Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sales tax could be waived at Cobo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The executive of Wayne County Robert Ficano proposals a waived 6% tax at Cobo Center purchases and shopping for back-to school items.
The waived tax can give familes a break and attract more conventions to Cobo.
Links
Free Press
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070223/NEW S02/702230342/1001
Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/M ETRO/702230393/1006/METRO01
Fox 2 WJBK
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/Home/Detail?contentI d=2473432&version=2&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1. 1

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to buy my new car AT the Auto Show!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Somehow I don't see this happening, though.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea. Sales tax abatements are a great idea. I'm pretty sure other cities do this to spur consumption. My idea would be no sales tax for purchases made in the C of D during December, to spur holiday shopping in Detroit.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, because we all know that Detroit and the State of Michigan just have too much damn tax revenue floating around.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most expensive thing I've ever bought at Cobo is an ice cream sandwich so this proposal would have saved me about 12 cents

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Mackinaw's idea, perhaps expanded to a couple other struggling cities, like Flint. Unfortunately, Danindc has a good point, we as a state really can't afford to lose that revenue at this point.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good sales tax freeze could jump start an entire market, and thus negate future revenue concerns. Level the playing field between Detroit and suburban malls...get more retailers downtown (and more shoppers)...then go from there. You can do this by cutting all taxes, state and city, in general, not just sales tax. Create an expansion, and then capture lost revenue later when there is more economic activity to tax.

This state can afford to lose revenue, because it can also afford to cut spending. Stop building new roads, stop giving scholarships to rich kids who can afford college anyway (the MEAP merit scholarship is what I'm talking about--the state has NO business giving merit based scholarships to people who can already afford college), then talk to me about why we need to preserve our current revenue stream.

When I was going to Wayne State I was on a scholarship, yet the state was still writing me checks that would total $2,500 just because I passed the f***ing MEAP test--anyone who gets into any college passes the MEAP test, yet the state gives this $$ to all students. It should only be giving these monies to low-income students, for whom the money could make or break whether or not they go to college. I was going to college regardless of the money, and had the scholarship, so I pocketed the money, or used it for books or gas. That's one example of a stupid state expenditure. But now J-Gran is pardoning criminals to shrink the prison system, but still giving out scholarships to kids from Rochester and Bloomfield just because they passed the easiest test on earth.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the state can't afford to lose any revenue at this point. There is an army of bureaucrats in Lansing that need EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PENNY that they can possibly suck from the working people of Michigan.

So, any creative thinking to help slow Michigan's economic rocket blast down the shitter, is, well, completely uncalled for.

(Message edited by Futurecity on February 23, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.