Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Beatles 8mm footage Olympia Stadium Detroit 1964 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is beautiful. Was anybody there that night ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNh ayiHGtEI

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're singing "All My Loving"

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two of my friends were there. They both said the same thing--they SAW the beatles, they couldn't HEAR the Beatles, all they could hear was girls screaming. This before we had a wall of Marshall amps stacked high.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those walls of amps are usually just props. It's all about the house PA in most places.

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think that they would have mastered the whole PA thing by now, but a quick trip to DTE reminds us otherwise.

Olympia was a stepping stone between the Windsor Arena and Joe Louis I take it?

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooh, thanks for this! too young to have been alive then...
can anyone tell what kind of guitar George is playing? looks like maybe a Gretsch or Epiphone...they always had the coolest gear.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My babysitter, ha - had tickets and someone stole them - they shook up every smaller kid on the street!

Cklwbig8

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

superaygun...george was using a Gretsch during this period.

Cklwbig8

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vox starting making bigger and higher wattage amps for their next tours a year later or so.
Their influence was HUGE !!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9236
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It didn't matter. The Beatles packed the house to a constantly screaming audience...the girls never shut up.
Even their second last show on the planet at Shea stadium, they couldn't hear themselves. As a matter of fact The Beatles wree never really a concert band (discounting the Cavern days). They really shined when they wre in the studio.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traxus, in 1964 there was no Joe Louis Arena. Olympia was a 16,700 seat house. It was BIG

(Message edited by PSIP on February 23, 2007)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some excellent information about Olympia
http://hockey.ballparks.com/NH L/DetroitRedWings/oldindex.htm

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went with my best friend Paula. I don't think my hearing has ever been the same. Couldn't really hear them singing, but we could see them, I guess that was what mattered!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end of the screaming era to me was on the Stones Live version of Midnight Rambler. Girls screeching Mick Mick Mick before the song starts, and it ending with Mick saying Im going to stick my Knife right down your throat and that hurts.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the first screening of The Beatles movie at the Mai Kai and it was almost like the concert. You couldn't hear the soundtrack for the screaming. It was fun.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, does anyone know if the sound is 'live' from the show and synchronized with the film, or if it's dubbed from something like the Hollywood Bowl lp? I wonder what other concert snippets are on 8mm and finally coming to light? On the non-concert 8mm tip, anyone see the "new" JFK 'last ride' footage, shot from close proximity to his car? It was on the news last week.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traxus-Olympia was THE stadium in Detroit prior to the Joke Louis arena (no disrespect to Mr. Louis or his accomplishments, just the mediocrity of thought that went into the design of the JLA)

here's all you could want to know about Olympia:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ ampage?collId=hhphoto&fileName =mi/mi0100/mi0185/photos/brows e.db&action=browse&recNum=0&ti tle2=Olympia%20Arena,%205920%2 0Grand%20River%20Avenue,%20Det roit,%20Wayne%20County,%20MI&d isplayType=1&itemLink=r?ammem/ hh:@FIELD(DOCID+@BAND(@lit(MI0185)))

(Message edited by 56packman on February 24, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.