Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Is anyone else still boycotting Traffic Jam? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cuz the parking battle with the Motor City Brewery has gotten even worse.
I know it's been discussed on this forum before, but they've got a rent-a-cop - complete with shiny fake badge - out making sure nobody parks on the Traffic Jam's side of the easement.
And the guy's a total dick about it, too. It would be one thing if he said, "I'm sorry, but you'll have to move your car." He just yells, "Can't park there! Move it now!"
Anyway, all of this would be fine if the TJ was busy and needed the space. But sometimes the TJ is closed at the time or maybe has one or three cars in that huge parking lot.
Word on the street is that Mr. TJ is angry that MCB is selling food, which he sees as competition. There's been a long and drawn-out fight for a while now.
This is too bad. I used to go to the Traffic Jam on a fairly regular basis, but once I learned about what he was doing... I know dozens of others who have stopped going to his businesses, as well. I'm sure the amount of our lost business palls in comparison to how much he has to pay Short McLargehuge, the parking cop.
Anyway, Mr. TJ also owns part of the Bronx and Cliff Bell's. It's hard for me to quit CB's, though. Sigh. At least he's only a part-owner in that one.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still in effect for me.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and me.

Wsugrad
Username: Wsugrad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will never set foot in one his places again.

The food at TJ's is crap, the Bronx will give you second hand smoke cancer.

Also, I heard S.L. got permission to wall off the alleys at Second and Forest by the buildings he owns - you know, the historic Dally alleys?? Anyone know for sure?

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And me. Just had a run-in with the rude rent-a-cop two weeks ago...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will never set foot in one his places again.

Yeah, I hear ya... except Cliff Bell's. I can't quit you, Cliff Bell's! Damn.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been to the bronx once or twice... paul's a good guy

as far as the parking lot guy is concerned, he's worked there for YEARS, well before this squabble came about, and i'd be frustrated too if I was the lone dude on the front line of SL's petty turf war

btw, there is already a pretty large thread on this in the archives somewhere.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 22, 2007)

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just went into traffic jam last week, thought is was interesting and unique.

i will always support both places

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, boycott an establishment due to a dispute that is between two owners that has zero effect on the customers besides the fact that they are forced to get a little exercise. The potential results being that the establishments go out of business. I thought the point was to support Detroit businesses and that we wanted Detroit to make a comeback. Sure the argument is petty, but it should be up to the owners to deal it out.

Don’t take it out on the security guard who is only doing his job.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, there is already a pretty large thread on this in the archives somewhere.

I know, and I said that. I was asking if anyone was STILL boycotting. hehe Rage against the TJ machine!

And just because I don't want to see the TJ become another vacant building, doesn't mean I have to support a guy who is a jerk face.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

hehe Rage against the TJ machine!

your enthusiasm is simultaneously encouraging and offputting

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=10181

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11307
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just charge $2 to park in the lot and let whoever wants to park there, park there. There is street park, so those who don't wanna pay, won't. I doubt that too many people wouldn't be willing to pony up $2 when a beer at either establishment will cost them about double that. In addition, TJ's owner has an added income to help cover his expenses for maintaining the lot and other related costs.

Wsugrad

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's important to remember that is about a lot more than a parking lot - it's a david/goliath standoff. SL is a bully, a liar, and if you think his interests are altruistic or Detroit driven - you are wrong. He's the Mike Ilitch of the cass corridor. $5 for a bowl of cream of broccoli soup? COME ON!!! I appreciate some of his efforts, but I can't support anyone whose out to hurt a place called "THE MOTOR CITY BREWERY"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, anybody who opens a business with the intention of making Detroit a better place vs. making a successful living is an idiot.

And if you think charging $5 for a bowl of soup makes him the "Mike Ilitch" of the Cass Corridor then I think you really need to up your meds.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will continue to support both TJ and Motorcity. Both are great Detroit businesses. The disagreement is theirs, not mine, so I will let them work it out.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I go to Motorcity Brewery I will park in the street. If I go to the Traffic Jam I will park in their lot. The TJ is not the first business to restrict parking to their customers on their parking lot especially in a city.

Wsugrad

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster - relax and try to figure out the metaphor (hint: it isn't just about a single bowl of soup)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a Hint from Heloise right back atcha: It's not a very good metaphor.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, anybody who opens a business with the intention of making Detroit a better place vs. making a successful living is an idiot.

Not if profit isn't your top priority. If you own three restaurants, for example, you'd think you wouldn't be greedy enough to bully a young entrepeneur.
Look, they have to drive through the parking lot to get to the brewery. No way around it. So if you're open, don't let them use your parking lot. If you're closed, WHO THE HELL CARES?
The irony in all of this, of course, is that Bronx customers are parking in the laundromat lot across the street from the Bronx. That's not the Bronx's parking lot...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't the kiddies just split the cost of the damn lot?

Does TJ ever fill it up? If not, sell 1/2 the spaces to the brewery and split the cost to operate the lot.

Done.

If TJ routinely fills up the lot and brewery customers are taking spaces for TJ customers, then I suppose that plan wouldn't work.

I can't possibly see how the brewery has a case here.....

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I THINK that the problem lies with MCB starting to sell sandwiches and wanting to add more food. Mr. TJ doesn't want competition across the street, so he's trying to pinch MCB. If I recall, the rent-a-cop didn't show up in the lot until MCB added sammiches. But I might be wrong on it all. Just theorizing.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I suggest spending your time at the THE MOTOR CITY BREWERY drinking beer or at Traffic Jam & Snug rather than wasting 1's and 0's at the detroityes.com.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you mention it: I'm headed to MCB right now. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.