Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Elderly Gay Detroit Man Hospitalized After Hate Crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrew Anthos, a 72-year-old gay Detroit man, has been hospitalized since he was savagely attacked in an anti-GLBT hate crime on Feb. 13 and is currently fighting for his life in Detroit’s Receiving Hospital.

http://www.tri.org/violence/at tack.html

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall talking to him at one of the festivals downtown about eight to ten years ago. I recognized him when I saw the Capitol building and the American flag. A lot of people are easy to forget after you talk to them, he certainly isn't one of them.

Sad. It had to be an absolutely brutal attack to leave him in that condition.

(Message edited by rjk on February 23, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077022304 14

Hate crime or not...just sick.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he the guy that used to be in Greektown singing wearing a robe in the summer?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, that does look like "Jean Vegas" the greektown performer. He said he was going to retire last summer because no one appreciated him. Well, damnit, I did.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5149
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He'd become a kind of celebrity, here in Lansing, with his wish to have the dome of the capitol lits in red, white, and blue for the 4th of July. The paper would do stories on his proposal, and it always made sense to me.

This is just sick and sad.

Here's a column in Lansing State Journal's on him and the incident:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070223/COLUM NISTS09/702230350

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet the City STILL refuses to let Sheriff's Deputies provide security on board city buses. This could have been prevented.

Johnberk

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Warriorfan, I forgot that story was in the news just one week ago:

Council rejects putting deputies on buses

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TV 2 just reported he has passed away.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no. So sad. I purchased a card today for my favorite Detroit entertainer... He'll be missed

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible that things like this still happen in 2007 :-(

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just horrible. And terrifying since I live very near there. I am sickened by this.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5157
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Lansing State Journal blurb:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070224/NEWS0 1/70224001

I always thought his idea to light the capitol dome different colors for different holidays was a great idea. Hopefully, someone in the legislator of the executive office will push for this to happen in his memory since he tried tirelessly for something that would require almost nothing to do.

What an incredibly heinous and senseless crime.

(Message edited by lmichigan on February 24, 2007)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's even more of a crime is that no one attempted to help out, and there is no one stepping up to act as a witness to give a better description of the murderer. Heard that from an interview with Jeff Montgomery this afternoon.

Johnberk

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following arrangements have been made for his funeral:

Public viewing and visitation from 2 - 9 PM on Tuesday, February 27.

Funeral service will be held at 1PM on Wednesday, February 28.

The viewing and service will be at the Ford Funeral Home, 26560 Van Dyke; Center Line, MI 48015 (586) 754-2464

For information regarding the investigation please contact Melissa Pope, Triangle Foundation's Director of Victim Services at melissa@tri.org or (313) 537-3323 x112.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's even more of a crime is that no one attempted to help out, and there is no one stepping up to act as a witness to give a better description of the murderer. Heard that from an interview with Jeff Montgomery this afternoon.

And remarkable given the fact that the bus stop is about 150 feet from the door of his apartment building, in the Lafayette Park neighborhood which is quite densely populated.

Anyone wondering why "the gays" don't come into Detroit and do some sprucing up should look no further than this incident. There is NEVER any good news for the gay community in Detroit - it's always bad news.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.
I interviewed him for The State News probably five or six years ago. Really nice man. Really devoted to his cause.
It is a complete shock that something like this is still happening, especially in Michigan. While the state did feel it necessary to ban gay marriage, this isn't Wyoming or Alabama or Texas. Such a barbarian act.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it a complete shock that a gay guy gets killed in a city that has a lot of homicide? Is it any worse than the girl killed outside of Red Square during Super Bowl week allegedly for using 'nigger' as an epithet? Is it any worse than a homeless guy beaten to death?

So now the gay community has an image they can hold up as their experience of violence in the City of Detroit. Welcome to the club. Now will you help do something about it or will you just walk away and leave trying to fix it to others?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, did you even read the article? The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being gay.

And this "so now the gay community has an image" thing is bs. As if this were the first thing. Why the hell do you think all the gay folks left Palmer Park 20 years ago?

This isn't specifically a Detroit thing. It's a state and regional thing. The atmosphere for gay people is very negative. I personally think the gay community should walk away from Detroit and Michigan. If you have no family or job obligations here and you are gay or lesbian, go to Chicago where they actually want you.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6369
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Detroit has been the murder capital off and on for years.

Headlines:

"The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being gay."

"The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being black."

"The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being white."

"The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being poor."

"The guy was harrassed on the bus and then FOLLOWED and murdered, for being rich."

Substitute "murdered" for "raped"

Substitute "guy" for "girl"

Get in line.

And if you think Dialh's suggestion of moving to Chicago will help, you're just following a trend that all of the above have done in Detroit for decades.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, can you cite any specific examples within the past year of someone being murdered in Detroit for being white, poor, rich, or black?

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this isn't Wyoming or Alabama or Texas."

what an uninformed statement. birmingham (al), austin, dallas, houston, all have large and out gay communities, particularly austin. i've lived many places and michigan doesn't have a reputation of being particularly enlightened toward the gay community.

Karl

Post Number: 6371
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Warrior, I checked, and no - all the murders in Detroit were committed simply because someone wanted to pull a trigger or push a blade. No reason whatsoever. It is only the gay community that is truly targeted in Detroit, all others are just casual encounters.

Really, if the gay community, in Detroit of all places, thinks that an uptick based on one murder elevates their status as "victim" you've got alot to learn about murder and Detroit.

Murder is sad and senseless. As I said, get in line.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9243
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is even worse is that this isn't the first attack against gay people in Detroit and it certainly won't be the last.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, *I* checked, and discovered that murder typically involves this thing called a "motive." So sure, some murders happen because someone just has that pesky urge to "pull a trigger or push a blade." But typically you'll find there's more to it.

Brainiac.

Besides, don't you live in Arizona or something? What qualifications do you have to comment on the state of ANYTHING in Detroit.

Shoo! Back to non-detroit issues with you!

Karl

Post Number: 6375
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial, if you didn't pick up just a bit of sarcasm in my post, you can adopt that "brainiac" label.

Sometimes I'm in AZ, but not at the moment. I guess murder is strictly a Detroit thing? Again, "brainiac" for you.

Outoftowner
Username: Outoftowner

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this isn't Wyoming or Alabama or Texas."

"What an uninformed statement." Really? I thought it was right on. Detroit, Michigan.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not that this man being killed because he was gay makes it any worse than anyone else for being anything else. The biggest difference by far is that gay people have more mobility and will not stick around if they feel that they are being targeted. The elderly man was killed with out provocation, beyond the fact that he was gay. In the end I feel that saying that it is okay that he was killed because of lots of people have been killed in Detroit is crazy. Try being sympathetic.

Karl

Post Number: 6377
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois, with all due respect: Sympathy has done nothing to solve the problem over the years, and now it has come to this. Senseless. Seemingly unsolvable. If Detroit is to rise from the ashes, it will take more than sympathy.

It all starts in the home. May I (once again) suggest the hard medicine of Bill Cosby as a first step.

6nois

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Cosby could have done great things if he had approached the issue in a sensitive way but everyone just discounts him as a loon now. People working together, of all races, creeds, and sexualities, is going to do the most in fixing Detroit. There is total break down of communication between groups. And until people are willing to set aside their differences and work together instead of being so positive everyone is out to get them. Detroit will not change. There are always going to be people with less than optimal upbringings. You can't change that, but you can help prevent crime and make the city a better place by teamwork.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there goes yet another Detroityes thread.

Dialh:
Gays [like you and I] should not walk away from the city of Detroit. We should instead press the city with some outrage about the recent bus decision, about the sometimes shaky reputation the city sometimes has with queer people, and about the fact that a murder happened right after a man left a bus in a relatively nice/dense area.
Also, we should - as Detroiters - ask ourselves what exactly breeds this sort of thing and what we can do within the city [perhaps culturally] to prevent it. I think it is unfortunate that you don't want to help institute change.

Lilpup & Karl,
The reason why hate crime legislation exists is because a hate crime is akin in some ways to ideas like ethnic cleansing and the Holocaust. The act of killing someone because of their ethnicity, [trans?]gender, sexuality, and so on is not the same thing as killing someone over drugs or money. Both are horrible acts [and both have the same outcome], however one is based on ideology. It is easier for someone to understand such legislation when he/she has been a victim of discrimination based on sexuality or ethnicity in the past. Maybe it is because we don't want to have to be in the closet in our case [or because a woman does not want to hide her burka etc.]

This is a total shame. I proudly tell friends who question me about living in the city of Detroit that it is a great place to live and that I am never discriminated against here due to my sexuality. I'm willing to bet Andrew Anthos was also a proud Detroiter.

I hope that this will piss complacent people off... people who might not otherwise care about queer issues or city buses.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a kind face! It is so sad....if there is a better place, I hope he is there.

Johnberk

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police have released a sketch of a man wanted in connection with this case. Anyone with information is asked to call Detroit Police at (313) 596-2260 or anonymously call 1-800-SPEAK-UP.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so they must have found a witness

Misssocks
Username: Misssocks

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole concept of "hate crimes" is an attempt to offer special rights to protected groups, (i.e., gays). What it is in reality is legislating THOUGHT. The act of murder is already illegal. Branding the murder a "hate crime" simply piles an additional charge on top of it...what the murderer what THINKING before he committed the act.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a murderer is thinking before he or she commits the crime is relevant to the sentence received. That's why there are categories such as 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, etc. This is hardly a new concept.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"special rights"? "Protected groups"? Give me a break.

The person killed is dead. They're not in ANY group, and not subject to ANY rights.

And it's not like we "protect" gays in this country, and they certainly don't have any "special rights" while alive. Hell, they can't even get married: Too many nosey people butting in on their lives.

I wish people would at least get new talking points from time to time. The old ones are just stupid, and don't stand up to any intelligent analysis. But viewpoints based on neurosis and fear seldom do.

Misssocks

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Premeditated murder is indeed considered different from a "crime of passion" but that is different from adding a separate and additional charge based on the general mindset of any given individual. This is why you can sit around talking about how much you hate gays or blacks with a bunch of your buddies but if you change the topic to your plans to rob a bank, you're committing an act of conspiracy. Gays are "protected" in that it seems to be perfectly okay to "hate" women and methodically murder them, like Ted Bundy, but there is no lobby to protect females as a class (because it's absurd). The Matthew Shepard case is a perfect example. How many women have been out with a couple of guys and raped and left for dead since the beginning of time?

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Balderdash!

Those opposing hate crime laws always use murder as an example, but for several reasons using murder as an example is deceptive. This is because murder of any kind is already the most extreme form of crime, and although there are degrees (first, second etc.) all murders are taken seriously.

But...most crimes, and most hate crimes, do not involve murder. Instead, they involve less dramatic acts whose impact is in fact made much more serious by the addition of the element of hate.

For example; the person who spray paints "Elvis lives!" on the side of a convenience store and the person who spray paints "Kill Jews!!!" on the side of a synagogue have NOT committed equivalent acts of vandalism.

The first case is vandalism as a prank. The second is vandalism designed to instill fear and intimidate an entire group of people through advocacy of their murder. Random "desecration" of a business establishment and targeted desecration of a house of worship have a completely different intent and different effect, and therefore one is far more serious than the other.

This is because acts such as desecration of synagogues (or targeting members of specific groups for violence) strike at a central premise of American freedom, i.e., that law abiding individuals have a right to live peacefully in their communities even if they are different from those around them.

Adding additional penalties for acts motivated by hatred--the targeting of individuals based upon some stigmatized difference--recognizes this fact, and is therefore appropriate as a measure intended to preserve an invaluable tradition of liberty, and that is the right to be different without fear of reprisal as a consequence.

Missocks wrote;

The whole concept of "hate crimes" is an attempt to offer special rights to protected groups, (i.e., gays). What it is in reality is legislating THOUGHT. The act of murder is already illegal. Branding the murder a "hate crime" simply piles an additional charge on top of it...what the murderer what THINKING before he committed the act.

Bte_in_va
Username: Bte_in_va

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so I guess all you folks here supporting "hate crimes" legislation want to see the killer sent to death row up there in michigan??

Lilpup

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so I guess all you folks here supporting "hate crimes" legislation want to see the killer sent to death row up there in michigan??

??
am I missing the sarcasm or are you unaware of our death penalty laws?

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let me guess, Michigan has no death penalty ?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and we have a winner!

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, since you support additional penalties for crimes if the victim is a part of a protected class, then based on your logic you should be demanding the death penalty when the murder victim is a special class as well....
life imprisonment for killing a hetero father of 3
death penalty for killing a gay activist

Lilpup

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

burned any crosses with your buddies in white lately?

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good comeback when you cant make an argument...

and why do you assume i am white, are you saying blacks cant be opposed to hate crime legislation (i.e. placing one victim on a higher pedestal than other victims of equal crimes)??

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn good points from both bte_in_ va and missocks........

Lilpup

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

making no assumptions - anybody's capable of cross burning

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^again, another great well thought out rebuttal,

i bring up valid points, you respond with childish remarks...
what next, a rebel flag reference??

Lilpup

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your points display an inadequate understanding of the hate crime laws

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your responses display a level of immaturity that leaves you incapable of creating a valid argument....

let me guess, you oppose the death penalty but you support hate crime legislation? so what other way do apply "additional" penalties to somebody facing life in prison for killing a gay/minority/whatever vs a non-protected class? if you say additional years, there is no net effect because the criminal will still be in the slammer for life, whether its life + 10, +50, whatever...based on your demand for additional punishments for so called "hate crimes" , and based on your own logic that you have demonstrated, you have no choice but to give the killer of a straight father of 3 life while the killer of a gay man would get the death penalty....i mean, you gotta punish him additionally for the fact that the victim was gay, right?????

Lilpup

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no - if a gay guy gets killed or injured in a robbery it's not a hate crime

if a white straight guy gets killed or injured by a black guy when the black guy has been shooting off his mouth about sticking honkies or damned whiteys it's a hate crime

if an Asian guy gets killed or injured by a mixed group of black and white guys who are bitching about Asians and the Asian auto industry it's a hate crime

there is no single protected group
it's all about the motivation for the attack
and, as Rampart posted above, murder isn't the best example for application of the hate crime law - it's most often applied in cases of assault, harassment, intimidation, vandalism, etc.

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Under hate crime laws the "protected class" can include any person if hate is demonstrated as a motive.

Bte wrote;

well, since you support additional penalties for crimes if the victim is a part of a protected class, then based on your logic you should be demanding the death penalty when the murder victim is a special class as well....
life imprisonment for killing a hetero father of 3
death penalty for killing a gay activist

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget - a straight guy could be bashed or killed by someone who thought he "looked gay", and that would be a hate crime.

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, so its yet another example of our society going to a "touchy, feely, emotions" society....isnt "hate" a part of every crime?
i mean, if i stole your bike from outside your apt could it be said i hate you for having a bike while i dont, so i stole your bike?

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Bte, all it would mean is that you are a thief who wanted my bike.

(Message edited by RampartStreetNorth on March 09, 2007)

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An attorney I know down south once brought a case against a cop who roughed up a jogger and called him a fag when he found him in a park late at night, because he assumed he was cruising.

In fact, the guy was a married heterosexual man with children who just liked to run late at night because it was cooler then, but that didn't stop the cop from expressing his anti-gay bias with violence directed against a heterosexual man.

Dalongdon wrote;

And don't forget - a straight guy could be bashed or killed by someone who thought he "looked gay", and that would be a hate crime.

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but you had no respect for the laws and values that keep our society together, which would be on par with hate...

Lilpup

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, that is not on par with hate

One incident here saw a young man hold up a store with a sawed off shotgun. He apologized to the clerk during the robbery and explained he had no money but had kids to feed. No hate there.

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you are engaged in a truly tortured argument, saying that "would be on a par with hate" equals hate.

Asserting that it "would be" doesn't make it so, and contempt for the law doesn't = hate any more than an alligator pear = an alligator.

Bte wrote;

but you had no respect for the laws and values that keep our society together, which would be on par with hate...

Bte_in_va

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am glad you goose-steppers are comfortable with legislating feelings such as hate, etc vs actual actions towards other individuals......"you can slice my throat if you want Mr. Killer, just don't do it based on hate I beg you!!!"

6nois

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am confused as to what you don't understand about motive. There can be many reasons someones kills and not all of them are based on hate.

Misssocks

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Adding additional penalties for acts motivated by hatred--the targeting of individuals based upon some stigmatized difference--recognizes this fact, and is therefore appropriate as a measure intended to preserve an invaluable tradition of liberty, and that is the right to be different without fear of reprisal as a consequence."

This concept is so completely fucked up...do you realize you're okaying the idea of the designation of "acceptable" thought? I'm sure you feel that no reasonable person would be racist or sexist or maybe even eat meat or refuse to recycle or whatever the fuck you consider the way a "normal," "intelligent" person would choose to conduct one's life...but to support the idea that legislating any sort of mindframe in the interest of changing the way individual people think...is sick. What do you suppose the purpose of "hate crime" legislation is? To change the mindset of the "criminal"? Or to deter such crimes by the additional charge? Isn't that really rather Orwellian?

Lilpup

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

do you realize you're okaying the idea of the designation of "acceptable" thought?

no, it's not about whether one has the thoughts or emotions, it's about whether one acts on the thoughts or emotions if they are present

expressing hateful thoughts or emotions, within limits, is legal - hence KKK rallies with police protection - providing one stops short of inciting riots, etc.

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, Missocks, I do in fact think that the principle of American liberty is founded upon certain ideological principles (such as those quoted below) and that it is a legitimate purposes of government to protect those ideals.

Do you disagree?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men..."

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missocks, NO ONE here proposes criminalizing thought, only action based upon thought, and, in fact, that is done all the time--hence the difference in criminal penalty between negligent homicide and first degree murder.

Do you also find it "sick" to add a stiffer penalty based upon the "mindframe" of the one who kills?

Misssocks

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Do you also find it "sick" to add a stiffer penalty based upon the "mindframe" of the one who kills?'
Yes. That's my point. One who kills should be charged with killing. Not with killing AND hating gays. I mean, look at the example above where the guy robbed the store to feed his kids or whatever...using hate crime logic...since his reasoning is so honorable, should his degree of punishment be reduced? Or is it simply illegal to hold up a store, and your motivation is immaterial? Are certain emotions and motivations acceptable? "Action based on thought" is already written into law. We're not automatons. Clearly thought is involved in everything we do. My issue is making certain thoughts a crime, bringing additional charges.

Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So then, Missocks, you believe that the one who kills with a "mindframe" of INTENT to kill and one who kills with a mindframe of NO INTENT to kill should be punished identically based on the outcome that both have killed?

Misssocks

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean if someone kills a person by accident versus intentionally setting out to kill them? Manslaughter? I don't understand how that concept relates to this discussion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.