Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Free Coffee with Recycling Drop Off !!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring your recycling to the City of Detroit's Recycle Here! Recycling Center and I will pour you a hot cup of coffee donated by our good friends at Avalon Bakery.

Recycle Here!
1331 Holden Street
Detroit, Mi. 48202

Saturday 9-3

The Recycling People

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11315
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the first time in my life I'm recycling my plastic bags. They are starting to really collect, so I'll probably be swinging by some Saturday during the next month. Question though, do I need to seperate the white plastic bags (grocery bags) from clear plastic bags, such as what you'd get produce in? What about clear plastic with print, such as paper towels and toilet paper?

FYI, if not for reading about your center a few months ago, I'd still have been tossing all these bags in the trash.

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Sport -

Rule of thumb when recycling plastic bags:

If it comes out of a grocery store, then we can recycle it. If it comes out of the mall, then we cannot.

The plastic wrapper on most products is not recyclable at this time - like the wrapper from paper towel. The toilet paper wrapper that has more elasticity to it is okay, but the more crunchy stiff wrapper around bounty paper towel is not.

You do not have to separate by color. We even take the yellow or clear bags that the newspaper/ grocery sale papers come in.

The Recycling People

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I urge, is the reuse of various items-- recycling is good, but even that generates/uses energy as one thing is remade into something else. In the case of those cheapy plastic bags, get in the habit of carrying canvas totes-- The good ones are super-strong, and you can really load those suckers up-- No more exploding bottles of Faygo Redpop as they hit the pavement when the plastic bag bursts open! Live smaller, lessen your footprint-- Mother Terra is the only planet we're likely to have...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Holden Street again?

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their located just south of W. Grand Blvd and west of the Lodge. Trumbull turns into Holden just north of 94.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Dpd_blue. Now I remember.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those canvas tote bags are great. We use them all of the time with great success. Most supermarkets will give you a 10-cent discount for each tote bag you use during each shopping trip. That can add up after a while. It doesn't matter what, if any, supermarket logo is on the bag either. We have used Kroger ones in Whole Foods and vice versa and always gotten the discount no questions asked.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.