Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Just an observation about Detroit Cuisine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't eat out that much as I try to watch what I put in my body, but I took the advice of one of the threads down the way and had a western omelette at Louies on Harper & Cadieux. The omelette was alright but I couldn't get over that there was about pound of ham in the thing, lucky for me I ordered with no cheese or I am sure I would be in the cardiac ward right now. I also was amused that you couldn't get egg beaters there either. I just mention this because every year Detroit ranks up there as one of the unhealthiest and fattest cities in the U.S., is there any wonder why? Is there any place in Detroit where you can get a healthy meal anymore?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Nowhere. Not one establishment in Michigan serves egg beaters or, for that matter, anything not deep fried.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get an eggbeaters omelette at at least two places I've been and go to regularly...Harvard Grille off Mack in Grosse Point (detroit boder), and Little Daddy's out at Woodward and Long Lake.

You can get egg whites in just about everyplace...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol higgs. i like the way you roll...

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No. Nowhere. Not one establishment in Michigan serves egg beaters or, for that matter, anything not deep fried."

Good! Michigan is a man's state. If you want tofu then go out to San Fran. If you can't deal with the cold go to Hawaii. If you want diets and underpants that suit sensative skin then by all means, go to California.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it Louie's Ham World you went to? Was the logo of a grinning pig? And there was ham in it? Shocking.

You can get a healthy meal at almost any restaurant in Detroit that doesn't have the word "ham" in the name.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm semi just joking around. I'm sure there are plenty of good places to eat healthy food. Is there Whole Foods in Michigan. They sometimes have restaurants.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're trying to be health conscious, I recommend the Hunter House.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too bad they plowed Ham Heaven under....that was pretty health conscious....

Rogerjab

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon now, there's plenty of places in the area outside of the "D" where you can get a healthy breakfast, eating like and looking like a pig has nothing to do with being a man although it has a lot to do with being out of shape and stupid. I mean one of the most popular posters here died of a heart attack a few days ago, and I know he frequented more than a few Detroit restaurants. Dennis Johnson the Boston Celtic blew up like a blimp and died of a heart attack at 52. Eating good healthy food has nothing to do with being masculine, but eating bad will put you in an early grave.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eating fried chicken and waffles drenched in maple syrup with a side of bacon has EVERYTHING to to with being masculine. You are simply talking crazy.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hambone's at Gratiot Central Market is also a good place for some lean cuisine.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think i saw a low-fat bran muffin at Starbuck's once.

It looked pretty old, though.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL,very good Higgs, 10 posts on this site and I think I'm becoming one of you guys!

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Indian and/or Mediterranean restaurants offer some (I said some, not all) dishes that aren't deep-fried or too nasty for your health. Whole Foods in Troy has everything you'd need, including a massive deli and pre-made food counters. But in the D, you just have to be smart and patient with the menu.

If they serve vegetables, ask if they're cooked in a ton of butter, like they do in a lot of places. See if you can get them steamed. Get steamed rice instead of fried rice, etc. This is all really common sense if you're trying to watch cholesterol, etc.

And if you're not, head to Mario's for the filet. Hells yes.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For breakfast, even though it's a greasy spoon, Zeff's in Eastern Market has a good Egg-white Vegetarian Omelet

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally about Mediterranean food, You can go to many places in Dearborn, Oak Park ( Sahara) and Windsor (El Mayor-try the appetizer platter 29.00 cdn-excellent very healthy, feeds 2-3) that have extremely good and healthy food thats quite inexpensive. Give it a try,,

(Message edited by DetroitBill on February 23, 2007)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I joke that people in Detroit will eat anything - as long as it's breaded, deep-fried and smothered in gravy or barbecue sauce.
On the Louie's tip though - I love that place. The trick is to get a big omelette carryout and consider it to be all three meals for the day.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think bringing up our recent loss as an example for your argument is despicable.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just mention this because every year Detroit ranks up there as one of the unhealthiest and fattest cities in the U.S., is there any wonder why? Is there any place in Detroit where you can get a healthy meal anymore?"

Poverty seems to have a huge effect on people being fat. Not everybody can take the Audi out to Whole Foods and buy the best or healthiest food. Poor people generally don't eat too well. Most traditional black food isn't very healthy, but it does taste great. People got the shit to work with and they made it taste good. It was unhealthy by the end but still tasty.

I don't know of any specific restaurants but again, try Whole Foods. They opened one up on the east side of Milwaukee and my family shops there. They have a couple good restaurants inside with healthy foods. You could also try Trader Joes. That has healthy food.

As for Detroit cuisine, its just part of the culture. Milwaukee is a brat and polish city. They aren't "healthy" for you, but they taste great and are a tradition. If you don't want to eat um then don't, but don't ruin the fun for others. Sorry if I came off as a jerk in this post or my earlier ones.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are plenty of restaurants in Detroit where you can find healthy food. I am a vegetarian and I found something I could eat at all of these places: Baile Corcaigh, Slows, Traffic Jam, Sala Thai, Roma Cafe, DIA's cafeteria, Majestic Cafe.

For breakfast skip the eggs and go for cereal.

(Message edited by Pam on February 23, 2007)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For breakfast skip the eggs and go for cereal.

"Budweiser is brewed using rice, barley malt, water, hops and yeast" :-)

Mhc
Username: Mhc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had an amazing meal at an Ethiopian place on the east side of Southfield Rd. (in a strip mall), just before 13 Mile (??). I think it's all vegetarian there; the stuff was delicious..

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as Michigan being "a man's state" goes. Wasn't Bo Schembecler a "Michigan man?" Look what happened to him. Now I love Michigan, I love faty, greasy, sweet food and I even loved Bo. Point is that I'd rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Life is short, eat well!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you want diets and underpants that suit sensative skin then by all means, go to California."

Ha! Some folks need to get out of the midwest more often! In the burger Mecca of LA, besides the food of a thousand different places, you can enjoy a Tommy's Chiliburger, at least half a cup of liquified beef fat in every serving... And in certain neighborhoods, Street vendors serve delicious home made lard-laden tamales.
Of course, pointing your land ship towards Santa Monica, pricer places serve rabbit food for the health-obsessed.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey isn't this a Detroit forum? A lot of the responses I get from here are for restaurants in the suburbs. Detroit cuisine is generally a fried meat or breaded deep fried meat cuisine, it's sad and unhealthy and speaks volumes on why the city is in the shape it's in.

Who ever told me it's despicable that I brought up the death of a 42 year old poster of a heart attack is not looking at the real cause of the problem. People shouldn't have heart attacks at 42 unless they have some congenital defect, I'm guessing the poor guy died because of the dietary and life style choices he was making, and that's sad, I wish he was informing me of the great many healthy, reasonable, restaurant alternatives that Detroit has to offer today.

To the folks that offered honest alternatives to eating in Detroit I thank you, but there are a lot of people here that have never visited another big city in their life, they just don't eat like this in other thriving cities. Detroit needs to wake up, and apparently a few people on this forum also, I believe you're whistling past the graveyard.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been reading this thread and thought it to rediculous to respond. However, Rogerjab--you are very shortsighted and naive. Detroit has as large a variety of restaurants as any other city. When choosing to dine at a restaurant, they have these marvelous things called menus. From that source, you can pick and choose what you would like to eat. Christ, even McDonalds has a salad.
Also, you obviously don't have a lot of medical experience. To presume what causes death without having any information is absurd.
Your point of eating well has merit but your statements above are juvenile. And, no where in your statements do you mention exercise which is probably more important to being fit than your diet. I am guessing here, but I think the main reason people are overweight is the lack of it.
Rogerjab--perhaps if you walked more and drove less, you could eat one of those ham and cheese omelets without having to worry about keeling over.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually Jjw you have no idea what you're talking about. On the personal side I've run 8 marathons and lift 5 times a week. If you knew anything about staying fit you would know that nutrition is at least 70 to 80 percent of the battle. As far as heart disease goes unless you have some congenital defect it really shouldn't be a problem, if you WATCH WHAT YOU EAT, exercise, and also don't smoke.

I'm saying that there are not a lot of options in this city compared to other cities, and yes a lot of that has to do with lack of education like yours, who think that all they have to do is walk around the block and they can eat whatever they want, and you call me juvenile?

There's a reason why this town is continually the fattest and most out of shape in the nation. To people that think all the options are even available at McDonalds, I am just flabbergasted.

Out of all your bluster you've yet to give me one reasonably priced restaurant in the city that offers reasonable options,possibly egg beaters for breakfast, or a salad bar, or fruit option, no I don't mean a quarter pounder without the cheese.

(Message edited by rogerjab on February 24, 2007)

(Message edited by rogerjab on February 24, 2007)

Rogerjab

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Diehard I love your Louie's tip on getting the omelette carry out and splitting it into 3 meals. I just wish I wouldn't have gone in so hungry, great tip though.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, let's find something new to bash Detroit about...

There are many options in Midtown, as have been mentioned, including my favorite, Cass Cafe, also not yet mentioned American Masala. Sizl'n'Spice on Monroe is another.

Can't give too many suggestions since in my pursuit of health I try to monitor what I eat by cooking it MYSELF, not blaming others for their poor menu choices. I have never eaten a coney or visited a place with ham in the name.

There are wonderful options for healthy ingredients from Eastern Market (produce) and the stores around, Rafal Spice Co. is unparalleled for its selection and price, Rocky's has every kind of dried fruit or nut you could ever need--in bulk. Avalon Bakery in Midtown has beautiful organic breads. Even my local grocery store, University Foods has greatly increased their selection of organics and healthier foods.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mack for the suggestions. I am not trying to bash, I am trying to find good healthy alternatives in a city that's filled with a lot of bad ones. I love the city, I just don't eat out much either. Your suggestions are welcome ones though. What you call bashing I see as constructive criticism. I think Dick Gregory once said "Eulogies are only for dead things", I want to see the city thrive again.

Jjw

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rogerjab--I exercise and eat whatever I want with a low cholesterol level and I am pretty physically fit. This is not rocket science. Why don't you get off your fat ass, and cook a healthy meal if you are so fed up with the restaurant choices in the city.
The main reason why I even responded to this idiocy is because you made a blanket statement for the reason for the passing of a former contributer to this thread. Without a medical background, you are stupid to predict the cause of death. There are plenty of young healthy people who pass away from a variety of reasons and your insinuation that it was his diet that caused death without knowledge is ignorant. Also, your blanket statement about no choices in the city to find healthy food is also representative of someone who generalizes without facts. Go eat a carrot at Eastern Market and shut up already with the ignorance.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should just relax and enjoy life. Yeah, exercise and eat well most of the time, but also have fun. Eat the tasty food once in a while. People who don't have fun and are always stressed out have heart attacks too. Work out 5 days this week and then eat a giant burger on Saturday.

I work out 6 days a week, so I don't really worry about what I eat. Maybe that's ignorant, but I feel fine.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Rogerjab--I exercise and eat whatever I want with a low cholesterol level and I am pretty physically fit. This is not rocket science. Why don't you get off your fat ass, and cook a healthy meal if you are so fed up with the restaurant choices in the city.
The main reason why I even responded to this idiocy is because you made a blanket statement for the reason for the passing of a former contributer to this thread. Without a medical background, you are stupid to predict the cause of death. There are plenty of young healthy people who pass away from a variety of reasons and your insinuation that it was his diet that caused death without knowledge is ignorant. Also, your blanket statement about no choices in the city to find healthy food is also representative of someone who generalizes without facts. Go eat a carrot at Eastern Market and shut up already with the ignorance."

And I'm the juvenile, sounds like you're about to have a heart attack any minute, calm down will ya and have another Big Mac. I got my answer no thanks to you. You really prove you have no idea what you're talking about, hey did ya know you can smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, eat cheese omelettes and have low cholesterol if you just walk?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any breakfast restaurant in the city of Detroit will make you an omlet with no meat in it, no cheese, with basic diner vegetables.

Egg Beaters are disgusting. Eat a damn egg, it will not kill you, in moderation, unless you have specific directions from your doctor to avoid them. Waving a red flag in front of people on this forum is probably much more dangerous to your health.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab I am unaware of anyone revealing the cause of itsjeff death.In fact I am unaware that anyone knows. And in fact it is probably none of our i.e. yours and mine's business how he died_ but two things are certain you don't know and you show a complete lack of tactfulness and style by attempting to use his passing to make a point_ especially when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.If you don't like the amount of ham in your eggs don't eat at that place. And in the good words of Frank Sinatra when someone chastised him for smoking .."You die your way, I'll die mine".. he wa in his eighties when he died........

Which leads me to the dumb post here about Bo Schembechler. He had life long heart trouble. He changed his life style.Which is likely why he lived to seventy seven years old. Perhaps being a bit even a tiny bit informed before posting could be a goal.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can't exercise for some reason, then yeah eat healthier food all the time. If you do exercise then you should reward yourself with tasty food.

It's not old restaurants that are bad for your health, its fast food. There have been family restaurants for hundreds of years in Europe and America. We only started getting fat with fast food.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, and there's no proof that high fat foods (Atkins), and cigarettes (RJ Reynolds) cause any health problems, what the heck was I thinking...sorry. Now you geniuses carry on and tell me how I can do ingest anything I want as long as I get a little exercise. brilliant!
Listen my original post asked if there were healthy inexpensive restaurant alternatives in Detroit.

And I repeat no one should be dying at 42 or 52 from a heart attack unless it's congenital, and no I'm not a doctor, but I do play one in various forums.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Jeff - the tone of this and so many other threads is unnecessarily nasty. Civility and humor would be one way to honor his memory.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not talking about using drugs, smoking, or drinking. I don't do any of those things nor would I encourage anybody else to. I'm talking about food. Jesus Christ Rogerjab, you got to lighten up and have some fun once in a while.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't know that he died of a hear attack.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 748
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damnit he shares my name... I'm a funeral director at a high volume funeral home and see many death certificates with causes of death on them. Roger is kind of right. Even though it is a blanket statement, people who have died of heart issues at a young age, will usually have 'yes' next to smoking on their death certificate and be over weight. However, I definetly don't go around chastising people, much more a CITY for crying out loud, about eating unhealthy! In my line of work after seeing what I have seen I do watch what I eat and do exercise so I don't have a free trip to an autopsy table when I am 46 years old or whatever. Please see the latest National Geographic with their heart articles. Some very interesting things to ponder about your ticker.

Furthermore, there are plenty of options in this city and anywhere to eat healthy. If you go out split a meal. That's what I do. And I know this type of person that Roger is. All marathon runners are exactly alike. They eat foods that will ONLY direclty help their bodies. Thats fine, but eating a few eggs that aren't egg beaters is alright. Seriously.

It's personal choices not the fact that their are McDonald's and Red Robin's around for why people are fat. Let it go man. It's nice that you care so much about everyone not having a heart attack, but people aren't dumb. They know what they are putting in their bodies.

Also to bring up ItsJeff in this thread is just unbelievable and extremely distasteful (pun intended).

Rogerjab

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Millwaukee I've got no argument there, I have a few beers from time to time, eat crap from time to time and even smoke a little dope. But 90% of the time I try to eat pretty healthy. I just always notice in Detroit comparatively to other cities the meals are much more fat and calorie laden, and quite frankly I rarely eat out at all. Now I know I caught some wrath for bringing Jeff into the conversation. All I asked is to point me to some healthy eating establishments, and not a salad from McDonalds. Anyway, I got some suggestions and I'm happy with that. Now I'm going to go watch the U of D game and curse at Brandon Cotton probably over a couple of beers....cheers dude!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that I have found plenty of great food in the city, if its healthy or not I really don't care. I only go out to eat once in a while one meal that tastes great but is bad for you isn't going to kill you. All things in moderation, that is how my family lives and the average life span is 87. Health is really a personal thing that you can't give broad labels too. People tell me to eat fruit there are many fruits that I am allergic to and I will die. So I'll pass. Its about finding what works best for you, plain and simple. And the lack of exercise is a huge problem in Detroit, eating healthy is important but when people just sit all day it doesn't matter what you eat.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea Adam on the splitting of meals, and it wasn't the eggs that bothered me at "Louies" it was the pound of ham it the western omellete, with a side of ham, now that's typically Detroit. As far putting everything in my body that's good for me, not always but like someone else said "everything in moderation". As far as Jeff goes I didn't even know the guy, and I apologize if I've offended anyone. But why is it so damned horrible to learn from his mistakes as opposed to just making him a saint. I am quite sure that if he was half the guy that others said he was, wouldn't he want it that way?
And again I know it's not my place. OK, continue the barage!

Nighternock

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York City is banning restaurants from using trans fats. I believe that the states of Connecticut and New Jersey are also considering this. I feel this is great. The fed and obviously the food industries could care less about what kind of poison is being peddled. This will hopefully force the hands of the food industry and maybe even the federal government. I know people are going to bitch here and say it's people's responsibility to make healthy choices when eating, but man what chance does some undereducated kid living in poverty have against a billion or trillion dollar industry spending mega bucks on advertising and marketing to get these kids and even well off, highly educated kids hooked on these crappy foods. I still struggle walking past the sugared cereal aisle at the supermarket. These industries are clever and have mega bucks. We, as a people, need to pool our resources and fight back for our sake and the sake of our children and our children's children. To me this seems a better use of government resources than fighting bogus wars.

Jjw

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so tired of hearing whiney people not accept personal responsibility. This guy (won't mention name) goes to a restaurant, orders a ham omelet and then complains that he got a ham omelet. WTF is with that???? I can go to any restuarant and choose what I would like to order and choose not to go to a restaurant if I find there is nothing I like on the menu.
1. I do not make assumptions of how others have lived, especially if they are recently deceased.
2. I do not blame a restaurant for not having what I happen to prefer on their menu.
So---Mr. Marathon Runner, I accept your apologies for your assumptions about a former poster.
And--again, if you want to eat healthy, make a decision to do so. And you will find it is not that difficult to do. Who knows?? You may not have to blast the entire population of Detroit because of your perception that your needs are not being met.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Night on the banning of trans fat it is a non food, actually the equivilant of putting poison in your food, but I can hear the geniuses now "you don't have to choose to eat the poison", nice argument. Cause ya know all you have to do is exercise to work off that poison. Some on this board can even see a young man who's maybe 50 pounds or more overweight that fellow also smokes but it has nothing to do with his death, just anecdotal. Even more than that some on this board who defend the actions of these restauranters who generally serve up trash food (poison) don't even live in the city to know what is being served up in that city, that really kind of takes the cake doesn't it?

Nighternock

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Europeans as a whole eat a lot healthier than American and Detroiters eat worse than most Americans. In most, if not all, European countries targeting advertisements to children is illegal. I think that this is where the problem starts. They get us hook real young. Hell, that's why people who are being killed and tricked by industry defend them. Like a baby, they/we don't want the bottle taken away. These industries are smart and well funded. It's not just as easy as saying no sometimes.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look here even McDonalds has more responsibility than some of these out of town crackpots, they are already taking action against trans-fats.

Hey Jjw, tell me the one about that we should have more guns in the city, because guns don't kill people, people kill people.

McDonald's (MCD) has finally found the magic formula to wring the artery-clogging trans fats from its fries.
But most consumers in the USA won't likely be tasting it for a while.

The nation's largest restaurant chain — and world's biggest seller of french fries — has settled upon a new formula for its frying oil. Replacing its partially hydrogenated soybean oil will be a trans-fat-free frying oil made from canola, corn and soybeans, says spokesman William Whitman.

Due to serious supply concerns, the company is mum on when all its locations will have it.

Jams

Post Number: 4821
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just always notice in Detroit comparatively to other cities the meals are much more fat and calorie laden, and quite frankly I rarely eat out at all.

So how have you been doing this scientific study?

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow.

Rogerjab

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never said it was scientific, and I probably eat out a couple times a month, unless I'm out of town. But this city doesn't top the list of fattest and unhealthiest city year in year out because we're a healthy eating mecca. No science needed there, just take a walk down the street and observe.

Jams

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliverdouglas,
Ditto!

Rogerjab

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not totally scientific here's more evidence:

Detroit Takes Title of Fattest City from Houston

Detroit has been named America's Fattest City, after knocking the titleholder Houston down to second place. The list of America's fattest 25 cities is produced each year by men's magazine Men's Fitness. When compiling the list the magazine examines how the 50 largest cities in the US perform in 14 categories, including air quality, climate, commute time, total number of fast-food and pizza restaurants, and number of health clubs and sports stores. The list is now in it's sixth year and Houston, Texas, has been the not-so-proud holder of the title for the last three of those years. Despite Houston's decline to number two, three other Texan cities have shot up the list, so much so that four of the top ten fattest cities in America are in Texas. Dallas rose from ninth last year to third; San Antonio ballooned from 13th to fourth; and Fort Worth went up by a sizeable ten places from 16th to sixth.

SOURCE/REFERENCE: Reported by www.ap.org on the 2nd January 2004

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those that say Detroit's meals are much worse than other places. I have to question that. If you go to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Cleveland you will find virtually the identical foods.

In these days of "Friday's" and "Olive Garden" you will find exactly the same food.

Detroit however has poor folks in it that eat too many carb based foods and not enough other foods. Why? Because carbs are cheap!

Detroit also has a fair number of rich folks living in the burbs which are big too. This allows these folks eat whatever they want, whenever they want.

There are very healthy options out there. You could eat at an arabic place and order a la cart so you skip the rice and have a fresh carrot apple juice. Yum thats good eatin'!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's your point, Roger? Everybody knows about the fat studies, but I'll wager most folks who post here have reasonably healthy diets, excepting the people who want Cheesecake Factory to open here (kidding!)

I am in Detroit almost every single day, I eat in Detroit and I don't eat crap food. We could all continue to list the places you could get a good healthy meal but you're intent on bitching. Enjoy your broad characterizations and narrow little boxes. I'll be at the Majestic enjoying a Mediterranean-flavored dinner.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've said it before (and this thread supports it):

fatter = bigger boobs

Rogerjab

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't think the idea of banning trans fat is a bad place to start. It sure would help with the health of some here.

As far as chains go, you're right all cities do have the same ones, we just have less of them here, except for places like Dunkin Donuts who has recently announced that they will double their presence in metro Detroit over the next 5 years, bringing the total number of franchises to 60.

But as far as the comparisons to say Mineapolis or Chicago c'mon man. Name me one place in the city where I can get a salad at neighborhood restaurant? And don't give me some foo foo restaurant, I just want to sit down and get a good soup and salad bar here...doesn't exist. I know for a fact it does in Chicago or Minneapolis, I won't speak for Cleve. or Mill. but the other two I've seen on my own. Hey, if everyone knows that Detroit is the fattest city then the argument is over. I'm not intent on bitching, but I am intent on seeing some of these grease pits stop killing their customers and if banning trans fat is the only way then thats a better way than committing dietary homicide on their unwitting patrons,

Mackcreative

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to agree with Detroitplanner, I constantly see kids eating Now & Laters and bags of Cheetos--because they're $.25 at every gas/liquor store, produce is more expensive and spoils.

If healthy lifestyle is what you're looking for Detroit offers great biking, since so much of the city is flat. I routinely bike through really bad areas that I'd be afraid to go through on foot.

There are few better places for a run than Belle Isle, add the bridge for some terrain and you've got an easy +6mile run.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, you can get a great grilled chicken salad at Louie's...the same place with the extra ham in the omelette Westerm omelette. I am one of the people who proclaimed Louie's greatness and I must say that yes, their breakfast portions are huge! I bring out a box and have breakfast the next morning too!
If you are looking for really healthy food, I'm not sure why you would go to what is obviously a diner, hole in the wall, greasy spoon type of establishment in the first place. Besides, there's more to Louie's than just the food...it's the "ambience" so to speak that most of us enjoy. It's the atmosphere, combined with the food, that make it an enjoyable place to go after church on a Sunday morning. I don't frequent a lot of fancy restaurants, so I don't have other suggestions for you.
I also think it was very rude of you to bring up the death of someone who was obviously well liked and popular on this forum as an example of someone who probably didn't take care of himself and died because of it. I'm not sure anyone here is sure of how he died and I feel it is disrespectful to even "go there". It's not my business...I don't believe that it is yours either.
I'm really not trying to be mean here, but please.....think about what you are saying before you post something. A lot of people are pretty upset and for a good reason.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salad bars are gross. Do you honestly think a sneeze guard stops anything?

You already know so why are we bothering? Enjoy eating nothing. sheesh.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd suggest www.veganfreaks.com

I can't stress the "freaks" part enough.

quote:

Name me one place in the city where I can get a salad at neighborhood restaurant?

They list in the hundreds. Now quit being a dick.

Jams

Post Number: 4826
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab will be a grouchy old poster in here in 2107, bitching about something he rarely goes too. Good for him.

The rest of us probably won't be here, good for us.

Or possibly, Woody Allen was right with his movie "Sleeper" and all that was "BAD" for us turned out to be good for us.

No matter what... Please pass the Sour Cream and chives for my baked potato

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now I know why I hadn't read this thread until now.
Worthless

Wsugrad
Username: Wsugrad

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lame and an insult to all the hardworking local restaurant owners (as in - IN DETROIT) who overcome a lot of odds to stay open and STILL serve a variety of healthy and delicious items at reasonably affordable prices (Byblos, Cass Cafe, Russell Street Deli, Eph McNally's, Old Campus Restaurant, Union Street, Z's Place, Honest John's - the list goes on and on).

Agree - worthless thread.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger, try an arabic restraunt for a good fattoosh or tabouli salad. They are all over my part of Detroit.

This from the National Institute of Health explains the link between poverty and obesity.
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/drcpt/beoconf/postconf/overview/drewnowski2.pdf

(Message edited by detroitplanner on February 24, 2007)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Rogerjab person could get hit by a bus tomorrow or just fall over and die. We never know when it will happen.
I feel sorry for Rogerjab because he/she thinks he/she has control over his/her lifespan.
YOU HAVE NO CONTROL.
Live well and be nice to people.
We will forgive you for being so smug and completely clueless about the meaning of life.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 868
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To those that say Detroit's meals are much worse than other places. I have to question that. If you go to places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Cleveland you will find virtually the identical foods."

That's very true. I should point out that Milwaukee is the 15th fittest city in America. All of these cities have great health food stores and vegetarian restaurants. The traditional food is essentially the same. Sausages, pizza, custard, doughnuts.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news /20050105/americas-fittest-fat test-cities

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope Roger insn't another Jim Fixx or former Flint Northwestern Star Barry Stevens who died last week at 43 after a very pristine life.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's "barrage"

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Healthy meal plan for Detroit Diners:
Sunday: Seafood soup and fresh juices at any of
SWD's Taquerias
Monday: Soup and Salad at Slows
Tuesday: Sushi at the Thai Place in Eastern Mkt.
Wednesday: Lentil based dishes and fresh juices at any of the Arabic places in Dearborn
Thursday: Bengali-Vegetarian at Alladin Sweets on Conant
Friday:Gardenburger at Cass Cafe
Saturday:Shop at Eastern Mkt and cook at home

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post BarnesFoto. I would add lunch or dinner at Byblos on palmer and cass. The bacon they serve is turkey bacon. the sadads and soups are good. there are multiple meatless entres available as well. I confess i enjoy the lamb from time to time though.

Mackcreative

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab: another good place for a long run is Hines Dr., though not in Detroit, the trail is nice and you can easily put in 20+ mile runs, there are parks with toilets along the way too.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 870
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner had a great post, I agreed with everything he had to say. Poor folks eat the worst. Compare the prices and quality of food between something like Super Valu or a Party Store to Whole Foods. I assure you, you won't be finding any vegan meals at a party store, maybe some malt liquor and chips. Poor folks gotta eat, they eat what they can afford.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well to go way off on a tangent (and get away from some of this nastiness)...

Why is Almond Boneless Chicken virtually unknown in Chinese restaurants outside of Michigan??

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

assure you, you won't be finding any vegan meals at a party store, maybe some malt liquor and chips. Poor folks gotta eat, they eat what they can afford.

I don't know what party stores carry but at a typical grocery store stuff like beans, rice, barley, oatmeal and canned or frozen vegetables are not expensive. You don't need to go to Whole Foods to eat healthier.

(Message edited by Pam on February 25, 2007)

(Message edited by Pam on February 25, 2007)

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a life without coney dogs? Not one worth living that's what. Can we find a way to work at least one of these sweet pieces if bliss into a healthy diet?

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rogerjab, I may not agree--but I get what your saying, and to each his/her own. If it makes you happy, then keep on keepin' on. But...

I can see the inherent value of eating healthy food, and by no means do I deny that it is a smart choice for one's personal health but all the while, a well rounded, vast, culinary palate is a deep well-spring of nothin' but joy.

Plus what ever happened to "Moderation in all things"?

Or, "There is a time and place for everything"
(Both in food choices and certain incendiary comments, intentions notwithstanding.)

And lastly, to paraphrase Jack London-
"The purpose of life, this great gift, is to LIVE, to drown in the glory of it all, not to EXIST, skimming the surface, no matter how long or short it may be. Desires to prolong it seem criminal when those desires don't fill it." (A creed, I feel, ItsJeff embodied.)

Chilidogs from a street vendor on a brisk sunny fall day in Ann Arbor...

Driving to McDonald's with good friends at 3 in the morning just because you have in inexplicable craving for french fries...

Getting 3 greasy burgers with fried onions and a Coke at Tel-Way Hamburgers because it reminds you of your Dad, who was taken away from you too early...

Thats living. *Soul* food baby...

I argue this point,humbly, because I believe that even 'unhealthy' foods, and many times, *especially* them, enrich our lives in different ways other than nutritional value, and that should neither be denied, nor overlooked--Even in instances in excess, should it serve some deeper purpose.

By all means, I don't presume you to be absolved of this raison d'etre (I've always wanted to post that word here!) just because you choose of your free will to make healthy choices in your diet. This is just IMHO.

It may not see me to 75, hell-even 50, but the years i had will be damn good...

(Message edited by Korridorkid on February 25, 2007)

Milwaukee

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Getting 3 greasy burgers with fried onions and a Coke at Tel-Way"

Tel-Way Hamburger stand on Michigan. That was the first burger I had in Detroit. They're tiny. I went there with my parents. We all ordered one each, then we realized how small they were and got a couple more each. That's a cool old place, thanks for reminding me.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a problem, Milwaukee

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.