Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ford Brush Park and Alfred Brush Ford Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These parks are along the riverfront and are between Lenox and Alter. What's up with the names?

Alfred Brush Ford Park can only be accessed by car by Alter Road. It is one of the most isolated parks in the city. On the other hand, Ford Brush Park is used often by the residents in the neighborhood.

Given its isolation, Alfred Brush Ford Park could stand some residential development. This might appeal to people who want to live in the city but have the comfort of essentially being in a gated community(one road access). Any thoughts?

Royce

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't get anyone to bite. Where have all of the historians gone?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce I agree with your 100 percent...I think the city needs to sell the eastern half of the park (where riverside blvd leads) in a package deal with the abutting (and defunct) trailor park. However, I would hold out for a high-rise development rather than ANOTHER gated community. That neighborhood is such a hodge podge already. I would preserve public access to the river by keeping the part of Brush Park to the west which is accessed from Lakewood or Lenox.

I do not know who this Alfred fellow is, though.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I think you have your parks a little mixed up. Alfred Brush Ford, a great-grandson of Henry Ford, is the one that became a Hare Krishna, bought the Fisher Mansion on Lenox and turned it into the Bhaktivedanta Cultural Center. The park at the end of Lenox is the A. B. Ford Park. The park to the east, at the end of Alter, is the Lakewood East Park, aka Riverfront Park, aka Angel Park.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the maps are confusing though. Ford park is accessed by Lenox, but according to local.live it has another plot across a canal at the end of Riverview. It is this piece that I think should be sold by the city. At the very end of Alter at Windmill point, is, as Mikem said, Angel Park.

Sister
Username: Sister

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of us who live in the neighborhood, we don't want to see Lakewood East aka Angel Park developed. We do want to see the city to step up to the plate and keep it mowed, etc. We need the landscapes on the river not developments that keep people from enjoying the Detroit River.

Royce

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you all would go into the Keelson Drive thread and downloads the links that Mikem offers, you'll see that the map used for the aerial view names these to parks Ford Brush Park and Alfred Brush Ford respectively.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Royce:

Ford Park can be accessed at the end of Lenox or Lakewood; Riverfront-Lakewood East Park at the end of Alter. I'm with Sister - I'd hate to see this area developed. The trees in those parks look like some of the oldest in the city. Leave this natural area for the residents to enjoy and build the high-rises on former residential or industrial sites.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.