Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Death Storm 2007 part Deux « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wondering whats going on at this time.
In the Flint area it drizzled a little, nothing to get excited about.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it always like this before these massive over covered reports about a snow strom. even when it is only 3 inches they have their storm patrol in all parts of the city and endless coverage.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 517
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a little layer of ice. It's supposed to snow a lot later, but I'm not holding my breath.

Psip

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local TV stations hours of local news. Per day
2, 7 1/2 hours
4, 5 hours
7, 5 1/2 hours

The local stations have a lot of time to fill every day. They gotta talk about something. Since we on the whole have an attention span of 2:30 min. and a memory of even less, they feel compelled to repeat and repeat.
IF even 1 school closes, they will all begin coverage at 4AM. Add 1 hour to the above.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To bad they dont use that time effectively with some intelligent, investigative reporting and news. If you ask me it allows more time for them to run advertisements.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dammit! Where's Heidi Cullen when we need her?

:-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know if that TiVo pop up commercial thingy ever happened? That might solve the problem of commercials.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*AGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!* Winter storm in Michigan in, um, the winter! Everybody panic!

Psip

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heidi, the weather "expert" who said that if any weather presenter who does not believe global warming is caused by man, should have their AMA rating revoked.
She may not look like a weather bunny, but she sure thinks like one.
Gotta love her little hip bump though.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Storms generate more traffic to the News hour then the local networks other favorite topic, murder south of 8 mile, or a favored runner up , layoffs by the big 3 because greedy retirees expect thier pensions to be honored resulting in poor sweet hardluck sweetheart CEOs being unable to compete with the Japanese who if you listen to the news don't pay pensions, benefits or wages over $5 /hr.

More traffic to the TV channel means more peeps to watch your advertiser's commercials. I do occasionally watch Chuck Gaidica, but for more accurate and concise weather with less hype, I prefer to listen to Sonny Elliot.

(Message edited by cambrian on February 25, 2007)

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple of days ago channel 4 was calling for 6 to 8 inches for Detroit with ice below I-94. Channel 7 was calling for less snow and more freezing rain, they were saying 2-4 inches in the D. They were both wrong, looks like we got all freeing rain. In GPF the salts trucks have already been by twice, but it still looks pretty icy out there. If the sidewalks stay this icy I can see them cancelling schools all over the area. The only bad part is the most districts will now have to add on days at the end of the year to make up any more lost days. At least on the East Side the ice doesn't seem to be sticking to the trees and power lines very much.

Psip

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Heidi draconian comments.
http://epw.senate.gov/public/i ndex.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom. Blogs&ContentRecord_id=32abc0b 0-802a-23ad-440a-88824bb8e528

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but for more accurate and concise weather with less hype, I prefer to listen to Sonny Elliot.

I get distracted by all his terrible jokes and miss the forecast.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda like the recent concern over the low water level of Lake St Clair.

Wait a few years everyone will be bitching the waters is too high.

Been in panic mode over the storm since Friday.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to be an ass, but aren't you a part of the problem of the perceived "overly dramatic media coverage" of these weather events if you bother to start a thread about it?

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or post in one?

Psip

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was no bother at all to start this thread.
Am I part of the problem? errrr, yea,, ok, happy now?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip: I recall in late 1970s the hype was with all the bad blizzards we were having was that there was another ice age coming. There was even some expert on Leonard Nimoy's program 'In search of' who insisted the polar ice would get so dense in the next 20 years the earth's orbit would be altered.

Psip

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Cambrian, in the 70s the concern was the coming ice age. Proof was the 1972 (?) 19.5 inch snow fall we had here in Detroit on Dec. 1. Everything was mucked up for a week.
Of course back then, the weather service didn't have all the prognostication tools they have now to scare the bejesus out of us.
People looked out the window and said, wow, thats a lot of snow. I better stay put.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah the olden days, when people thought for themselves.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't even remember what it was like to ask, "I wonder what the weather is going to be like tomorrow?''I guess I'd better watch the 5 o'clock news".
In the middle of a bad storm, I'm all over Doppler Radar and not even looking at the rain outside! I'm sitting telling my husband that it looks like it's raining by the colors on the Radar
Darn computer, "I wish I could qui-chew"!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.