informal survey tonight for Mackinaw: 300 block of North Main to 600 block of South Main, Ann Arbor - ground level office/retail ~ 13 empty, 4 with work in progress after being vacated, 1 I wasn't sure about

and I know there are vacancies on the cross streets, too - noticed Dinersty gone the other day & I remember when that place was so packed you had to wait for a seat

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I need to take a walk. 13 empties seems a bit steep, but the economy does suck and I can believe it I guess.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't comment about housing prices but as far as schools they are going through the same downsizing as the rest of the inner-rings. Lack of enrollment/funds has caused some closings. I believe a lot of the libraries now operate with constricted hours. As for general safety/appearence it has not changed much since '93. However I can't really speak for the whole city as I am only famililar with the south-east side. 8 to 10 mile woodward to hilton

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8381
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I also heard that a large mall type structure is going to be built on a portion of the state fair grounds.

You've heard it because it is continually talked about. I have zero faith in this actually happening.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you live, Beavis? My fiance and I just moved to Hilton and E. Webster a few months ago. A few of the neighbors are fairly annoying, but overall we love it out here.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for being miss leading but I live in north oakland county. My friend used to live at hilton and channing? just south of the railroad tracks. The house I visit is within walking distance from the stop and go.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, gotcha. Right down the street from us.

Beavis1981

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW- If you ever have a craving for a FRESH pizza at 3:00 in the morning I highly recammend the stop and go!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mckrackin...If Ferndale turns into a royal oak it will be a shame...however, for the lucky homeowners it will be a blessing. Home values would shoot up which in turn generates more tax money for the city. Of course I want my home value to rise dramatically but I don’t want Ferndale to become absolute cheese. If Ferndale is fortunate enough to grow, as a new resident, I would hope the city wisely invested it’s newly acquired tax revenues…Time will tell

A major disappointment within Ferndale is its library...I must say after living in NY and MA this is the worst library i have ever seen. What’s going on?

Also, for all the folks that mention school problems...what exactly are you talking about? Low test scores do not indicate too much...Statistics can be manipulated to say just about anything...When judging a school one needs to look at the student population and the families that provide the population...Generally speaking, how poor is the schools avg. students and how great is the schools best students...What i'm trying to say is that if you send your child to a school he/she is going to intellectually perform about as well as his/her peers. If you surround a child with idiots he/she will do his/her best to fit in; If you surround a child with genius’ likewise. I know other factors come in to play but as a basic rule it’s true.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you going to compare the Ferndale Library to the NY Public Library system? Come on now.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defendbrooklyn:

Vote for the Library millage this year, and your complaints wont last for long. The library board has a lot of plans for our little library!

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All i'm trying to say is that Ferndale's public library is pathetic. Why has it been neglected for so long? In MA libraries were well funded and taken care of. They served the community and allowed people to check out any book imaginable and see a wide variety of creative (non Hollywood) movies... It appears that Ferndale does not put too much money into supporting its cultural/intellectual center.

Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote will be made!
Don't get me wrong...i'm all about trying to improve Ferndale and make it a better community. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary...

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop and Go pizza rules. So do the slices at the Hilton-9 liquor store.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defendbrooklyn asked about my house:
It's a block north of 9 Mile between Hilton and I-75.. a few blocks from Hazel-tucky (written with much affection). I've looked into renting.. but I'd much rather sell.. especially since I got married last year and we don't really want to be landlords. But if it comes to that I will have to bite the bullet.

Its funny... I moved into my wife's Royal Oak house.. and the city services stink! Ferndale's services are top notch. Get this: I grew up in Detroit.. lived in Ferndale for 5 years.. and I never saw a rat near my home until I moved to Royal Oak! Nice, huh?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former long time resident of Pleasant Ridge, I agree with the Ferndale library-it was built in l958 and hasn't changed since I was a kid.
Pleasant Ridge was spared the neighsaying that said it would turn into another "Boston Edison District" when I-696 was put through. I almost think the houses are overvalued. But it's true, the school situation is bad. I imagine a lot of families put their kids into the schools of choice program. Or else they move away when the kids are about l0 years old.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defend Brookly visit Huntington Woods or Southfield libraries, they are much nicer. Ive been here in Ferndale for about 4years now and like its centrality.Not to far east or west, the city is split by the Woodward corridor. Im not sure I would describe the city as liberal. Overall it is a clean safe city. Had to call the police on several occassions and they arrived extremely fast. I seen some guys trying to steal a truck on Marshall and the fuzz was there in less than a minute.i predict more white flight as the school racial makeup changes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.